carbs and workouts

Options
Hi ladies

I'm a year and half post partial hysterectomy (age=46), gained 13 pounds while exercising 6 days a week and not changing my diet. (SIGH)!!

My doc sent me to a dietician. I was doing T25 workouts (high intense cardio with some days that included body weight strength training or use of weights). She said at my age I don't need to be doing that much of a workout. Workouts like that cause stress on the body. She told me to do 3 days a week and the rest walking 10K steps a day. She also told me I only need to eat 2-3 carbs per meal (30-45g) and 1 carb for a snack (15g), a total of 180g of carbs per day...at my age.

Is the secret reducing or changing up how I work out now? I found something else that said to do two cardio days and two strength training days....and is it eating less carbs??

I know everyone is different age, weight, and where they are in life, was just hoping to hear some experiences from others on what they know/learned, as there is so much conflicting info out there.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Good question! When was the hysterectomy?
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    May of 2014 (partial)...about six months after I put on 13lbs without changing diet or exercise.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2015
    Options
    May of 2014 (partial)...about six months after I put on 13lbs without changing diet or exercise.

Okay, gotcha. I'd say do the exercise that feels right, I still jog 3-4 times a week, but don't fret the pace (and do Pilates, weights, yoga...).

As for carbs: I'm trying a carb reducing experiment right now (about 50-60 net carbs a day) to see how that affects my symptoms. Normally though, I just strictly limit refined carbs (breads, pastas etc), try to choose BETTER refined carbs, and somewhat limit high glycemic plant carbs. SLow carb.

I've read a lot about menopause and co-occuring with insulin resistance and take a conservative approach with carbs. Plus I just notice I'm more carb-craving these days. Good luck finding what works for you!

• skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    How has the carb reducing gone? My first day of reducing my carbs (my sodium was high though), and my scale flung up two pounds--darn water weight! That is something I'm struggling with too--water weight from stress and sodium. I'm focusing on my protein and my carbs this week to see where it gets me. Thanks for your input!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    How has the carb reducing gone? My first day of reducing my carbs (my sodium was high though), and my scale flung up two pounds--darn water weight! That is something I'm struggling with too--water weight from stress and sodium. I'm focusing on my protein and my carbs this week to see where it gets me. Thanks for your input!!

Smiles. I've posted the momma_Grizz blog a few times here. She's still around!