November Chat

Options
DreamOn145
DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
edited November 2015 in Social Groups
Well, yesterday was so far so good. I went to the ortho and my flexibility at this point is getting better every day. It is limited enough that he wants to look at an MRI and I have that tomorrow morning and a follow up appt on Monday. But he said if there is no rotator cuff tear that hopefully I can go with physical therapy. I am VERY hopeful that its going to go that way and look forward to the idea of physical therapy as a personal trainer! I hope that will lead me into the exercises that I need to be doing keep me out of trouble!

Replies

• CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Oh, that's good news!!!

I had some problems in my left shoulder about five years ago. Really debilitating pain; I would wake up screaming in the middle of the night. :s Turned out I had frozen shoulder syndrome and
    there is some arthritis in that shoulder. With exercise I regained my shoulder mobility. I still have to take Aleve regularly for the arthritis pain.

I went to the doc today.
    Unfortunately, diet, exercise and the combination of diabetes medications I have been taking are just not doing enough to keep my blood sugar where it should be.
    I'm going to be going on once-a-day-bedtime insulin, in addition to the oral meds I already have.

Annoying as heck. >:)

Oh well.

• mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Cris, I'm sorry to hear of this - I hope the change will bring your blood sugar in line.

Janet, will keeping hoping you will be able to avoid surgery.
  • DreamOn145
    Options
    Chris I am not going to say this is still true, but I had a friend who is a long time diabetic educator. She worked in the hospital where I was a home health nurse for many years. She always told me that if she had her choice she would put diabetics directly on insulin and skip all the pills. She said that psychologically, people think they are not as bad if they are not taking insulin "yet" but in truth insulin is a natural body product and it has a lot fewer long term side effects on the body than pills do and that more oral diabetic meds are much harder on the liver and kidneys. Just a thought.

I am not sure what thread this was in, I started to put it in whats working thinking that if you posted in a thread it would move forward,but it does not. Anyway, to repeat myself, I have been taking the gelatin for almost a week now and I could be wrong but it seems as if I feel a subtle difference in overall well being. I think I am sleeping better and I just feel better. Has anyone else who is taking it noticed any differences?
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    DreamOn145 wrote: »
    She said that psychologically, people think they are not as bad if they are not taking insulin "yet" but in truth insulin is a natural body product and it has a lot fewer long term side effects on the body than pills do and that more oral diabetic meds are much harder on the liver and kidneys. Just a thought.

That's pretty much what the RN consultant AND the doctor told me.
    It's just hard to face the fact that another organ has checked out. (My thyroid has been pretty useless for years)
    Oh well, onward we go.

Re: Gelatin. I've never taken it... can't help with that.

I'm going to go color my hair and think positive. o:)

• sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Janet and Chris. that shoulder pain takes over night and day and is screamingly bad. fingers crossed for both of you.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I needed a treat today. I haven't been to a Starbucks in over a year, more like year and half. They have a special running this weekend, 2 for 1 on the holiday flavor coffees and the same for the mini snowman donuts. So I dragged my DH over and for a few bucks we both had a lovely holiday treat. The red cups are pretty and the skinny peppermint mocha was delish as well.
  • kayakerandbiker
    kayakerandbiker Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    retirehappy, what a wonderful date with your DH.
  • DreamOn145
    Options
    Well I had my appt with the PT. As it turns out, my co-pay is completely covered for the rest of the year (nice that I am finally getting SOME good for all that money we have put out this year!) and since the PT group is less than a mile from my house I agreed to 2-3 times a week! I am excited! Hopefully now I will be learning to do stretchy band exercises correctly and will not be hurting myself!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    :'( Vive la France. So sad. I love France, Paris and yes, I love those formal Parisians as well. Breaks my heart for them to be such a target for those madmen :s
  • sharondtd
    Options
    Deeply saddened by the vile activity they suffered.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Went in for my CRT-D device check on Monday. They said the battery is starting to get low and the device will need replaced in 4-7 months. I keep picturing an energizer bunny moving slower and slo..w...e...r.... :)

Joell: I, too, am a francophile. France is the only place outside of my current home that I become "homesick" for on a regular basis. A dear, French friend said she could never understand why Americans called the French rude. I said it was because they aren't actually rude, but, as you say, "formal." Americans are very friendly, fast-moving society, we rush around and say "hello" to everyone; but we are not a polite society. The French think only crazy people say "hello" to strangers on the street, yet they will go out of their way to be formally polite and take things slowly and expect the same politeness in return. When a stranger doesn't smile and become our best friend, we think they are rude. Personally, it is the politeness, formality and slowness that I love. I really don't need my server in a restaurant to be my best friend or even tell me their name as we do here. I just want good service and, in return, I will treat my server with the dignity and respect all people deserve.
  • sharondtd
    Options
    Charlie, thank you for the insight.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Went in for my CRT-D device check on Monday. They said the battery is starting to get low and the device will need replaced in 4-7 months. I keep picturing an energizer bunny moving slower and slo..w...e...r.... :)

