LC diet leaving me feeling depressed

Options
Does anyone else feel it affects their mood? Is this normal? The longer I stay on this I seem to feel more and more isolated and depressed

Replies

• norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    How long have you been LC?

The first week I was horribly depressed. The second week was better. I'm half way through week three, and I'm perking up.

I've been very surprised to learn how dependant I was on carbs and sugar for an emotional boost. Not getting that constant positive boost from pasta and sugary drinks has been a difficult adjustment. I've accepted that I can't rely on food for comfort in the same way I used to. I have to find satisfaction in other things. And, my body has to adjust, too.
  • iammantistobbogan
    iammantistobbogan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm been on it for about 4 weeks or more now and I was ok at first but the longer it goes on the more depressed I'm getting on it for some reason. :s
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @iammantistobbogan my first 90 days was all over the board physically and emotional. While all is OK 15 months later I still am learning basic facts about the body and how it heals over time. My fitbit watch got to bothering my wrist. It was a 50 year old scar that had become sensitive for some reason. :)

The first 2-4 weeks of adaptation most anything can happen. If anything comes up that is a huge concern to you or you think is health threatening seek local healthcare providers.

Reading negative stuff about Low Carb High Fat could mess with my head for a long time but reading the negative stuff is important. If we can not prove that a negative is false then we have to dig deeper for the facts in our personal case.

Best of success.
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't feel depressed but I could understand the isolation. Not a lot of people understand lchf and you might find it hard to be alone in this. Personally I enjoy loneliness I actually love being alone.maybeyou feel depress simply because of the isolation? Are you the type of person that thrives by being surrounded by people? You are not totally isolated you know you can always come here. People here are like a second family with the added benefits that they share the same woe.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? What is your average intake of fat?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I feel like the salt police, but I gotta ask -- how's your sodium intake? Sodium in the blood affects volume, which can affect brain perfusion, and low perfusion leads to all sorts of bad feelings. Sodium is also important for cross-membrane action potential in neurons.

There are other brain effects associated with low-carb diets, but I had to ask about the sodium....
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I feel like the salt police, but I gotta ask -- how's your sodium intake? Sodium in the blood affects volume, which can affect brain perfusion, and low perfusion leads to all sorts of bad feelings. Sodium is also important for cross-membrane action potential in neurons.

There are other brain effects associated with low-carb diets, but I had to ask about the sodium....

The salt police are right! The first time I went keto, I didn't know about salt, and it was really rough. I was a mess, mentally, even though I had plenty of energy for the gym. Then I went un-keto during a trip. When I came back and tried it again, I started to feel bad again. I heard about the salt thing and it made a huge difference, not only in my mental state, but in curbing the diarrhea and 24/7 peeing that I had had the first time around.

I'm pretty sure that my keto flu the first time around was nothing more than hyponatremia. I have felt nothing but good since I increased my salt intake.

For what it's worth, I've also cut my SSRI dosage in half, and still feel fine, though I wouldn't suggest doing that without discussing it with your doctor.
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I will say that adding some beef bouillon broth to my afternoon helped with my initial headaches. I am diabetic and one of the reasons I went back to this way of eating was that my blood sugars had been creeping higher and that was causing me depression/anxiety type issues ( tightness in chest, shortness of breath, dread feelings etc.) already, only two weeks down, week 2 my blood sugars have come back down and stabilized and I haven't felt those feelings in a few days and before I was feeling them for at least an hour once a day. (I haven't been thrilled about being away from home for work for the last 3 months either which I'm sure hasn't helped) I would ask, how was your health before you started cutting out the carbs?
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Salt, fat (seriously, FAT, you will NOT make it if you're going to try Low Carb Low Fat. That's a death sentence.). So, ahem, salt, fat, sodium, potassium, hydration. The keys to success! You should feel your mood improve when you get through the adjustment wallop to your system.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Almost nobody understands the extremely high salt needs.
    But, fat is vital to hormone control. I suspect you're doing a lower fat version of low carb or at least not the right kind of fat.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    The first week or two was difficult. Now I am happy, not depressed at all, especially since I've lost some weight. Your depression could be several things, possibly the diet, possibly salt, but also possibly personal issues surrounding weight loss. Are your friends and family supportive?
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Fat and salt, as everyone says. It took me months to understand this and even though I was feeling globally better I would suddenly feel deeply depressed, isolated and ready to give up. I had a few serious episodes, like start crying while shopping because I could not eat anything that I really wanted. I now understand that I was addicted to carbs and that overcoming an addiction takes time. But LCHF is the best tool we have to accomplish that.

