Metformin and cancer/kidney protection?

Options
mmarshall74
mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
I am hoping my doctor takes me odd metformin in January as my bg control has been excellent with diet and exercise (a1c from 10.3 to 5.7 and I'm sure lower now). However, I've been reading about the increased chance of cancer and kidney damage from diabetics. Metformin has protective factors for kidneys as well as anti-cancer benefits..... I'm wondering if I should stay on the metformin even if my a1c is great? What are your guys' thoughts?

Replies

• winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat regarding metformin and my statin. I think it's a personal choice. I personally have decided to remain on both drugs due to my age (I'm 37) the thought of living a long time with ANY possibility of damage to my organs....no thanks. I would rather take pills than risk my health and any possible long term effects of damage.
  • mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    winnie141 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat regarding metformin and my statin. I think it's a personal choice. I personally have decided to remain on both drugs due to my age (I'm 37) the thought of living a long time with ANY possibility of damage to my organs....no thanks. I would rather take pills than risk my health and any possible long term effects of damage.

I'm starting to think this way also with my metformin and losartan. I would love to be off the meds, but if the long term benefit is better than the daily inconvenience (and thankfully these two meds aren't very costly for me), I might just get used to taking them forever.

I was wondering if metformin would continue to lower my bg below average if my bg is managed well with diet and exercise? Or does it just work when you have excess blood sugar or insulin resistance? Not sure....
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I just started metformin 500mg once a day back in sept. The anti cancer factors were big on my list. I was able to get my a1c down with exercise an low carb diet but my dr insisted there are to many benefits to metformin. For me, I was afraid it was my pride of wanting to do it on my own that kept me saying no. I finally gave in. I am a cancer survivor and had another scare this summer so for that alone I chose a small dose. We are all different. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    There are other medications that can be given for kidney protection. My husband takes a very small dose of Lisinopril.