Gastric Bypass on 11/11/15. Any advice?

Options
Hi everyone. I am having my WLS in just a few days, I'm very excited. It's been a very long journey so far but I know it's going to be worth it. A little about myself, I am 41 and when I started my 7 month supervised diet I was 398 lbs, and as of today I have lost 97 lbs. I have been a Vegan for 4 years, but at the start I was an Unhealthy Vegan ( Yes that can happen lol ) I now eat foods I make at home, veggies, fruits & the only processed food I eat is my tofu. For the last almost 8 months I have been VERY ready for my WLS, but the last few days I have started to get a little scared, I hope that's normal lol. I would love any advice on how to handle things after my new life begins :-)

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    The benefits and side effects outweigh all apprehensions. The process works, if you use it properly.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm not vegan, but I know that @ThinGwen and @martabeerich both follow primarily plant based diets, and can probably give you some good advice about getting through the initial diet stages after WLS.
  • RyanVSG
    RyanVSG Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I posted something like this days ago. Freaking out and 2nd thoughts are normal (from what I hear lol). Focusing on the positives is what is getting me through. Don't start reading the minority of folk's horror stories. I started doing that and thinking the worst and it made me way to stressed out. It will be a unique experience for you, as it will for me.. My doctor said 90%+ of people have a positive experience with minimal issues. In fact, Im going in for surgery in 3 hours, and I still have to concentrate on the positives to calm the nerves. Find a good shoulder to lean on who will keep telling you everything is going to be fine. It's super helpful.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    anbrdr wrote: »
    The benefits and side effects outweigh all apprehensions. The process works, if you use it properly.

So much this! I was scared up until the minute they wheeled me into surgery, and even after I had some "what the heck did I just do?????" moments. That all passed quickly as I was feeling better and stronger and seeing progress. I can't even put into words how grateful I am that I was able to find a tool that would help me reach my goals of having good health and a good quality of life.

It's hard to say how exactly to handle your life post surgery - everyone is different, and it seems every surgeon has his own plan for his patients, but the most important and most simple advice I can give is this - do what you are supposed to do according to your surgeon's plan. They won't steer you wrong! Also, take advantage of anything your surgeon and his team have to offer - dieticians, classes, support groups, etc. It's all there to help you succeed! Good luck to you :-)
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Best wishes to you and to Ryan too! You are going to do great - if you weren't a little worried I would be concerned. It's normal and part of the process, like garber6th said follow your plan and your path - everyone is different every journey unique <3 Every day you are going to get stronger and feel better! Welcome to the new you!
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone :-) And RyanVSG I'm excited for you. Cant wait to hear how your doing :-)
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Nerves are SO normal! If you've done your homework and have confidence in your doctor, then just realize that everyone has felt it. You will be fine! Make sure that your dietician gives you specifics on how to handle the first 6 weeks with vegetarian-friendly ideas. I actually made my own soup and blended it. I lived on that. (It will be a while until I make potato-spinach soup again!) You will be so happy you did this! Friend me if you want.
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    1st, congratulations on your pre-surgery weight loss. You have done a wonderful job so far. With your mind-set you can accomplish any thing. Even though I'm only a week out from surgery, I know it's the best decision of my life. I only wish I had done it sooner. I know you won't regret this decision! Best of luck!