Starting Ketogenic as a Vegan

Options
Tomorrow I embark on my first day on the Ketogenic diet. With my research I've found it to be extremely difficult trying to plan meals especially since I am vegan. Any tips?

Replies

• MizTenaciousT
    MizTenaciousT Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Check out the website/blog "Healthful Pursuit." Leanne has lots of info, and there's an interview with a keto vegan on there if you look for it
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    There are also reddit groups for this. Also in group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group there is a sub group of pescetarians, vegetarians, and vegans, so hopefully you can get some ideas from there to help/
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I embark on my first day on the Ketogenic diet. With my research I've found it to be extremely difficult trying to plan meals especially since I am vegan. Any tips?

I don't eat meat, fish or eggs, and ethically, no milk products unless they're from a non-slaughtering source (ahimsa), so almost never.

I use MCT oil quite a lot to get good quality fats and I buy good quality protein powders to supplement proteins if needed. I do use vegan meet replacement (in The Netherlands we have the excellent Vegetarian Butcher range of products) and I have adapted many Indian dishes that are prepared with milk products to do without. I try to stay under 20g carbs/day, and I've found that this is possible, if you take in your protein mainly by means of supplementation and then budget all your carbs towards vegetables.

• KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm adapting a medical diet to LCHF which must be vegetarian. The Walser very low protein diet for kidney function allows no meat, eggs, cheese, dairy, fish… BUT it was designed during the era of "fat fears"..so it advises absolute crap foods like "Cremora, and Heinz gravey in a jar….yuk! So my diet is very high in veggies of all kinds, fixed in many ways, AND high saturated fat..lots of butter, coconut oil, heavy cream daily.

I switched from eating some meat on LC, to vegetarian after 2 months, and at 5 months had lost the same weight via both methods, 15 lbs with some Meat protein LC, and 14-15 on all veggie LC…so it can be done.

I probably get too much heavy cream ( for coffee, and iced coffee, LC desserts) and I do make Cauliflorwer pizza and Swedish rolls with almond flour..both require egg, sour cream, but possibly the recipe can be altered.

Straight Vegan LCHF may be a lot to ask since you are limited to only coconut and olive oil..and nut oils, but avocado and other fats you are already eating may work for you.

( I have switched to Vegan cheese..a few extra carbs, but better for lower phosphorous and potassium content.)

I'd advise writing up a diet on paper, listing every thing you can possibly have, and decide if it is palatable, and doable.
  • MizTenaciousT
    Options
    Here's the link I mentioned before! Leanne interviews a woman who is doing a keto vegan lifestyle. I hope this is helpful :-)
    http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2015/04/video-low-carb-vegan-keto-plant-based/
  • KETOGENICGURL
    Options
    MIZ..I forgot I had seen her many videos back when I first started leto.but was still eating meat… when I switched to vegetarian I had forgotten about her. thanks for a reminder.
  • MizTenaciousT
    Options
    MIZ..I forgot I had seen her many videos back when I first started leto.but was still eating meat… when I switched to vegetarian I had forgotten about her. thanks for a reminder.

No problem! I thought it was a great interview, with plenty of ideas for any ketoer who wants to add more veggies into their life! :smiley:

• fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    When I first tried doing keto, I ate a lot more meat and had unpleasant headaches and leg cramps. Now I have decreased the meat and am eating more fat. I feel much better and am losing more weight. I might put a tablespoon of butter into my broth for dinner. A half teaspoon of coconut oil with salt for a snack. (How keto is that!) Cheese, avocados, 20 nuts roasted in butter - eggs fried in lots of butter. And when I eat meat it's good old fashioned 80/20 hamburger - yum - ooops sorry.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    Options
    Fastforlife..having it be accepted that LCHF can work in a WIDE RANGE of food choices, from vegetarian to carnivore makes sense because its the FATS comprise 70-80 % of the macros… so I do the same thing..I always have a pot of Miso soup going( and get the fermented benefit for gut health too) I add steamed shredded broccoli slaw, and cabbageslaw…cooks in a few minutes, and add butter to enrich the taste, usually bone broth is the liquid…so it can work because the fats can be added separately, do not have to be within the meats.