What is it with MFP??

Options
I typed out this whole rant about someone on here and decided not to bore you all with it and continued on perusing the forums for insight and sometimes food preparation ideas, etc. I was initially peeved that someone who asked for a high fat breakfast recipe shot me down because her "cholesterol is too high to eat like that". OK whatever. I have developed a large friend base on this keto forum (thank you all!!) and regularly see you guys get blatantly attacked, called names and argued with by users who are so stuck in the idea that "a calorie is a calorie" that they are completely oblivious to the notion that they could gain some knowledge by understanding how the body breaks down and utilizes the macros we eat. I've never seen so many self righteous, want to be elitist dieters and self proclaimed experts than on this forum! And I've been using it for 2 years. It's amazing how much misinformation is on here and these poor people that follow the advice of who has the snarkiest comment or highest post count instead of physiological evidence.

It's just tempting to shout KETO from the rooftops when you get it right, it's like unearthing some hidden treasure from a long lost civilization. Or finally solving the worlds oldest puzzle. And instead of someone actually giving your advice any accreditation, they are first to call us misinformed idiots, future heart attack sufferers, or imbeciles. I am not surprised that people anonymously attack others on this message board but I guess I thought those of us on a self-help dieting forum could find more commoradery. I guess I am just glad to be a part of this group and other LCHF groups but I still feel like we are a secret society in hiding for fear of exposure! When it's really everyone else that might benefit from our lifestyle...

Replies

• NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I no longer read, or contribute to, any of the general forums. I find that they are frequently very hostile and I have no time for that. The same diet does not work for everyone yet many refuse to believe it. There is no support for people walking to a different drummer.

Ignore and avoid them. People have to want to change to hear the message. No point in lecturing to those who won't hear.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I am just grateful that we have a couple of forums like Keto, Intermittent Fasting, and Low Carb to share encouragement and information.
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I hear you! My SIL attacks this lifestyle outrageously. The other day she made a comment to the effect of her cholesterol being very low because she eats the opposite way of me (she's a former vegetarian and doesnt eat much meat, she's very high carb simply because she doesn't like much else). Amusing because I bet her numbers are higher than mine. Yet she complains constantly about how much weight she's gained and not having the energy to do anything but sleep all day... I've stopped explaining, she doesn't want to hear it.
  • barresa
    barresa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just send people you tube videos from Drberg, Abel James, David Perlmutter nd other experts on this subject... Let them do their own research if they wish. No diet has ever made so much sense to me as this one. I am beyond excited!
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    NewSue52 wrote: »
    I no longer read, or contribute to, any of the general forums. I find that they are frequently very hostile and I have no time for that.

Ignore and avoid them. People have to want to change to hear the message. No point in lecturing to those who won't hear.

This.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Well said rant!! I rarely post in the main forums now except to occasionally post the link to the main LCHF group to someone who is clearly seeking guidance re Keto and I that out of pity because I don't want them to get eaten alive on the boards! lol
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I rarely post on the main forums either because of the hostility. It makes no sense to me why people get that upset about someone wanting to try a low carb diet. I don't understand why the bother to reply if they don't have any useful information to give the person other than to say they don't need to be low carb and pushing CICO down their throat. I mean if someone posts about a vegetarian diet I don't reply because I know nothing about it and figure they'll best be helped by the people who have experience there!

I guess these people just really love carbs and feel like the poster is going to have a sad miserable existence without them. lol. They are probably the same sort of people who react to my having celiac disease by telling me how they'd commit suicide without gluten....ok then, lol.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    The Moderators of this group asked us NOT to discuss this topic ....NOT to complain, or go and post in the main forum since we are under some official ruling and may be discontinued…all due to the same (bad) logic we face when even trying to discuss LCHF or keto anything.

it seems we have drifted back into being allowed to complain?
    I take comfort in the following statement by Dr. Dyer!

z4a50t7go6hv.jpg
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The LCD group is the one on warning, not the Keto group, though this type of complaining violates MFP policy in general (I know - it's a very one-sided policy). I'm not a moderator anywhere, but the group owners here are responsible for this subject matter, etc.
  • erindellamore
    erindellamore Posts: 46 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The Moderators of this group asked us NOT to discuss this topic ....NOT to complain, or go and post in the main forum since we are under some official ruling and may be discontinued…all due to the same (bad) logic we face when even trying to discuss LCHF or keto anything.