Joell: I, too, am a francophile. France is the only place outside of my current home that I become "homesick" for on a regular basis. A dear, French friend said she could never understand why Americans called the French rude. I said it was because they aren't actually rude, but, as you say, "formal." Americans are very friendly, fast-moving society, we rush around and say "hello" to everyone; but we are not a polite society. The French think only crazy people say "hello" to strangers on the street, yet they will go out of their way to be formally polite and take things slowly and expect the same politeness in return. When a stranger doesn't smile and become our best friend, we think they are rude. Personally, it is the politeness, formality and slowness that I love. I really don't need my server in a restaurant to be my best friend or even tell me their name as we do here. I just want good service and, in return, I will treat my server with the dignity and respect all people deserve.

Glad you 'get' the French. When we were last in Paris, in 2004 and the tourist traffic from the US was still extremely low, so we had felt like we had the City to ourselves :) we stumbled upon the Carnavalet Museum. It is dedicated to Parisian history. The guide saw we were American, thanked us for coming and then gave us a guided tour for free that lasted almost two hours and ended with us having an expresso, again on the house, with him to just chat. He explained how difficult it is for them to come to the US even for a vacation, the visa alone is over US$200. He wanted us to know that the French people do not dislike Americans, they understand that the politicians and political policies are not a reflection of all the people. When we left he even kissed us both on the cheeks, as they do their friends. He was so kind, funny, and intelligent. And we had other similar encounters on trips to France before that, this one was just so touching to us. We had been wondering how we would be treated due to Bush policies,etc., and really we were treated so special everywhere we went on that trip.

Will the battery replacement involve any surgery for you?
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Anyone else notice the new item on the banner? SHOP They can't get the blogging links working correctly but they can add shopping. Under Armour has some interesting items but they are too pricey. I do like the sports bra that opens in front and has a racer back, but I got it with a coupon and bras are something I am use to paying extra money for anyway. I've had that for a while, didn't get it via the SHOP on the banner.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Joell: I have been to the Musée Carnavalet. It is a museum that is sadly often overlooked yet so well done.

I always think that it is funny about the "kiss" or the "faire la bise." :* It is actually a much more sanitary method of greeting than shaking hands. When you watch people start their shifts at work, they kiss each co-worker and go through the ça va? ça va. ça va? routine. That isn't so bad in Paris, when you only double kiss, but in other parts of France it might be 3 or more! Takes quite some time. They do "the Kiss" in other countries, too; but, of course, here in Puritanical U.S.A. we would be accused of sexual harassment!

On your trips, have you ever used a Paris Greeter from Global Greeters? Global Greeters are wonderful volunteers around the world who take you on a walk, usually in their own neighborhood, not as a "tour guide", but to show you the local side of life. Since I travel alone and don't like "tours", I have done this in a couple of different places to experience where the locals go to stroll, to eat, etc. Great way to make a friend.

Yes, the device replacement will require surgery, but not as extensive as the first time. They will not have to remove the wires that go into my heart, but only the device. They will reconnect the existing wires to the new device. (Even if for some reason I ever decide I would want the device removed or turned off, they wouldn't remove the wires. They would leave them.) When I go in, it will be done as an outpatient or just an overnight stay. There is soreness. Not terrible pain. For now, I have to start having it checked every month. If it would wear down quickly, or if something is wrong with it, it makes a doorbell sound through my skin. Not long ago, someone had a notification tone on their phone that sounded like that. I wasn't sure if it was someone else or me! :)
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Did not know about Global Greeters, thanks for that tip. DH hates tours in groups, this sounds like something he would really like however.

Hoping the battery change out goes smoothly for you.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Hey Sharon, I checked the recipe thread and could not locate the recipe for Bath Stew. :'(

If you have the link to it can you please post it here?
  • sharondtd
    Options
    I'll look. STILL IN TYPING ERUDITE being able to see w what I'm inputting.
  • sharondtd
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Ohhh. Dreayts. Typing without being able to see.
    Hey Sharon, I checked the recipe thread and could not locate the recipe for Bath Stew. :'(

If you have the link to it can you please post it here?

Can't figure out how to link. I HAD NOT put that one in after all. Sent it to someone else. Sorry. It's on the Recipe section now.