Options
2»

Replies

• V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    Nutrient wise, organ meat has practically everything EXCEPT ascorbic acid (Vit C); I don't think any modern humans without starvation suffer from scurvy. I've never been a fruit advocate because the vitamin/mineral/nutrient contents are completely unbalanced....150% vitamin C but 1-5% B vitamins for say 1 serving....no vitamins ADE usually. Compared to a balanced vegetable such as kale, fruit is a waste of calories (except avocados of course).

Actually, beef kidney and pancreas, as well as eyeballs, are rather rich in Vitamin C. That said, those on zero carb diets don't seem to have the same needs for Vitamin C as those on diets with higher amounts of carbs. There are various hypotheses as to why this is, though I think the going ones are that a) Vitamin C is used to make things like collagen, which can be obtained directly for meat (circumventing that need entirely), and b) Vitamin C competes with glucose, which is internally sourced almost entirely on such a diet, thus drastically reducing the need for it to the point that what the body does need is available in the trace amounts found in meat.

Here's a nice article on the matter -- http://zerocarbzen.com/vitamin-c/
    Awsome! I obviously haven't eaten pancreas or eyeballs before. Do butchers carry these organs or do you have to know a farmer?

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    On the vitamin C thing, I don't supplement anything at all. I rarely eat organ meat. I will sometimes, but it's not a regular thing. I just like some of them. I get essentially zero vitamin C in my diet, and I haven't had any for well over a year. Still haven't gotten scurvy. I'll keep trying and let you all know when it develops. :wink:

Huuuuuuuuuuuuh?!?!? How are you still alive?!?
    ;)

He is GOAT. THAT'S how.
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    hilarious!
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Funny funny every one. I do like some lettuce with great full blue cheese dressing, but its minimal. Its the sugars, grains, and processed foods, that have really made a difference in my life! :-)