What's your thoughts on exercis?

Options
2»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Jogging did that for me. I remember breaking into giggles on 5 or 10 km runs....That and hiking. Not much beats standing on top of a mountain.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    We should certainly break a sweat 2 or 3 times a week, but there are hundreds of ways of doing that. People who keep their weight off for 5 years or more usually exercise 5 hours a week. So while it is not mandatory for weight loss, it might be for maintenance. Personally I love to exercise. Zumba, ping pong, weight lifting, HIIT, walking, swimming - it's all fun!
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I didn't do anything for the first month because I wanted to focus on diet. Since then I have been exercising, especially weight lifting. I have quite a bit of weight to lose so I want to do my best to retain the muscle I have( I'm do everything I can to try to mitigate the amount of loose skin) I have also taken up yoga, hike when it's not raining non-stop, and try to increase my daily movement by using my Fitbit. As others have said , it's not necessary for weight loss but it does help with stamina and toning.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I think I would enjoy yoga is that a strength training or cardio ? And is there a dvd any of you can recommend?
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    If you have some space at home, try this youtube yoga stream. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3vLZqPZxZE

There are a ton of videos on youtube for free, try it out and see how you like it. If it suits you, later look for a studio and try a class. Yoga works on strengthening and stretching both, so you feel good afterward. I like slow stuff now, but the vinyasa style is a great workout.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I haven't exercised more than walking, or dancing to some music, in years because of the pain I experienced when I tried. Even though I haven't I am now (8 months in to this woe) seeing actual muscle definition in my upper arms! I'm amazed at what I am seeing! :smiley:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I haven't exercised more than walking, or dancing to some music, in years because of the pain I experienced when I tried. Even though I haven't I am now (8 months in to this woe) seeing actual muscle definition in my upper arms! I'm amazed at what I am seeing! :smiley:

The benefits of lower intensity exercise, and non-exercise activities like housecleaning, yard work, and just staying on your feet instead of on the couch, should not be understated. It can add up to several hundred calories a day, helps keep a body young, and it can be both functional and recreational.

If walking and dancing are what you can do, then do them! (They're fun, too).

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Not much beats standing on top of a mountain.

It's exhilarating, isn't it? I was hoping for a good full day hike this fall. So far I haven't been able to dump the kids off on someone on a day with cooperating weather to make that happen. I know DH is dying to do that, too.

Exercise hasn't really helped me much in the way of weight loss. But it has improved my health, fitness, and mood so much that I can't do without it. I can't NOT move. If I don't at least get to walk or have a short workout, I'm a seriously crabby crab-face. Like today. It's rainy...I'm going to have to do a HIIT workout or a video inside. :tired_face: Or the family will be sorry.

Must move and sweat, or I will go nuts.
    And coming from my past, the couchiest coach potato there ever was, that's something.
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I think I would enjoy yoga is that a strength training or cardio ? And is there a dvd any of you can recommend?

Yoga really stretches you out and I would consider it strength training. There are lots of different kinds of yoga and you can make modifications as needed based on your ability. I have been taking a vinyasa yoga class at my gym.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    That's just it. I have thoughts about exercise, I just seldom find the time to do it routinely.

I'm going for a walk (1 mile) around the business park at lunch to try to fit at least something in.

I love it when I do it. Sunday I got out for a 3 mile walk/run and felt great afterward. So much easier with weight gone. With exercise I feel stronger, firmer, tone and more fit. I'm happier after I've completed some form of exercise. After work it's dark outside and I'm usually wiped out from work all day. I'm always chasing my to-do list. Sadly, my hour exercise plan is usually the thing that gets bumped.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

It's exhilarating, isn't it? I was hoping for a good full day hike this fall. So far I haven't been able to dump the kids off on someone on a day with cooperating weather to make that happen. I know DH is dying to do that, too.

Exercise hasn't really helped me much in the way of weight loss. But it has improved my health, fitness, and mood so much that I can't do without it. I can't NOT move. If I don't at least get to walk or have a short workout, I'm a seriously crabby crab-face. Like today. It's rainy...I'm going to have to do a HIIT workout or a video inside. :tired_face: Or the family will be sorry.

And coming from my past, the couchiest coach potato there ever was, that's something.

Our hiking season is done now. The mountains all have snow... The city has snow. LOL

My kids are a bit older than yours (8-12) so I have been taking them with me. They can do 10-15 km with a small mountain (200-400m elevation) but my problem is that they are are at the dare devil stage where everything is about parkor! Jumping off of ledges or leaping from rock to rock is fine but when there is a cliff and fall of several hundred feet... they completely freak me out.

