VSG this Thursday! Anyone have last minute 2nd thoughts?

Options
RyanVSG
RyanVSG Posts: 19 Member
Mildly freaking out internally about Thursday! Wondering if this is still the right decision to end years of unsuccessful attempts at maintenance and yo-yo'ing or if there's something else I haven't tried that is the magic key. Going in, I knew the answer was that this is the right decision because nothing else has ever worked long term (since I was 16) but now the nerves have me second guessing it all. Anyone else go through this?

Replies

• AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I understand your feelings and conflict. I called to schedule my surgery today (just got all approvals and negative nicotine results to prove that I quit smoking). I was soooo excited and terrified and nervous! When I called, I found out that the scheduler is on vacation until this Thursday! I took it as a sign, then realized that I'm being crazy, then panicked again, then wanted to cry, then wanted a beer, then sucked it up and moved on lol. It's such a confusing and emotional journey...I'm just accepting that I'm temporarily insane.
  • boncharlie
    boncharlie Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Freaking out is normal! I was completely freaking out as I was getting booked in and even whilst I was prepped and ready on the trolley I kept thinking WHAT AM I DOING?? .... and even after the surgery when I was feeling the pain and nausea, I still thought that maybe I had made a mistake. But now....... now after only 3 weeks, I know it was absolutely the right thing to do. We are all here for different reasons but we all want the same result - to lose weight, be healthy and start a positive journey with food and exercise. The second guessing is natural but you started this journey with a destination in mind - you are almost there.... Let us know how you are doing... and remember all the freaking out, all the pain, all the discomfort..... it is worth it. The only real advice I can give is close your eyes and jump!!!!! :)
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I had second thoughts, as well. three months out (today!) and I'm super happy I did it
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Yes. A little bit. Especially since I saw success with the pre surgery diet. But then I reminded myself that the surgery was ALSO about helping me maintain the loss, which I haven't been successful with. I even had some complications which kept me in the hospital an extra day. But almost 3 months post surgery, I have no regrets. I haven't lost fast. And I have worked my *kitten* off for where I am now. But it's my journey. I knew this was a good choice for my wellness. I want to be healthy and active. It was getting hard to be fat AND old
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Wonderwomanvik Posts: 2,932 Member
    Options
    I had huge second thoughts. I almost called to cancel several times. I told the nurse in preop I wasn't sure I could go through with it. She said it was normal to feel that way, but if I truly didn't want the surgery to let her know. I had a hard recovery, I've been in the hospital three times since. It's not easy, but I'm finally beginning to feel as though I made the right decision. It's not easy, but it's worth it!
    Stay strong and know you're not alone in your fear, or your journey!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Of course! I had to lose 20 pounds pre-op (shrink the liver, makes the surgery easier) and did. It wasn't hard and I started thinking that I would just continue on my surgeon's non-surgical plan. But as he pointed out, if I had been able to lose it and keep it off anytime in my life, that might be a good plan. He was right, I lost and gained so much through the years. I'm 4.5 years out, this is the best thing I've done for myself ever.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who has had the surgery who DIDN'T have second thoughts to some degree. It's natural, it's a huge life altering, body altering, mind altering decision. I also don't know of anyone who had regrets about their choice. Personally, it's the best choice I ever made for myself. I know what went into my decision, and even though I was extremely nervous, I trusted myself to do what was best for me. It can seem like a really scary thing to have surgery, but I see it as a really brave thing to do. I am really excited for you!!!
  • RyanVSG
    Options
    Thank you. I appreciate all this. Trying to keep a good mind set despite the worry.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I had a rough night before surgery. I had been really successful with my pre-op weight loss (lost 100 of the 180 I wanted to lose) and started to think about having severe complications during the surgery. I had a talk with both of my kids about what would happen if I didn't come home and that's when the real second thoughts hit me hard.

I talked with the surgeon as we were prepping for the surgery and he was great. He told me it was up to me entirely, and I could pull out until I was unconscious. He also reiterated his belief that the surgery was the right path, even with my pre-surgery success. My yo-yo history hadn't changed and unfortunately, the literature suggests that most folks with large weight loss will still regain. I went through with the surgery and have never regretted it one bit.

The pre-surgery weight loss allowed me to hit my goal of 180 pounds lost within the 'honeymoon period' and I am now just over a year out from surgery and learning the maintenance routine.

You'll do great!

Rob
  • RyanVSG
    Options
    @rpyle111 - thank you. It's great to hear. Big day is tomorrow!
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Wishing you the best with your surgery tomorrow. Keep us updated on you progress!
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you! Prayers and positive thoughts for a speedy recovery and the beginning of a new chapter!!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Thinking about you! You got this!
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    good luck today!!
  • RyanVSG
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thanks all! IV in and just waiting for 3pm CST to arrive for the big event. Thank you for all the well wishes they help (well, that and the clonezapam they gave me for nerves). B) I'll check back in when I'm lucid again later. Thanks again!
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Hey Ryan. Right now you're getting very close to the event. I'm wishing you the best. I had the surgery in March and have NO regrets. I think for most there's doubts about if you're doing the right thing. But for the VAST MAJORITY, it is. The first few days you might have a "what have I done to myself" moment of two. But as the weeks and months pass you'll realize how lucky/grateful you are to have had the surgery.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You got this, Ryan VSG!
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Best of luck! Had my surgery last Wednesday (rny) and I'm doing amazingly well. I know you will do great! Keep us all posted!
  • Athollass
    Athollass Posts: 39 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    2nd thoughts, yes. Regrets NO! I was mostly scared of the surgery/complications, recovery and following the post-op plan. It has been rough adjusting but I am reaping the benefits of my weight-loss tool. From here on out it's learning a new lifestyle and enjoying the journey. My hubby has his appt. with the surgeon next week so he will be joining me soon. Best wishes as you begin your journey towards health.
  • RyanVSG
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I made it through. No nausea/vomiting from the anesthesia! Woo hoo! Been walking around on the hour to get this CO2 gas out of my body and relieve the pressure. 2x so far. Dying for some ice chips. Hopefully I'll get something to wet my whistle but it's tolerable in the mean time. So happy that things were worse in my head.