If there was a statement on the top of this forum for Keto I must have missed it. It's nowhere to be found. You are saying we are not allowed to post in the main forum? That's the most bizarre thing I've ever heard on here. Moderators are welcome to close or delete this thread, it is clear to me that confiding in like minded individuals is not allowed, nor do I desire being a part of judge mental groups on self help, both in agreement and against my preferred dietary choices. So I'll accept the ramifications, thank you.

Edit: I just read through the guidelines of the official MFP board and I don't see myself in violation as nowhere did I name an individual nor belittle an individual, I specifically aired my grievances with being discriminated against. Over half the users are in violation of their guidelines on a regular basis with hateful and snarky comments.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Sent PM to explain more.

And yes, most of us are more than well aware of the ... discrepancies in the implementation of the policies, but there is naught we can do.

Most of us are just really gun-shy, because in the other group we were all taken to task and such.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Check out the stickied posts, and there are a few discussion threads about 6 months ago, I think... I don't remember when it all hit the fan.

The LCD group and this one are fabulous for support though. I just avoid the forums like the plague, generally. Not worth the stress to me.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Sent PM to explain more.

And yes, most of us are more than well aware of the ... discrepancies in the implementation of the policies, but there is naught we can do.

Most of us are just really gun-shy, because in the other group we were all taken to task and such.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Check out the stickied posts, and there are a few discussion threads about 6 months ago, I think... I don't remember when it all hit the fan.

The LCD group and this one are fabulous for support though. I just avoid the forums like the plague, generally. Not worth the stress to me.

It was the end of May/ beginning of June.

Any member of the LCD group is more than welcome to participate in the main forums. The mods of the group prefer not to have any thing to do with the main forums for obvious reasons.

We just aren't allowed to have any talk about main forum stuff or links to main forum stuff inside the LCD group. Site Admin orders.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options

If there was a statement on the top of this forum for Keto I must have missed it. It's nowhere to be found. You are saying we are not allowed to post in the main forum? That's the most bizarre thing I've ever heard on here. Moderators are welcome to close or delete this thread, it is clear to me that confiding in like minded individuals is not allowed, nor do I desire being a part of judge mental groups on self help, both in agreement and against my preferred dietary choices. So I'll accept the ramifications, thank you.

Edit: I just read through the guidelines of the official MFP board and I don't see myself in violation as nowhere did I name an individual nor belittle an individual, I specifically aired my grievances with being discriminated against. Over half the users are in violation of their guidelines on a regular basis with hateful and snarky comments.

Yeah it isn't explicitly spelled out in the Community Guidelines. But complaining is viewed by some as (indirectly) "criticizing moderators and their decisions."

Forewarned is forearmed.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Yet they're free to make comments about the posts in the LC forums on the main board. I rarely even read the forums here anymore -- let alone participate -- but the very first post I opened up yesterday on the main forum had a (I think) disparaging post about the low carb group.

The forums are not a welcome, comfortable place for everyone to post that much is clear.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I still post on the main boards. Not sure why.... LOL I usually send people to this group or the LCD too. It's so much easier here, and you all know SO much on the topic of keto. I lurk and learn lots. :)
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    well @nvmomketo, I found this forum through a link of yours, so thank you.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Oh good. :)
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to also go thru the general forums. I need to stay focused on what is good for me at present as my journey is so long. I was also brainwashed for the last 40 years since I was 10 the CICO and low fat was the way to go. I'm so glad I now have another alternative. There is so much to learn that I'm not going to confuse myself with other WOE ideas.

Thanks to those who quietly post the link to this thread - that's how I found you all & just stayed here.