Encouragement

Options
ambsnic17
ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
So needless to say I am frustrated and came here to get encouragement as my mind is telling me to cut waaayyy back on calories. (And I know I will be convinced to not do it!) GRRRR....I'm trying to be patient with this reset, don't get me wrong I'm LOVING eating more, but I'm HATING my old (pre-pregnancy clothes) not fitting and get all depressed when I don't like the way I look in my clothes. I've upped midweek last week to 2600 cals. I stopped measuring because I felt like I wasn't being very accurate. Sometimes I feel like I know what I'm doing and other days I feel lost. Anyone else experiencing something like this?

Replies

• crewbprice
    crewbprice Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way sometimes about weight loss in general, as there is so much information with different strategies to obtain your goal. What brought me to this group was that I was consistently hungry for a week straight no matter what I ate, but was staying the same weight. I realized that it is possible that I was eating too little, however, even according to this groups resources, I never ate below my basal rate. What I am now eating at is around my maintaince level to 200-300 below it, depending what calculator I check. However, it is about 500 calories more than what I have been eating. Currently on day 4, and my hunger has significantly improved, now I have more normal hunger urges around meal times and it is being relieved after meals. Thus far, the scale has stayed exactly the same, no increase or decrease in weight. So we will see how it goes.

Now this might not be the most motivating, but I will give you a website that I use that gives tons of motivation along with good articles to read to help you along. It is a little cheesy, I must warn you. It is www.nerdfitness.com

Hope this helps!
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Glad I'm not alone. There is so much info, theories, opinions, research etc about weight loss. So much to take into consideration: tdee, BMR, calories in/out, exercise burns...list continues. I try not to stress about it, but I'm human and I do! I agree that I also have noticed those hunger cues better and more 'normal' than I did before. Also, binging has stopped because I fit my cravings or favorite foods into my day. So that is a huge step but I'm ready for the weight to drop. It's so discouraging. I try to let it not bother me, but i feel like all my hard work isnt getting me anywhere, ya know? I don't want it to seem I'm complaining, I'm just a little stressed about not losing the weight.
    It's funny, I was just checking out that site before I read your post! Thank you!!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    ambsnic17 wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel like I know what I'm doing and other days I feel lost. Anyone else experiencing something like this?

I'm pretty sure all of us have felt this way and will again. After my reset I have lost inches, gone down in clothes sizes, but the scale is still not down to where I started and I gained less than 10 lbs. during the reset. I have dropped about half of that, but still the scale is not my friend. So I just keep on, doing what I think is the right thing and I keep dropping sizes. I can live with that for now. Strength training is why I have lost inches.

Unfortunately, our bodies do not keep up with our mind's fantasies :)

• lmarin85
    lmarin85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way!!! Changes daily. Yesterday- I felt awesome, like I had it all figured out- I literally couldn't stop bragging about how heavy I've been lifting and how great I feel. Today- couldn't be more different...I feel enormous, lazy, and moody. I just keep thinking January 1st is just a few weeks (when I plan to do my cut) and everything I do from now til then will benefit me in the long run. Pm me anytime- believe me, I know exactly how you feel. Reading your message actually just relaxes me, because I know others feel the same.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Thanks ladies!
    Retirehappy- I wish I could see the change and decrease in clothes sizes, but it's not happening.
    I know everyone feels this way at some point in their journey and more than once, lol. I guess I'm ready for January because that's when I plan to cut (if all goes well until then) I want to start seeing some kind of results. I take pics but don't see a difference. So here's to keeping at it and hopefully I'll start to see something!
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    are you doing any kind of strength training, as Retirehappy said, they have lost inches with a good strength training program. As have i. Over the past year i have not lost much weight but strength training has helped a lot with losing inches and gaining confidence. For me, its a mental struggle more than anything, and i do get stressed and freaked out, so you're not alone in that. It can be incredibly frustrating, especially when you have people trying to give you "advise" (aka things that might've worked for them but don't work for everybody). My mom is one of those people, so i rarely talk about my journey with her, she does not agree with the Eat More to Lose Weight or counting calorie thing and thinks shes fine but cannot figure out why she isn't losing weight. I mention here or there that i'm going to the gym and what i eat but in general i try to skip that subject. Just know you're doing this for you and at the end of that day that's all that really matters!
  • ksugirl13
    ksugirl13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain! I have only been logging consistently for 3 weeks now, but have attempted EM2WL off and on for a few months now. My weight has been in the same 10 lb range for a year and I just want it to budge (aka go down). I see pictures and actually get discouraged because I don't see any progress yet. I really don't want to let myself give up this time and I just want to keep at it. I am just trying hard to find ways to remind myself that I am making healthy decisions for my body even if I'm not seeing results yet. I am also trying (although not always successful) to keep the stress at bay because I know that stress is never my friend. I do love coming here and reading everyone's posts as we're all at different stages on our journey.
  • kmac1196
    kmac1196 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My pre reset clothes still don't fit me. About 1 month in to cutting now. But I ditched the scale. And it will happen. Consistency is the only answer.

Deep breath!
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do need to ditch the scale, but need it now as I'm trying to find my true tdee. So I'm still upping calories at this point.
    Kmac- how's the cut going? See any results?
    Stress is playing a part also...so that's certainly not helping. I'm considering taking a break from logging on here as I tend to get a little OCD at times, lol. Not sure if that will help or not. The stress is
    coming from seeing no results.
    Deep breath I need indeed! I will try to remember that!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Stress is huge factor in offsetting fat loss by water weight gain on the scale.
    But usually that water is gained mainly in midriff area, so would expect other spots to show some improvement even if stomach/hips don't.
    But sometimes hard to notice them.

Good point about needing the scale somewhat.
    Many find the reset helps their mental state too, and gives better focus to what's important.
  • kmac1196
    kmac1196 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yes, progress. I'll update my thread on Monday ("Ripping off the Bandaid")! There's one updated tricep picture in there now though!

The scale hopped around so very much for me and always does that it was messing with me. Now monthly weigh ins will give me an idea if I need to change anything slightly or stay the course.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Heybales- you are right, that's where the "stress weight" is, the midriff area. Like I mentioned, I was measuring but felt i wasn't accurate enough so stopped. Took pictures and couldn't notice anything here either, so that's when the stress hits.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I cannot even articulate what is going on with me. Blah.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Saranharm-hope everything is ok.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Yes. I need a plan and a focus. I also need a personal tdee calulator and management assistant. Job description also includes: cheerleading
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Aww, I know what you mean! It's tough to figure this stuff out. Who would have thought that there is so much that goes into losing weight? Ahhhhh!!!!!!
    Hang in there. We will do this together