Our last hike this summer was up Idaho Peak in BC. I swear I was saying "No parkor-ing," every 30 seconds to my boys or their friends as we approached the top. LOL Beautiful hike if you are ever up here in the Kootenay area. http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/search/search-result.aspx?site=REC2128&type=Site
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    That brings back memories, I go hiking in a spot where there is a 100 foot drop off the edge of a cliff. Every year people fall off by being stupid, severe injuries and fatalities. I used the hikes there to deal with a fear of heights.

A few years ago I took my kids who where at the dare devil stage. On of them climbed down a crevice and put himself upside down into a hole. Great photo but I was terrified.

This is the spot - [not my picture though]

http://www.dianefranklingco-op.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/nemo.jpg
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I love hiking when my joints cooperate!

Beautiful place Bob!
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    That's a nice spot, @Bob314159! BTW, are you a math guy? My boys are trying to memorize more of pi for fun. LOL

My favourite hike, which I am dying to take my boys up once they are older and I can convince myself that they won't take risk (... Snort :D maybe I'll wait until they have kids), is China Man's peak (renamed to Ha Ling Peak a few years back). It over looks a town near Banff (Alberta, Canada). One side is pretty straight up and down and used by climbers, and the back side is a steep slope that has zig zag trails up it - used to do it after work a few times in the summer. The view at the top is great because it is on the edge of the climbng cliff and shelterd by the wind a bit by rocks.
    http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Ha-Ling-Peak-near-Canmore-AB-3400

I remember being up on te top once and there was a helicptor rescue occuring on the cliff face (somehow) but the overhang was such that when I looked down I couldn't even see the helicoptor. It was pretty neat.

But the same cliff problem. One false move or trip if they are near the edge... I won't take them up there any time soon.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    ** Listen to Wabmester. Many words of wisdom there!
  • cynlyn2010
    cynlyn2010 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I only added exercise after I lost my first 50 lbs. I find the pounds are coming off slower, but my shape is changing and I'm losing inches. I do feel quite a bit better after a run, especially if it's been a tough or stressful day. It's true about the endorphins!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Our hiking season is done now. The mountains all have snow... The city has snow. LOL

My kids are a bit older than yours (8-12) so I have been taking them with me. They can do 10-15 km with a small mountain (200-400m elevation) but my problem is that they are are at the dare devil stage where everything is about parkor! Jumping off of ledges or leaping from rock to rock is fine but when there is a cliff and fall of several hundred feet... they completely freak me out.

My oldest 2 could do it. They are 11 and 13, but the littles are 4 and 6. I'm not carrying them for 6hrs. I could do it if I had to, but not my idea of a good time since they are both tall like me and DH. Nope nope nope. And honestly, the older 2 would gripe and grouse the whole time so they would just ruin it. Lazy bums. Give them a screen and they are happy. Ask them to become one with the mountain, whine whine whine.

And the cliffs and narrow trails on drop offs make me nervous as well. I constantly mentally picture them falling off. I'd come back with PTSD.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Exercise increases metabolism so you burn more calories during and after plus added bonus, endorphins! Got to love them. Muscle weighs more than fat but burns more than fat. Twice the density and a kilo of muscle needs calories to maintain it being there so great for maintaining weight and it looks great. If all that matters is your scale weight, then I can see why you may be reluctant but it will help there too.

Hmmmmm, I'm 58 years old and have yet to experience the "endorphins". All I get is pain, soreness and increased hunger. Not saying that I don't do exercise, but that if I do, its gonna have to have a purpose or be fun.

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program

My endorphins decrease with increasing fitness. But my dopamine reward system is wired for satisfaction the moment I can log my daily exercise, and dopamine is even better than endorphins.

Wish I could experience that too...

Dan

It's a subtle thing, and a product of habit formation. Do you exercise regularly?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    who4fan wrote: »
    I am a strength training kind of girl. I don't want to wait until I reach my goal to tone up, I want to build muscle as I go. The number on the scale isn't important to me, getting smaller and leaner is and strength training is how I am achieving that. I also do cardio a few times a week.

Makes two of us. I love lifting. I've been away from it for over a year, due to back issues, but I started again yesterday and it's such a great feeling! DOMS today, though, but I've always gotten a sense of satisfaction from it, because it means I've used my body and pushed its limits some.