Freaking Denny's

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
So, my wife drags me to Denny's today. I'm not feeling well (think a cold is coming on) and am not hungry. She insists that I eat.

Cranky goat doesn't want food. Cranky goat doesn't want to look through the menu. Cranky goat wants water and to be left alone.

Wife insists on something. "How about the Meat Lover's Omelet?"

It has peppers and onions. But cranky goat doesn't care. It's fine. Comes with hash browns and bread, but the wife will eat those.

It comes out. The cheese sauce is clearly a sauce and not just melted cheese. Cranky goat tries not to think about what starches have been added to the sauce. He eats the omelet. It was horrible. Denny's chorizo sucks and the flavor messes the whole omelet up. Still, cranky goat was hungrier than he realized and ate the whole thing.

I get home and look up the nutrition information. It's only listed with hash browns. So, I have to manually subtract a serving of hash browns to get an idea.

830 Calories
64 Fat grams
580 Calories from fat
1 Trans Fats
22 Saturated Fat
720 Cholesterol
1910 Sodium mg
13 Carbs grams
2 Fiber grams
49 Protein grams
3 Sugar grams

Freaking 13 grams of carbs? Are you kidding me? There wasn't that much onion and pepper. Had to be the cheese sauce. Plus, some trans fats in there. And, I know it was cooked in margarine. Cranky goat is still cranky.

Oh well, it's not that many carbs. But, I won't order that again. They sell me a steak a la carte at Denny's. Next time, I'll just stick with what I know.

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that worked there. She told me their scrambled eggs are not eggs, I assume they use the same thing for omelets, it's some sort of powdered egg thing they mix with water, so who knows what's in that.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    *shudder*
  • FIT_Goat
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I doubt it's powder. Most people report they use carton eggs (which are similar to the ones places like McDonald's uses). I'm not a fan of them, but it's not the end of the world. In my mind, I don't care where the 13 grams of carbs came from, it's all equally bad. I don't care if it was from the onions and peppers or because they use corn starch and sugar in the cheese sauce. For me, a carb is a carb and I avoid them all.

That said, 13 grams for the whole day isn't the end of the world. It's not like I am really messing anything up with my diet. I just don't prefer it.

When I looked up the powdered claim, several people have made it but few actually had a reference. Someone went to the trouble of calling Denny's and wrote this:
    I actually called Dennys because it bugged me.

They said they use liquid egg not powdered egg (big deal) lol
    They said they do offer real eggs if you ask.

The ingredients in the liquid egg are
    Whole Egg
    Water
    Xanthan Gum
    Citric Acid
    Nisin

Denny's Official Response
    The eggs that we use all of our restaurants are either eggs in the shell or
    liquid eggs ( eggs that have been cracked and blended together) This makes
    it easier for the restaurants when preparing the products. Let me assure
    you that all of the eggs are REAL eggs. We have no powdered eggs in any of
    our restaurants! An egg substitute called egg beaters is used for
    scrambles or omelettes when requested by the customer. But here again they
    are REAL eggs. Egg beater is a product that is made up of egg whites, egg
    yolk has been removed to avoid the cholesterol and fat in regular shell
    eggs.

Nutrition information on all of our menu item may be obtained from our
    website at www.dennys.com.

If you should have an further questions on ingredients or nutrition
    information of our products, please feel free to contact me at the above
    e-mail address or by phone at 864.597.7396.

Margaret Grant R.D. L.D.
    Nutrition Administrator
    Denny's Restaurants

Obviously, not as ideal as fresh eggs. But, nothing there is going to kill me.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    It must have changed, she was a cook and her sister a manager there. Both referenced their scrambled eggs being a powder mixed with water. Probably about eight years ago or so.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I love Denny's. I get bacon, fried eggs and coffee so it is relative carb free.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I usually get poached eggs and a rare steak at Denny's. But, I was cranky and didn't want that today.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I hope cranky goat is feeling better, and thanks @Fit_Goat for the heads up on the carb count for an omelette at Dennys! :smiley:
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I just hope I am not getting sick. I can't afford to be sick this week.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I'm sorry. I was unpleasantly surprised by the carb count on the omelets at Le Peep, too.
    I do like Denny's but haven't eaten there since starting keto.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Won't eat at Denny's since the manager at the one in downtown SF tried to tell me that the timer on their cooker means that bloody chicken is normal and cooked properly, and the customer is NOT always right. "Maybe in YOUR mind," he said.

Oh yeah. IHOP puts pancake batter in their omelettes to make them "more fluffy" or something. Definitely not gluten free and not keto friendly at all. I wonder what Denny's puts in theirs. I've heard of people putting maple syrup and other sweeteners in their eggs. I don't trust them now unless they are fried over easy if you please. Poached? Yeah, even better - that way we're sure they are not cooked in some weird margarine stuff.

-T.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I was going to mention this too... I was told that all chain stores use pancake batter in the omelettes unless you request "fresh cracked" omelette....
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Teneko wrote: »
    Oh yeah. IHOP puts pancake batter in their omelettes to make them "more fluffy" or something.
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I was going to mention this too... I was told that all chain stores use pancake batter in the omelettes unless you request "fresh cracked" omelette....

Yes, I am pretty sure this is it. I went to Ihop for breakfast Sunday and just got 3 sunny side up eggs and a side of bacon. I was going to ask for an omelette with fresh cracked eggs, but I wasn't sure if I would be able to tell if they followed through or not.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    We eat at cindys, they don't put batter in anything.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    My daughter got an omelette at Huddle House that seemed to contain batter when I tasted it. I stick with fried eggs and bacon so I 'know' there are 'no' added carbs. :)
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Teneko wrote: »
    Oh yeah. IHOP puts pancake batter in their omelettes to make them "more fluffy" or something.
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Yes, I am pretty sure this is it. I went to Ihop for breakfast Sunday and just got 3 sunny side up eggs and a side of bacon. I was going to ask for an omelette with fresh cracked eggs, but I wasn't sure if I would be able to tell if they followed through or not.

iHop's Simple & Fit omlette is made with egg substitute (primarily egg whites). They don't add batter to it. You can also ask for an omlette made with actual eggs - I've never had an issue with custom orders there.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I don't think Denny's uses batter in their omelets. But, there are other carbs in most of them. Their ham and cheese omelet would only be 6 grams of carbs. That could easily be from the eggs, cheese, and ham. Adding batter would probably bring it higher than 6 grams. I could ask, next time we go. I don't normally eat their omelets though.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    You can also ask for a gluten free menu at places you go. That can help avoid sneaky carbs from stuff like batter and breading / flour dusting, sauces.

-T.