Happy thanksgiving! But...

Options
rayn3z
rayn3z Posts: 19 Member
Hey everyone! I wanted to wish all of you a happy thanksgiving and hope you will enjoy those special moments with your beloved ones!

On the other side, what does everyone here do to avoid (over)indulging in thanksgiving carb dinners? How do you guys eat on those days?

I am just starting on this LCHF lifestyle (day 3) with not exactly being able to stay under 20g net carbs but scaling from 36-46g and every day going lower.. I really am trying hard and I am dreading the fact that dinners on thanksgiving are coming soon and I might have to start all over again...

So any tips would help :)

Replies

• PasPlus
    PasPlus Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I usually decide what the biggest temptation(s) might be - and offer the host to take it as my contribution to the feast. Then I use low carb magic to make sure that I can eat it and no one will know I am depriving them of their carbage. Genuis eh?
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    we don't have thanksgiving here in the UK,

but for Christmas Day I'm going to adjust to 100g for the day & Boxing Day when the family visit.

Maybe you can adjust yours just for the day? Just a suggestion.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Turkey, buttered veggies, raw veggies & LC cheesecake.
    I can hardly wait! :)

>:) OR o:)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Pick just about any meat. Hopefully someone made salads, add ranch dressing. Broccoli, squash, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, asparagus in melted butter. Green Beans with bacon. Strawberries with heavy whipping cream or Reddiwhip. You could bring some of these as a dish, then you'll be set.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    Current weight: 194.9, 119 pounds down, 16 to go. 14 months on diet
  • mjones1029
    mjones1029 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    those are some great ideas ditto dan!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    Great question! I've already been pondering it since this is my first holiday on LCHF. So I'm going to do a turkey (traditional!), roasted brussels sprouts in olive oil, big ole' salad, swedish potatoes for the rest of the gang. I'll also have pumpkin pie but I'm only going to have a sliver with a bunch of whipped cream on top :) I feel very nervous making stuffing and cranberry sauce so I think I'll just not even both. With the swedish potatoes everyone else should be happy and it's an easy dish I can just avoid! I'd love to hear other ideas too!!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Pick just about any meat. Hopefully someone made salads, add ranch dressing. Broccoli, squash, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, asparagus in melted butter. Green Beans with bacon. Strawberries with heavy whipping cream or Reddiwhip. You could bring some of these as a dish, then you'll be set.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    Current weight: 194.9, 119 pounds down, 16 to go. 14 months on diet

Oh I like the idea of strawberries and heavy whipped cream...yum!! BTW the best place I've found to buy heavy whipped cream is Trader Joe's. It's organic and only $2.89.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    If you are the cook, there are a few low carb holiday recipe boards on Pinterest. Other then that, meat and roasted veggies. I bake brussels sprouts and asparagus with bacon. I also make low(er) carb cranberry sauce, and a LC pumpkin cheesecake.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,967 Member
    Options
    It helps to have the fam in on it. My MIL has NAFLD and diabetes now so I'm betting it will be lower carb. I'm bringing deviled eggs and a LC dessert. I'm hoping the auntie brings 7-layer salad (lower carb-lettuce, shredded cheddar, sour cream, bacon bits, and peas. Weirdly yummy.). If I have meat and veggies and I can get them to reserve me some pan drippings so I can make legal gravy, I'm good. I've found a good stuffing recipe, but I don't love stuffing enough to make it worth all the work. They'll probably have greenbeans.

Mmmmmmm gravy on everything.....yummy_2011.gif
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    It helps to have the fam in on it. My MIL has NAFLD and diabetes now so I'm betting it will be lower carb. I'm bringing deviled eggs and a LC dessert. I'm hoping the auntie brings 7-layer salad (lower carb-lettuce, shredded cheddar, sour cream, bacon bits, and peas. Weirdly yummy.). If I have meat and veggies and I can get them to reserve me some pan drippings so I can make legal gravy, I'm good. I've found a good stuffing recipe, but I don't love stuffing enough to make it worth all the work. They'll probably have greenbeans.

