Any LCHF Runners?

Options
I've just finished c25k and my first 5k run (Yay!). I'm starting the b210k program soon, and with longer runs all I'm hearing about are carbs and fueling. Does anyone run distances while doing LC? How do you fuel - or do you run fasted? Thoughts, comments, resources would be appreciated.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    If I'm running, you all better start running too cuz something is chasing me.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Congrats! Great feeling, isn't it?

I run pretty much daily, but I get bored if I run too far, so 5M (8K) is about my limit.

I took some nuts with me on my last 8K race. I didn't need them during the race, but I was hungry and ate them all after the race. My energy level was fine -- just hungry.

FWIW, after my first 5K, I decided to focus on improving my pace rather than longer distances. I went from a 10 min/mile pace at my first race to about 8 min/mile on my last.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ - that was me last spring!

@wabmester - do you run fasted?

I'm still very slow (13mm), but like the structure of the program. Speed will come eventually. I do feel better running in a fasted state, just don't want to hurt myself by getting too depleted.
  • knackeredat34
    knackeredat34 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I run 5-12k three or four times a week, mostly fasted. I've experimented with eating breakfast before but I feel fine running fasted and enjoy a large meal when I get back.
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If I'm running, you all better start running too cuz something is chasing me.

Totally me!!!
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options
    I run 5-12k three or four times a week, mostly fasted. I've experimented with eating breakfast before but I feel fine running fasted and enjoy a large meal when I get back.

So you don't get all light headed and pass out? That's what I was looking for - thanks!
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I always run fasted, even for long distances. Just finished a 15k race last weekend (1:33:11 total time, or 10:01/mile pace) and have a half marathon this weekend. I do usually eat something right afterward or my stomach will sometimes get a little wonky, typically a small amount of cheese and a few blackberries.

Good luck on your 10K training!
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options
    No gels or anything mid race @ceciliaslater?
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options
    Awesome time/pace too, btw!
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I stick with shorter distances, mainly 5Ks, and I run fasted if possible. I do have hyponatremia (spelling?) so I try to get extra salt in before the run.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    No gels or anything mid race @ceciliaslater?

Nope, just water!

And I will second the salt @Lillith32 mentioned. I don't do any salt before I run, but definitely make sure I get in plenty afterward. If you start feeling lightheaded or nauseated, I'd think it's more likely an electrolyte issue than a need for carbs.
  • wabmester
    Options
    I often run fasted for my daily runs. Mostly because I just like the idea of boosting ketones after my sleep-fast. But I usually eat a pickle before and after the run to ensure I get some sodium.

On a race day, I have a breakfast of eggs or something. No carbs. It's just so I don't get hungry during the race -- I don't want any distractions. But probably the biggest potential distraction would be the need to visit the bathroom, so maybe racing fasted wouldn't be such a bad idea.

The protein meal will give you some fuel -- you'll get some glucose via GNG, and the protein intake will help prevent muscle catabolism.

If you're worried about bonking, you just need to know your limits. Your training runs should inform your fueling needs. But a 10K would typically be run at a "fat burning zone" pace.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options
    Bonking... I like that term!
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    A few years back I started triathlon training. Did a few but then life happened. We had the most down to earth coach who gave me the most useful info on this subject. He basically said with all his research (and he works with Olympic athletes), it's often a matter of what you have trained your body to do.

This was way before I knew about LCHF and keto. Even then he was suggesting you get fat adapted and I didn't even know what that meant. Basically because you can only store a limited amount of glucose to fuel your body with, then you get light headed, or all kinds of problems when you run out. But if you train your body to run on fat (which is what you're doing if you're in ketosis) you basically have unlimited fuel, or at least way more than you're probably going to need. Now this is a simplified version to be sure, but you get the picture.

The next questions was always about water. He said "Nobody every died from dyhydration while running planned races. But there was that one guy who died on the course from OVER hydration".

We always trained without carrying water. We made sure we were well hydrated on a daily basis to be sure. In my runs, I only brought water if I was going to run longer than 15km. I usually only started to drink at around 18km unless it was something like 40C. But if you take water with you on every training run, and sip it all the way through, you're training your body to need it. Very interesting. Currently my partner and I do a lot of walking/hiking. We don't take any food or water and our average Sunday hike is about 6-7hrs and a good strong pace often up steep hills/mountains. We're hungry when we get home, but not in a passing out kinda way. Just hungry because we haven't eaten all day.

So that being said, you can totally train yourself to run fasted without water for 10km.
    That being said, everyone is different and you should listen to your body first and foremost. If there is anything I have learned along the way is nobody really knows anything for sure when it comes to health and the body. It's all just theory that can help you discover what works best for you. :-)

Congratulations on your running accomplishments thus far!! That is a huge huge thing you did and the first 5k, are really the hardest! You're golden now!

Way to go! Makes me want to get back in the pool... if I didn't have to get up so darned early to do it!
  • knackeredat34
    Options

So you don't get all light headed and pass out? That's what I was looking for - thanks!

No, I used to get light headed when exercising before keto but it's really helped blood sugar issues. Also, I don't get the same sort of tired anymore, it's an odd sensation and my muscles recover so much quicker now.

• wabmester
    Options

... and my muscles recover so much quicker now.

I ran a race during the summer. It was 400m, so pretty much a sprint. One of the guys I ran against was 20 years younger than me and obviously in good shape. At the end of the race, he was bent over trying to catch his breath. I was barely breathing hard and completely recovered in no time.

The shorter recovery time is pretty amazing. Especially when you're standing next to a sugar burner. :)
  • knackeredat34
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

I ran a race during the summer. It was 400m, so pretty much a sprint. One of the guys I ran against was 20 years younger than me and obviously in good shape. At the end of the race, he was bent over trying to catch his breath. I was barely breathing hard and completely recovered in no time.

The shorter recovery time is pretty amazing. Especially when you're standing next to a sugar burner. :)

Yes! sometimes i feel a little like a super hero
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm not super low carb, but I do run a bit. Like Wabmester, I get bored after a while, so I tend to run 3-5 miles at a time. I usually run first thing in the morning so usually before breakfast. I'll grab some nuts, or a spoonful of avocado or nut butter.

When I was LOWERING carbs, running took some patience. But now I don't notice the difference. But again, I'm not all that low carb. Probably 60-80 NET. (I don't really log)
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I like to run - it's my antidepressant, lol! Even before venturing into the low carb way of eating, I would run in the morning fasted. I just don't feel good if I have food in my belly and run. The first couple of days eating low carb I felt a bit sluggish, but quickly felt better and had great energy. My typical runs are about 3-5 miles between 10-11 min/mile.
    I'm also not super low-carb - I just try to keep it under 100g/day, which is really easy and I usually end up (unless I eat fruit, which is apparently one of my weaknesses) around 50-75g.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options
    Good info, thanks everyone. I'm just going to try it and see how it goes. I feel better running fasted, so we'll just have to experiment and see.