I am deeply grateful to all the people here in this group that have helped me immensely, given me strength and always been ready with information and support. You can feel safe here. Be kind to your body and mind, this works!

::flowerforyou::
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    But, fat is vital to hormone control. I suspect you're doing a lower fat version of low carb or at least not the right kind of fat.

SunnyBunny. I have been salting, but for the past few night I have been getting horrible leg cramps. I even take potassium. I have certified, its under control with meds, but there are extreme stress that will swoop down on me. I didn't notice any depressive feelings since I have been on this. B
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Batlady49 wrote: »

SunnyBunny. I have been salting, but for the past few night I have been getting horrible leg cramps. I even take potassium. I have certified, its under control with meds, but there are extreme stress that will swoop down on me. I didn't notice any depressive feelings since I have been on this. B

I believe magnesium is supposed to be better for leg cramps. Mine are not an issue as long as I'm getting enough mag.
  • who4fan
    who4fan Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have only been doing this again for a few days and I am depressed as well. I am sure that part of it is that the holidays are coming and many of the things I love to have during the holidays are not part of this diet. I am trying to limit calories, which of course I shouldn't be doing. It's just that I am used to doing it and breaking that habit is hard.
  • blacktie347
    blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Batlady49 wrote: »

I used to have leg cramps, but then I upped my fluid intake (e.g., water) significantly and then my leg cramps ended. Idk if that would help in your situation, though.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from depression and took a number of medications to treat it while eating a crappy carb-laden SAD diet and felt so crummy. I ditched the meds and started eating real food which helped, but when I started eating LCHF, my mood improved so much and I felt a feeling of well-being I have never felt before! It is my opinion that the brain needs fat to feel good. Please just give this some time and don't give up too soon. I feel so energetic eating this way and even feel euphoria when fasting. I typically eat one high fat low carb meal per day and have even energy and the most stable moods ever. I am much happier eating this way!
  • RebeccaMaunder
    RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about others but I know that weather changes can really affect my mood. If you are still adjusting to a new way of eating (a month is still pretty new) and there are external factors, plus maybe not enough of the right nutrients it could lead to some negative feelings.
    I also agree with others making sure you have your support network is important, and the other thing to consider to is if food has been a vice or issue for you and then you are changing to a much healthier diet and your brain is able to start thinking more clearly you could be feeling down or depressed because you are now having to face issues that maybe you didn't before because of a lack of mental energy. (By the way no judging here, I am trying this low carb for those reasons). Just some options of stuff to think about.

I hope you start to feel better soon.
  • balesalicia
    balesalicia Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm been on it for about 4 weeks or more now and I was ok at first but the longer it goes on the more depressed I'm getting on it for some reason. :s

Drop protien and increase fat to AT LEAST 150g a day. You will feel sooooo much better, and lose faster! Low carb is hormonal at its core. Research it. Your hormones are off most likely due to not enough fat
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have normally been OK with my mood, but nearly lost it at lunch yesterday. At a cafe (as normal takeaway is way out for carbs) at 1pm - breakfast menu finished & EVERYTHING was a burger, potatoes, or pasta or sweet potatoes and no veges - salads also not low carb beetroot etc - it all became too much & I felt like a deprived child & wanted to chuck a tantrum. But husband asked after I kept whining & chef was willing to do poached eggs bacon avocado and baby spinich. Ended up being a lovely lunch but I wasn't copeing at first spiriling down and just couldn't lift myself out of the mood.