Wk1 done, so far so good. But...

I've got a full week of keto under my belt now and feel pretty good so far. The headaches are gone, cravings under control, working out is great. But I started using mfp to track everything and that's when I got worried about a few things. I set my carb goal to 25g and noticed that it makes it impossible for me to hit my fiber and micronutrient goals. Like not even close. I've decided to up my carbs in the last two days to under 50g. I'm almost hitting the numbers but still coming up short. I have no interest in taking a multivitamin. Frankly I don't want to be on any diet that is so nutritionally poor that a pill is the only way to meet the bare minimum levels.

So I'd love to know how you guys are managing to get enough fiber, calcium, iron, and potassium at under 30g carbs?

Replies

• caterinahart
    caterinahart Posts: 18 Member
    Broccoli! Kale! Raisins! Bananas! Spinach! Grapes!

And there are so many cool multivitamins out there,.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Fiber is needed to process carbs. If you are not eating the carbs, fat takes the place of fiber in the processing and protection department.

The rest of those numbers are not required to be tracked under USDA and FDA labeling. Therefore, 75% of foods misrepresent or underrepresent those numbers on all labeling. In all likelihood, you're getting far more of those things than you think you are.

Nearly all greens, most fish, and even almond milk have more calcium than milk or dairy. As far as iron, if you're getting meats and dark leafy greens in, you should be getting more than enough. Potassium - same foods plus chocolate, berries in small portions, etc. The main thing with calcium is to get it with K2, with D3, with potassium, and with magnesium, so that the body knows what the heck to do with it.

That being said, I don't even eat that many greens or anything, and I'm not deficient in ANY of these things... Just some perspective. Remember, too, that 75% of the soil in the world is stripped of nutrients, leaving all of our foods mineral deficient...supplementation ACROSS THE BOARD is becoming necessary.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Eat spinach, broccoli, kale, cauliflower, mushrooms, cabbage, asparagus, squash, green beans.... you can eat loads of vegetables and stay under 25g carbs.

Also, don't discount things like meat, oil and butter. They also contain valuable micronutrients.
  • myshkin90
    myshkin90 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for your suggestions. I'm just not sure if "eat veggies" is enough. I've been plugging different veggies in to see how much I would have to eat to hit the nutrient levels and so far only spinach works. 700g of spinach clocks in at 25g carbs and hits the rda for iron, calcium, and potassium. Broccoli doesn't work, neither does kale or brussels sprouts. So it looks like I'm stocking up on spinach! Lol not my favourite.

Good point about fiber on low carb, I'm not worried about that anymore since I'm still regular. But I really want to get enough potassium calcium and iron without a supplement.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I eat broccoli all the time. I don't eat spinach anymore, as it stopped agreeing with me. Remember, those numbers on labels are allowed 25% inaccuracy within the legal agreements. And you can't eat spinach every day. There are some things that build up. That's why they recommend alternating your greens.

Oh, and those RDA's are based on a carby SAD (Standard American Diet). The numbers are actually much less, but not quantified in a similar chart because they aren't the same for everyone. @FIT_Goat is actually what we call zero-carb or carnivore, eating only meat, eggs, etc. Sticking with the animal products - NO VEGGIES AT ALL. He's been that way over a year, I think, and he is not mineral deficient in anything... Feel free to shoot him a message to ask about this directly.

If you aren't in the other related group, it's more active than this one, and there are lots of folks in both...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

@FIT_Goat is one of the moderators there, so it might be easier to find him there.
  • myshkin90
    myshkin90 Posts: 3 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    numbers on labels are allowed 25% inaccuracy
    I'm just talking about the numbers for raw produce, no labels. I would have to eat 1.5kg of broccoli to get the nutrient numbers I want but that would be over 90g net carbs.
    @FIT_Goat is actually what we call zero-carb or carnivore, eating only meat, eggs, etc. Sticking with the animal products - NO VEGGIES AT ALL. He's been that way over a year, I think, and he is not mineral deficient in anything... Feel free to shoot him a message to ask about this directly.

Thanks I will definitely check into that and read more on this. I'm not too worried now, upping my carbs to 50g seems to still be working even if it takes me off the strict keto diet. I have no issue with the carnivore diet (the inuit have eaten that way forever) but I know it's not for me. I love veggies. So if I have to choose between being strictly <30g carbs or eating enough broccoli to feel good and hit my nutrient goals I'm good with the latter.

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    edited November 2015
    myshkin90 wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    numbers on labels are allowed 25% inaccuracy
    I'm just talking about the numbers for raw produce, no labels. I would have to eat 1.5kg of broccoli to get the nutrient numbers I want but that would be over 90g net carbs.

That's presuming you aren't getting micronutrients from any other source.

If you're eating meat and/or dairy you're likely getting enough iron and calcium, and there's more potassium in an avocado than a banana, and only 1.5-2 net carbs per half (approx.).