Looks like "they" were wrong

Options
daylitemag
daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
I think many who have never tried a LCHF WOE believe that people "need" to eat vegetables, fruit and grains in order to survive. Well, I guess we should them!

I am living proof that you can essentially eat nothing but protein and fat and still be healthy. I wasn't really skeptical when I started on my new WOE a month ago. For most of my life I've never really eaten vegetables and my fruit intake was minimal. Really, the change in my diet since going LCHF has really just been eliminating carbs in their many forms. I feel better. I'm rarely hungry. I have no acid reflux. I sleep better. So, overall, yeah, "they" were wrong all of these years. Go figure!

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    G
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that success story.

• NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    not a veggie fan either. Not much fruit. This WOE is made for me
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I agree completely! The "experts" are idiots! I wish all could see it too! So glad you're here OP, and figured this out too!! KOKO (keep on keepin on!)!!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I've been telling everyone they're wrong for years
    ;)
    Oh... You just meant the nutrition "experts" huh?
    Lol
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I have eaten almost no vegetables for over two years. For over a year, I have only had incidental amounts (seasoning and sometimes a bit of onion or green pepper if I get fajitas). I don't eat fruit or grains either.

Yep, you can survive, and thrive, just fine without fruit, veggies, and grain. Nothing but protein and fat for me either.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I've been telling everyone they're wrong for years
    ;)
    Oh... You just meant the nutrition "experts" huh?
    Lol

Hahaha!

• inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I agree. I don't think you NEED veggies, but I like them too much to give them up.

Cabbage is my guilty pleasure. :smile: I don't even know myself any more.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Cabbage is my guilty pleasure. :smile: I don't even know myself any more.

Cabbage was the first vegetable to go in my house, before all others. I love it! Corned beef and cabbage is probably one of my favorite dishes. My wife, on the other hand, claims that the only thing that smells worse than cabbage cooking is what comes out of me after eating it. If I cook or eat cabbage, it would have to be when she was out of the house for at least a week. It's not kind to my digestive system. And, it leaves an odor in the house (from cooking and after effects) that my wife will not tolerate. That was one of two olfactory demands she made before we moved in together (the other being that I had to stop smoking cigarettes).
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I completely agree that they aren't necessary, but I eat them anyway because I enjoy them! I dont have them every day (none today for example), but I do regularly eat veggies. Yum!
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    NewSue52 wrote: »
    not a veggie fan either. Not much fruit. This WOE is made for me

Haha that's exactly how I feel! Give me cheese any day.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Nutrient wise, organ meat has practically everything EXCEPT ascorbic acid (Vit C); I don't think any modern humans without starvation suffer from scurvy. I've never been a fruit advocate because the vitamin/mineral/nutrient contents are completely unbalanced....150% vitamin C but 1-5% B vitamins for say 1 serving....no vitamins ADE usually. Compared to a balanced vegetable such as kale, fruit is a waste of calories (except avocados of course).
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    Nutrient wise, organ meat has practically everything EXCEPT ascorbic acid (Vit C); I don't think any modern humans without starvation suffer from scurvy. I've never been a fruit advocate because the vitamin/mineral/nutrient contents are completely unbalanced....150% vitamin C but 1-5% B vitamins for say 1 serving....no vitamins ADE usually. Compared to a balanced vegetable such as kale, fruit is a waste of calories (except avocados of course).

Agree! Especially about the avocados!
    I've never been able to develop a taste for organ meats. I wish I could. I know they are amazingly good for us.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a few veggies so I doubt I'll ever give them up, but it was quite a learning experience when I came to realize they were not needed. LOL

What good "proof" from scientific source is there for this? Anything modern that you could recommend?
  • sassyangies
    sassyangies Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am just learning this way of eating. I don't want to talk about it with other people because I know I'll get "the talk" . I feel like this is the way for me though. I don't feel hungry at all since limiting my carbs. I still have allot of learning to do though. Anyone know how to get the ratios I should be eating? How much fat, carb, and protein I should be eating each day?
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I enjoy a few veggies so I doubt I'll ever give them up, but it was quite a learning experience when I came to realize they were not needed. LOL

What good "proof" from scientific source is there for this? Anything modern that you could recommend?

Depends on how modern you want. We have a study from the 1920s where two men lived a whole year on only meat (no eggs, dairy, supplements, or plants of any sort). The end result was that they were just as healthy after a year as when they started, if not slightly healthier, and showed no signs of any deficiencies. Of course, that is a century ago. But, no one has been willing to pay for a recreation of this experiment in more modern times.

There's lots of research, but none of it controls entirely for plant intake.

We know of several native cultures that eat little/no plant matter, although most have been converted to modern eating habits. There are adult male Maasai who still follow a traditional diet, which is mostly dairy and meat. They don't suffer for it. But, these reports aren't really science.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I am just learning this way of eating. I don't want to talk about it with other people because I know I'll get "the talk" . I feel like this is the way for me though. I don't feel hungry at all since limiting my carbs. I still have allot of learning to do though. Anyone know how to get the ratios I should be eating? How much fat, carb, and protein I should be eating each day?

Either of these are good choices.
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
    http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    V_Keto_V wrote: »

Actually, beef kidney and pancreas, as well as eyeballs, are rather rich in Vitamin C. That said, those on zero carb diets don't seem to have the same needs for Vitamin C as those on diets with higher amounts of carbs. There are various hypotheses as to why this is, though I think the going ones are that a) Vitamin C is used to make things like collagen, which can be obtained directly for meat (circumventing that need entirely), and b) Vitamin C competes with glucose, which is internally sourced almost entirely on such a diet, thus drastically reducing the need for it to the point that what the body does need is available in the trace amounts found in meat.

Here's a nice article on the matter -- http://zerocarbzen.com/vitamin-c/
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    On the vitamin C thing, I don't supplement anything at all. I rarely eat organ meat. I will sometimes, but it's not a regular thing. I just like some of them. I get essentially zero vitamin C in my diet, and I haven't had any for well over a year. Still haven't gotten scurvy. I'll keep trying and let you all know when it develops. :wink:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    On the vitamin C thing, I don't supplement anything at all. I rarely eat organ meat. I will sometimes, but it's not a regular thing. I just like some of them. I get essentially zero vitamin C in my diet, and I haven't had any for well over a year. Still haven't gotten scurvy. I'll keep trying and let you all know when it develops. :wink:

Huuuuuuuuuuuuh?!?!? How are you still alive?!?
    ;)