How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
blacktie347
blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
I used to weigh once a morning, then several times per day, and now I'm trying to weigh once a month! I know, scary and I'm so curious! I am tightening my belt a notch, too, as of yesterday, so I think that's good, but I'd really like to know. On the other hand, I feel like I might be tempted to avoid drinking water so the number on the scale doesn't go up, so I am also happy with not knowing. It's been a few days now.

How often do you weigh yourself? And bonus ?... how come you weigh with that frequency?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week (every Friday) ....I weigh that way because I like to have weekly doucumation so I can see what I need to do or change
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I weight first thing every morning and use an exponential averaging app to get rid of up and down spikes. Sometimes if my morning weight is really out of line - I will weigh later in the day to get a better reading.
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Once a week, maybe more if I am really close to a goal.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Daily - so it becomes part of my daily habit, which is more importance once I hit maintenance weight than it is now.

Pick a time of day that will be consistent - the best is AM, after morning elimination. Expect daily variations. I tend to go down 3-5 days in a row (on low carb), them spend 1-2 weeks cycling between the lowest value and the value before the multiple-day drop. Recognize that whatever you consume today won't be processed into weight overnight - you are just as likely to be able to binge and see your weight go down for a couple of days as you are to "behave" and see it climb.

I claim each new low and, as long as I'm eating consistent with the way I intend to eat, and ignore the bouncing weight above the new low as temporary.

When I switch to maintenance, I will need to track the range of fluctuation carefully - so that when the fluctuation range starts to trend up over a period of a couple of weeks I adjust to move it back down. I can't do that quickly enough if I'm only weighing myself once a month (because it requires noticing a trend, not a single increase or decrease).
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. I like it that way because it helps me understand my body. Weight fluctuates for various reasons and we all have our specific patterns by weighing every day I know why the scales is going up or down and I can even predict.
    Also I remember reading a book by Tom venuto. He said to know if you are progressing or at least if you are heading in the right direction you have to measure your progress. So i do it as precisely and as often as possible. It's like a ship. If you want to head north but check your compass too randomly or not often enough you might end up west. In weight loss the measure of your progress is the scale the measuring tape even the calipers if you are courageous.
  • RebeccaMaunder
    RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am scale obsessed so I weigh myself sometimes multiple times a day but definitively every day.
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but log once a week, the scales seem to go all over the place every day, but are about right for the day I log it.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm in the once per week group. I used to weigh everyday but found the fluctuations sometime disheartening. If I weigh once per week I'm almost guaranteed to see a loss - even just a small one. Then there are the weeks where the loss is significant and the feeling is a tremendous boost for my spirits.
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I am scale obsessed so I weigh myself sometimes multiple times a day but definitively every day.

Ditto that!!!!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    I also weigh myself once first thing in the morning but usually only log once a week. If you keep weighing yourself all day long your weight will be all over the place due to food/water, so try to limit to first thing a.m.!
  • vikashsinha
    vikashsinha Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily twice, morning and evening at the same time. I have noticed that i weight less in the evenings. But I use trendsweight website and weekly average weight to monitor my progress
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I weigh whenever. I like to see how my weight fluctuates throughout the day. The weight I log for the doctor is every Tuesday morning, after peeing, before eating, at 5a. That's my "official" weight. The rest of it is simply for my own edification.
  • bitxbit
    bitxbit Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I weigh first thing in the a.m., to record on my journal/calendar (Dr.), but record on MFP on Wednesdays only.
    Daily weigh-in keeps me mindful & accountable to my goals. ☺
  • dhill_84
    dhill_84 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Every Friday. Find it keeps me going. If I do it daily I freak and obsess about the number. If I go to two weeks I find I'm more likely to cheat cause I think it won't make as big of a deal over two week span. If I start to platue I may do two weeks but luckily I havnt yet.
  • balesalicia
    balesalicia Posts: 80 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Once a week. Keeps me from going crazy obsessive about something that shouldn't be number 1 on my priority list of fat loss. I did get a comment at work yesterday about my fat loss from a coworker though! Gotta love those NSV's
  • Mongo5918
    Mongo5918 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and log it in an Excel spreadsheet. It updates a chart that I have as one of the wallpaper images on my computer so I can see my progress from the day I started LCHF. The chart shows every day ups and downs and has a trend line that shows where I started and goes out into the future so I can see where my weight is headed if I keep doing what I'm doing. It keeps me focused on weight loss and the daily ups and downs don't concern me because I know they are normal. Plateaus are easy to see and you learn that if you stick to it the weight loss will start again pretty soon.
    I have lost over 160 lbs. since 5/1/15 and it looks great on the chart and keeps me focused. MFP can do the charting but for some stupid reason it will only show for a year at the longest, so is pretty useless for inspiration unless your only using LCHF as a temporary "diet". I made LCHF a lifestyle and will stay on it even when I am just maintaining. It cured my diabetes, sleep apnea and keeps all of my labs in a spot that makes my doctor very happy, so why would I want to give that up and go back to my old way of eating.
  • balesalicia
    balesalicia Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    That is an insane amount of weight to get rid of! Congrats. Any tips on how you did it are welcome!
    Mongo5918 wrote: »
    I weigh every morning and log it in an Excel spreadsheet. It updates a chart that I have as one of the wallpaper images on my computer so I can see my progress from the day I started LCHF. The chart shows every day ups and downs and has a trend line that shows where I started and goes out into the future so I can see where my weight is headed if I keep doing what I'm doing. It keeps me focused on weight loss and the daily ups and downs don't concern me because I know they are normal. Plateaus are easy to see and you learn that if you stick to it the weight loss will start again pretty soon.
    I have lost over 160 lbs. since 5/1/15 and it looks great on the chart and keeps me focused. MFP can do the charting but for some stupid reason it will only show for a year at the longest, so is pretty useless for inspiration unless your only using LCHF as a temporary "diet". I made LCHF a lifestyle and will stay on it even when I am just maintaining. It cured my diabetes, sleep apnea and keeps all of my labs in a spot that makes my doctor very happy, so why would I want to give that up and go back to my old way of eating.

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Almost every morning, first thing in the morning with no clothes so it's not thrown off by what I'm wearing or what I've had to eat or drink so far. Like a pp, sometimes I'll weigh again later in the day if the a.m. number seems off. It's interesting to me to note things that seem to make a difference in the scale going up and down, and of course sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to it.

Weighing in daily helps me stay accountable (amazing how fast it can creep up for me if I get off track!) and I'm just curious to see how things are going. Also if I only weighed in weekly and it happened to be on one of those random scale-bouncing-up days, I'd be more likely to get discouraged by that.
  • Vilzi
    Vilzi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Usually every 2-3 days, and ALWAYS the day after I have had alcohol or consumed a more carb-heavy meal, so I see the consequences.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Vilzi wrote: »
    Usually every 2-3 days, and ALWAYS the day after I have had alcohol or consumed a more carb-heavy meal, so I see the consequences.

You probably need to wait a couple of days to see that - at least if my experience is any guide. Food in doesn't translate to actual weight gained immediately. My spouse uses that trick all the time. She has a big feast, then steps on the scale the next day and it is inevitably the same or lower than the previous day and announces, "See, I didn't totally kill myself." But a day or two later (depending on the size), she's up some - and never makes the connection.