Eating out

Options
jesslintch
jesslintch Posts: 63 Member
My husband and I are new to this WOE. We are just about a month in. He is getting much better control of his insulin (T1 and I am working on weight loss). We've been avoiding eating out (mainly bun less burgers when we do). Today we visited our favorite Mexican restaurant. Yum!!!! Great choices.
yq7cc8kuoc8s.jpeg

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Looks yummy!
    Glad to hear your husband is able to reduce insulin. I keep trying to get my daughter to go much lower carb. At the moment she just doesn't combine starches with breads or stuff with sugar. It's improvement.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Mexican restaurants have great choices. My fave is steak fajitas or the carne asada. I just give the beans to the kids. My favorite take-out.

Looks like a delicious table of healthy choices. :+1: Except those tortilla chips in the upper right corner. Naughty naughty. :lol:
  • jesslintch
    Options
    @baconslave No chips for us. We were good. The kids (4 1/2 and 19 months) ate them.
  • tcarp8
    tcarp8 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    What is WOE? I'm not hip to all of these abbreviations.
  • Animewatcher2015
    Options
    Way of eating
  • tcarp8
    tcarp8 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Way of eating

Well that makes sense and much easier than typing, "way of eating"
  • jesslintch
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ It is amazing. He wears a Dexcom. On low carb, it is almost a straight line most of the time. We went to a football game the other day ate off plan. His line looked like a roller coaster. I sent him an interesting article about it the other day. I'll see if I can find it. It brought up some interesting points besides just blood sugar like the lower standard of error with less insulin required and not "feeling" like a diabetic because you are constantly worried about it.
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    That meaty dish at the front and centre of the picture looks like the sort of dish I would like to fall into and have to eat my way out.
  • RebeccaMaunder
    RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    That table of food looks amazing! I have been wanting to do tex mex but was unsure what to order. I think I have some ideas now :)
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm not finding it as hard to eat out as I expected (T2D, controlling blood glucose by diet). I ate out for supper - and will have my first day entirely under 100)!

I've managed 6 meals out, now, without creating any spikes! Tonight I had spicy chicken and peanuts (siracha coated), with some red bell peppers, celery, and ginger on a rice bed. I left the rice bed (if I'd known it was coming I would have asked them to leave it out, accompanied by a calamata olive/feta cheese salad. I didn't check my blood glucose ahead of time (the bathroom required a key and was down the hall, outside the building, up the elevator in another building, down a couple of halls...didn't feel like table testing or wandering). But the readings after (at .5 hours and a little over an hour were 99 & 96).

Salads are pretty safe, as are some kinds of chicken wings, slabs of meat. Most restaurants have something like that.

Now if I can only make Thanksgiving at the in-laws that easy . . .

I'm plotting to take a couple of low carb rolls (http://thelowcarbreview.blogspot.jp/2013/04/swedish-breakfast-buns.html), some mashed cauliflower, and a low carb cranberry relish. That ought to be enough to make me feel like I'm eating a feast, but keep my blood sugar below 140.
  • jesslintch
    Options
    @Abm4n pork carnitas fajitas. Delicious! It will definitely be my new go to.

@RebeccaMaunder I was concerned but had read if I stuck to fajitas without the rice, beans and tortillas I would be fine. There were actually a surprising number of possibilities.

@neohdiver All of that sounds delicious. I'm thinking of Thanksgiving, too. We are going to my aunt's and she is very traditional. She's also easily offended. I think we can get away with bringing a few things because my husband is 1- a chef and usually brings something and 2- diabetic.