Exercise tips

Options
cheekitty
cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
I am struggling a lot with activity.

The past few months have been really hard on me, physically, mentally and emotionally. I am moving cross-country to start a new life at the end of December, I've gone through a divorce this year, and there's just a lot going on that's been distracting and tripping me up.

I noticed that I lost best when I was going to the gym regularly, but I'm having a really hard time finding time and energy to keep it up - I overdid it, burned out, and now I'm struggling to get started again.

Does anyone have an at-home workout they love? Something appropriate for someone that is still kind of floppy and incapable of jumping jacks? I enjoy walking, but the weather here in Boston has not been terribly accommodating, and I'm moving to an area of the country where staying indoors during the winter is a survival mechanism.

I have a set of weights and resistance bands, as well as access to an elliptical. I've tried bribing myself with 'okay if you go you can do X' but I am apparently not feeling the motivation.

Replies

• Wonderwomanvik
    Wonderwomanvik Posts: 2,932 Member
    Options
    I like the Hawaiian ones because they are killer leg workouts without jumping around. It's mostly slow controlled movement
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Any chance you have or can purchase a Wii? My husband lost about 30 lbs. (he has not had surgery) using Wii Fit, walking and running in place and doing their other activities. Or potentially a treadmill? Another alternative could be walking at a shopping mall or a facility with an indoor track (we have a megachurch near my home that has one they open to the public). The biggest thing is just making yourself move in some way, but if getting out in the weather is a major issue, you may want your own treadmill at home. If cost is an issue, check out Goodwill and other thrift stores and Craigslist - usually someone has good ones for relatively cheap.

Walking was the gateway drug for me beginning a very active lifestyle - it's easy (you do it every day), low impact, and you can do as much of it as you choose. It also lets you build your activity level up gradually. It's an awesome feeling going from being short of breath walking up a small hill to walking 6 miles daily and knowing you could still keep going.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    For me a good trick is to just go. Even if I don't feel like it. I just tell myself to stay for 10 minutes, and if I still don't want to be there, then I can be excused. I have yet to leave early.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    How about getting a tai chi video? It's calming, meditative, and uses gentle fluid motion in a controlled way. It could be your gateway to other physical activity.

I see a personal trainer who specializes in old, fat people (LOL). She has me do a series of activities, and once or twice a week I do those activities at home, and it takes about an hour. I write out a list beforehand, and try to do everthing 20 times, and repeat 3 times. Some floor stuff, some standing. Bands and weights. Bridges, fire hydrants, wall push ups, wall climbers, squats, lunges, etc.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Tai chi and yoga vids on YouTube are awesome. One of my best investments was a good yoga mat and a set of yoga clothes. Maybe the second best buy was a set of resistance bands from Amazon for like $40. Mall walking is great and if there's an option doing anything that includes an extra step, I'm going to take that one. Just a few extra steps a day here and there adds up.

I can't do the gym. The thought of a million people touching all that equipment sets off my OCD to the point of an anxiety attack. So *all* of my workouts are at home and mostly alone, except for my morning dog walks with hubby and puppy.

As my doctor would say, "Just move." If that means going to the farthest bathroom when you go pee, then choose that option. @anbrdr 's "just go" advice may be just as good or better. That's what I say to myself some mornings before my 5a walks. So I slap on clothes and just go.
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Money will be an option very shortly - I'm going to be a full time student in January, so I will both have more time... and less, heh.

But I will try out some Tai Chi videos on youtube, in the interim! (I get a free gym membership with my student pass at my new school, so I'll hold off on treadmills until I get there)

Thank you everyone!!!
  • nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of videos on YouTube. The Leslie sancone (I think) walk at home videos aren't too bad and my exercise physiologist recommended last winter. I'm in nh. I feel ya on the weather blahs!
  • boncharlie
    boncharlie Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Google walking videos on you tube - lots of options for you to do in your lounge room :)
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I like to go walking when I don't feel like exercising. The best part is no matter how far you go you still have to get back. lol I understand you said its difficult in your area but be a bit creative in how you get the walking in. Most schools have tracks that allow locals to use and as previously suggested other indoor places. Sometimes when I go to a store I do a lap around the parking lot before I go in. I surprise myself sometimes with the distance I end up going. Sunshine and fresh air always makes me feel better.
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yes, as my doc told me, "Just move, I don't care what you do or how you do it, move." Something that I tend to follow and find myself wanting to do more now.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Walking is a gateway activity.
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    But as I have learned, invest in good walking shoes, as it does make a difference.