Do you have a link to the stuffing recipe? I'd love to try one, because I know my guy will want "stovetop" stuffing otherwise... LOL
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,967 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Do you have a link to the stuffing recipe? I'd love to try one, because I know my guy will want "stovetop" stuffing otherwise... LOL

Was looking at this one:
    cavemanketo.com/almond-bun-stuffing/

First you make your almond buns. Then you make the stuffing.
    Looks yummy but like a lot of work.

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I think I'm just going to plan for a cheat day, but only on Thanksgiving day (no leftover cheats).

ETA: We are also having Thanksgiving at our own place this year (first time ever), so I will probably prepare some low-carb substitutions... like a cheesy cauliflower casserole instead of macaroni and cheese, maybe that almond bun stuffing.... but I will relax my carb limits to account for stuff like sweet potatoes (prepared without the typical Southern marshmallows, brown sugar, and whatever else--I like them with only butter and salt anyway).
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I am making a turkey, mashed cauiflower with pesto , asparagus with proscuitto and a pumpkin cheesecake with gingersnap crust with salted caramel sauce drizzled on it .....there will be lots of food ....I will be having 45 people over so I am sure there will be something for everyone ....this is my 1st holiday doing the LCHF and I am excited and anxious
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I'm mainly sticking to low carb foods-turkey & low carb veggies, but I am going to have dressing because it's a once a year thing. I plan on baking a half apple with butter and cinnamon and adding roasted pecans and whipped cream for my dessert.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Was looking at this one:

And of course, you could just bake it "cornbread" style or something, rather than go to the trouble of individual pieces, I guess. But question here. I reacted in a carby fashion to the fathead pizza crust - do you think it was the almond flour or the cheese? I eat cheese, even in quantity often without that much reaction. If it was the almond flour, i'm likely to have that reaction, here, too, I'd think... I didn't react when I made coconot flour pancakes, but did when adding chia and flax to my shake... so...my though is that if I react as if there are carbs, I might as well eat a tiny portion of the leaded stuff.... that way he'll eat it without whining, etc.... Any thoughts?
  • DianaElena76
    Options

Was looking at this one:

And of course, you could just bake it "cornbread" style or something, rather than go to the trouble of individual pieces, I guess. But question here. I reacted in a carby fashion to the fathead pizza crust - do you think it was the almond flour or the cheese? I eat cheese, even in quantity often without that much reaction. If it was the almond flour, i'm likely to have that reaction, here, too, I'd think... I didn't react when I made coconot flour pancakes, but did when adding chia and flax to my shake... so...my though is that if I react as if there are carbs, I might as well eat a tiny portion of the leaded stuff.... that way he'll eat it without whining, etc.... Any thoughts?

Fortunately for me my hubby LOVED those almond buns, so I don't need to worry about anything except him eating it all himself. :tongue:
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    I'm mainly sticking to low carb foods-turkey & low carb veggies, but I am going to have dressing because it's a once a year thing. I plan on baking a half apple with butter and cinnamon and adding roasted pecans and whipped cream for my dessert.

Oh, that apple dessert sounds heavenly!!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »

Was looking at this one:

Fortunately for me my hubby LOVED those almond buns, so I don't need to worry about anything except him eating it all himself. :tongue:

Yeah, my guy keeps getting cranky about me "messing with his food." SIGH I'm sure he'd notice and act a butt about it, even if he loved it.
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I am making a turkey, mashed cauiflower with pesto , asparagus with proscuitto and a pumpkin cheesecake with gingersnap crust with salted caramel sauce drizzled on it .....there will be lots of food ....I will be having 45 people over so I am sure there will be something for everyone ....this is my 1st holiday doing the LCHF and I am excited and anxious
    Sounds Delish! Where did you find the cheesecake with gingersnap crust? 45 people?!!!! I would be passed out by now planning for this many! You are Amazing!

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    Sounds Delish! Where did you find the cheesecake with gingersnap crust? 45 people?!!!! I would be passed out by now planning for this many! You are Amazing!

Thanks Sue ...Everyone is bringing something so its not that bad .....pioneerwoman.com has the recipe for the gingersnap crusted pumpkin cheesecake