Regulating/Boosting Body Temp and Metabolism, Weight loss

Options
Has anyone had any luck boosting and regulating your body temp and metabolism? I'm hypo with insulin resistance and pcos. I recently was up in the middle of the night and I was told it might be a metabolism/adrenals issue. So, I was curious and took my temp after I was already up today and it was 97.5 It has always been on the low side.

I take synthroid in the morning at 62.5mcg and that has decreased most of my symptoms. I recently removed 90% processed foods out of my home and went gluten-free (it was causing problems). I was thinking of trying to eat 5 small meals and spacing them 2.5 hours apart and including a protein at each one. I am also working on reducing stress and reducing chemicals in the house. But continue to struggle with weight loss, being cold, and I never feel like I have found the right level of calories. I can do Mfps suggested 1200 for a day or two and then I feel like I am starving.

Any suggestions or success stories or links to follow? Everyone is unique, so maybe what you did won't work for me, but I'm willing to try new things and would love some advice!! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    A few things come to mind.

I've come to realise Thyroid function is a personal reaction to a series of different possible triggers. It is very much a question of finding out where your problems start, then doing what is right for you. For many of us it is a question of repeatedly skinning an onion, make one change and another surfaces.

The first is, are you newly diagnosed, you may be on a starting dose? If you have been at this level for a while could you be due for a dose review?

Secondly if you have a young child you are far from sedentary. You are probably at the most active you will ever be without doing formal exercise, I was. Try to compare what you did in an ordinary working day before little one and what you are doing now then base your activity level on this new understanding of yourself.

Have you ever had frequent or strong antibiotics? Our mainstream medics are less believing in the proposition that poor digestive function can contribute to thyroid issues and other conditions. Yet, it is well known antibiotics can reduce and in some wipe out the good bacteria our systems which leaves us compromised and can lead to problems with nutrition absorption. Functional medicine, (which looks at the person as a whole rather than a series of disperate/loosely connected systems) seem to be hot on this.

I have food and chemical problems and do not recommend cutting out foods just because someone says it worked for them, "so it will work for you too". I have discovered establishing dairy related problems by elimination takes a couple of days, you would know almost at once. Dairy takes about 4 days to clear from the body, recovery longer. I used rice milk first and dairy free spread when I knew. (soy is no good to me) Gluten is also often held out as a must to avoid protein for those with thyroid problems. Most likely is yeast overgrowth, to determine this going without foods without added sugar strictly for a couple days would see an improvement in symptoms particularly helps with clearing thinking, If this is you.

To balance things again you could try using pre and probiotics, they contain what is known as "good bacteria", some also find fermented foods helpful. These all act at different stages in our digestion. Good bacteria benefit from a wide variety of fresh or frozen (if this is what you need to use) vegetables and fruit to thrive. Yeast overgrowth can drive a need for sugar consumption. Interestingly grapes and pineapple are most prone to supporting candida. I have been pointed in this direction by a nutritionist who tested me for signs of "inflammation". Some of us will have longer standing issues and would probably benefit from added sugar avoidance too. Having a trained and properly accredited persons guidance is the best thing to do, if possible, because it directs you to your personal triggers. I was told over time my food/chemical issues should resolve. At some stage vitamin and mineral supplements may also help. Though if you have corrected a yeast imbalance you will be making the most of the foods you normally eat. Do what is right for you.

Also read as much as you can from any and all reputable sites. The science of health problems is changing. One Thyroid support site gives 300 possible thyroid related symptoms; not all will be present in one person; only the ones your system has "chosen" for you. Those with longer standing issues will probably have more issues.

All the best to you and your little one.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I started taking a product called Thyroid Support by One Body. It has made a huge difference. My doctor looked at my numbers this last week, ask me how I felt, and when I told her I felt great she said she had no reason to change anything. I told her about this product, showed it to her, and she said it was fine. I have for the first time normal energy levels, have not gained anything apart from what I've been eating, and I can definitely say it would be what I've been eating, and have been able to keep up with my exercise routine for the first time since I've been diagnosed. I was diagnosed about three years ago!
  • bluepotatoes66
    bluepotatoes66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I upped my dose of my NDT (yeah, without talking to my endo, because no one seems willing to look at symptoms rather than tests and my tests come back "normal"), and I noticed that my seasonal depression is less bad this year and my central body temperature has gone up a bit.