• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Speaking of coconut:

51x9gTSe2GL.jpg

517UC6XoZEL.jpg

Toasted-Coconut-Flakes.jpg

No sugar or other sweeteners, but I swear they taste sweet to me.

This is a great option. Tonight my kids were making smores by a fire and I snacked on my Baggie mix of coconut flakes, dark chocolate shavings and slivered almonds. It is nice and sweet, good for me and I didn't feel like I was missing out at all. One of my girls likes dark chocolate, but not my kind (86%) lol. She just likes Hershey's special dark which is loaded with sugar. It's more like milk chocolate!
    Anyway, cut the sweets back and you'll be thinking almonds taste sweet too in no time. :)
  • balesalicia
    balesalicia Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Me too!! These are the best snacks! Hard to find though where I am
    wabmester wrote: »
    Speaking of coconut:

51x9gTSe2GL.jpg

517UC6XoZEL.jpg

Toasted-Coconut-Flakes.jpg

No sugar or other sweeteners, but I swear they taste sweet to me.

• inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I buy that same coconut from Vitacost. VERY reasonable and sometimes they even have sales.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I eat one square of Lindt 90% dark chocolate before bed each night with some almond or cashew butter. It seems to take care of any sweet cravings so far. I've also found that chai tea with heavy cream and no sweeteners added still tastes pretty sweet to me and makes a good snack!
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'll have 85%+ dark chocolate or coconut flakes. Those are the only two sweet treats I allow myself. Usually it will be the dark chocolate, as the stuff I typically buy is so costly I can't financially afford binge on it.
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I find them easier to resist by completely going without rather than trying to eat sweets. That just makes me want more like you just described. I doubt eating more would leave you satisfied.

This definitely seems to be the case.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm with the avoidance group here. Any sweet replacements I've tried still call to me like the old stuff did. I don't want any food controlling my thoughts anymore, so I choose to not indulge. Don't miss it either! Good luck OP!
  • who4fan
    who4fan Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have a Quest Bar every night. It takes care of my dessert cravings and it gives me lots of fiber. I find that I actually need the fiber and this solves both problems nicely.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Instead of starting a new thread, i was hoping someone can answer this here. A lot of the keto desserts call for sugar free syrup, which is no where to be found here in OZ, and I don't want to order online.
    I did buy a normal vanilla syrup but it's loaded with sugar/carbs. To me, It tastes exactly the same as vanilla essence. Can I sub the essence for the syrup in recipes? Is vanilla essence a low carb no no?
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I believe Vanilla essence is similar to Vanilla extract in the states, which not a low carb no no, at least for diabetics, it can be a way of adding a little flavor without affecting blood sugars to much. If the ingredients of the Vanilla extract are similar to: "Propylene glycol, water, natural vanilla extract 1.3%, colour caramel E150d", then it shouldn't really do anything to blood sugar or mimic something that has carb/sugar content.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Thank you :smile: .
    Yes vanilla essence/extract are pretty much the same thing as far as I know.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    I agree. I'm a sugar addict. Sweets to me are like shots of tequila to an alcoholic. I leave them alone and they leave me alone.
    I find them easier to resist by completely going without rather than trying to eat sweets. That just makes me want more like you just described. I doubt eating more would leave you satisfied.

Bahahahha too funny
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    So, I've found myself in the mood for a sweet treat tonight and thought I'd share one of standard go-to choices for this.
    I almost always first try to curb the desire with coffee & sugar free syrup and hwc, which I did tonight (cocoa powder and sweetener in almond milk or tea with sweetener are good choices too), but I had extra calories tonight so I also had my favorite snack mix of coconut flakes, sliced almonds and shaved dark chocolate. It's pretty crumbly since I'm at the bottom of my mix bag, but I just eat it with a spoon. ;)
    9p170t351d8i.jpeg
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    So, I've found myself in the mood for a sweet treat tonight and thought I'd share one of standard go-to choices for this.
    I almost always first try to curb the desire with coffee & sugar free syrup and hwc, which I did tonight (cocoa powder and sweetener in almond milk or tea with sweetener are good choices too), but I had extra calories tonight so I also had my favorite snack mix of coconut flakes, sliced almonds and shaved dark chocolate. It's pretty crumbly since I'm at the bottom of my mix bag, but I just eat it with a spoon. ;)
    9p170t351d8i.jpeg

Do you mix it up ur self? If so what ingredients exactly do you use? And does this make you have more cravings?
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Christinev297…as for these artificially sweetened syrup brands…. too tempting to overuse, not sure how great the ingredients are, we are better off with plain vanilla or other simple flavors- raspberry, orange, etc. …I looked at the store brands I see..they all have Aspartame as the sweetener..or other suspected *kitten*…so adding your OWN choice of sweetener + flavor seems safest.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Christinev297…as for these artificially sweetened syrup brands…. too tempting to overuse, not sure how great the ingredients are, we are better off with plain vanilla or other simple flavors- raspberry, orange, etc. …I looked at the store brands I see..they all have Aspartame as the sweetener..or other suspected *kitten*…so adding your OWN choice of sweetener + flavor seems safest.

Thanks @KETOGENICGURL I agree with keeping it simple :+1:

@Sunny_Bunny_ That mix looks delicious.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    9p170t351d8i.jpeg

Do you mix it up ur self? If so what ingredients exactly do you use? And does this make you have more cravings?

I am able to eat this completely craving free!
    It's unsweetened organic coconut flakes (straight outta the bag), sliced almonds (plain) and 86% dark chocolate (That I shave with a knife myself).
    For a whole sandwich bag I add about 2.5 squares of the chocolate. And probably slightly more coconut than almond, not that the ratios matter too much. Don't want to go crazy in the chocolate, but there's a good amount of it in there for taste.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    And, of course, I'll nibble on this all week long when I want a bite of something. It's not a one serving thing. Lol
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    i am being driven crazy by the sweet tooth!! I am usually ok with mixing up some peanut butter and whipped cream but lately that hasn't been enough. I looked up some recipes but they seem difficult and call for off the wall ingredients.

Wow. Totally stealing the PB and whipped cream idea. Sounds like heaven.