I'm a geek, who may try an experiment

2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2015
    An update:
    My carb level varies a bit by day, but is at about 50-60grams NET. I chose net so I could keep eating tons of vegetables.
    I added back my bio-identical progesterone at the same time I started the experiment, so I created confounding variables. I am taking the amount prescribed, for the first time, and am taking it at night.

So it's been a month and a few days.
    OMG I feel so good. My secretary has even noticed!
    I sleep! Yes, I still wake up at 12 or 1am, but the difference is: after I pee I fall immediately back asleep.
    I've slept so well, I've had a couple of 10 and 12 hr sleeps. I've slept through my workout a few times.
    THAT, I believe is mostly the progesterone. But who knows.
    I've gained a few pounds (that's the progesterone for sure), but haven't gained a lot (because I'm controlling carbs).

About the carbs: I feel better. My blood sugar is more stable, and the wicked menopause cravings are no longer in control.
    I feel like once my body adjusts to the progesterone, I will be able to drop those few LBS and maybe a few more vanity pounds.

A typical day for me these days:
    Breakfast: cottage cheese and avocado, or poached eggs and avocado, or avocado and full fat cream cheese on a low carb tortilla, or a high fat green smoothie (avocado, coconut etc). And tomato juice. I had bacon and eggs once.
    Lunch: a huge green salad with a cold water fish on it, a full fat dressing
    Dinner: whatever protein we're having, and some steamed green vegetables with butter (broccoli, edamame, cauliflower etc) Last night's dinner was a shrimp, tomato, coconut soup.
    snacks: nuts, cheese, edamame, nori...
    (and some chardonnay. Giving up my lovely evening wine on school nights is my next goal)

TL;dr: something about this combination has me feeling like ME. The only downside is I've gained a couple of pounds from the meds, and am sleeping through workouts.

Here's yesterday:
    42l3vlxln1km.jpg

OH! and some olives. Forgot to add those.
  • aamundsoncpa
    aamundsoncpa Posts: 77 Member
    Sabine - I was just thinking about you the other day, wondering how your experiment was going! Sounds like a success!!

My carbs intake has been a lot less lately too. I can't say if that's the reason I've been feeling better and actually losing weight, or if it's eliminating sugar and alcohol and most of the caffeine from my diet. Whatever works!! And it sure gives me incentive to keep up the healthier lifestyle!!

Wishing you continued success....I'm sure the extra pounds will come off as your body continues to adjust.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine - I was just thinking about you the other day, wondering how your experiment was going! Sounds like a success!!

My carbs intake has been a lot less lately too. I can't say if that's the reason I've been feeling better and actually losing weight, or if it's eliminating sugar and alcohol and most of the caffeine from my diet. Whatever works!! And it sure gives me incentive to keep up the healthier lifestyle!!

Wishing you continued success....I'm sure the extra pounds will come off as your body continues to adjust.

You as well!!! I wish us both luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Still feeling good with lower carbs, and bioidentical progesterone.
    I've settled at a carb level that allows for plenty of nutrient dense plant foods, and the occasional whole meal bread or crackers.

I'm sleeping well, and have no real symptoms.

Alas, I did just start a bleed. First time in a while. Back to day one of my menopause count! (even though it's likely I'm bleeding due to starting the progesterone)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I love experiments. Keto is an experiment for me too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    lithezebra wrote: »

In the end I didn't end up as low as keto, but definitely lower carb than the average western diet eater!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member

In the end I didn't end up as low as keto, but definitely lower carb than the average western diet eater!

I wouldn't do keto if it was for weight loss, and I wouldn't do it if there were a less difficult way to alleviate the symptoms I'm trying to alleviate. I'm glad that your black soy beans and what sounds like a very healthy diet are working for you!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2015

I wouldn't do keto if it was for weight loss, and I wouldn't do it if there were a less difficult way to alleviate the symptoms I'm trying to alleviate. I'm glad that your black soy beans and what sounds like a very healthy diet are working for you!

Yeah, in the end, I'm definitely not keto.
    I am eating very few, but some grains
    very few, but some fruit, mostly berries
    lots of vegetables
    some legumes
    definitely not keto.
    Just lower.
  • ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,024 Member
    My symptoms vary. These days my primary symptoms are insomnia, dizziness, tinnitus, and night sweats (with some day time hot flashes). The most troubling are the dizziness and tinnitus.
    I haven't started yet. Am doing some research.

Ok - now the dizziness and insomnia are explaining everything. Thank you for sharing this link!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    My symptoms vary. These days my primary symptoms are insomnia, dizziness, tinnitus, and night sweats (with some day time hot flashes). The most troubling are the dizziness and tinnitus.
    I haven't started yet. Am doing some research.

Ok - now the dizziness and insomnia are explaining everything. Thank you for sharing this link!!

Cheers. Hope you find some relief.
    I wish the media would mention more than only hot flashes!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    It's now been about six weeks since I started my experiment.
    Here's what I'd say now:
    eating low(er) carb hasn't been all that hard.
    I think it helped me not gain too much weight when I started progesterone (which I know will cause weight gain).
    I don't know, now which helped my symptoms: lowering carbs or adding progesterone.
    My body seems to miss eating the amount of fiber I have been for years.

So, I'm going back to my tried and true (for 14 years) SLOW carb approach to eating.
    Fish, lean meats, low fat dairy, legumes, nuts and seeds, Lots of high fiber vegetables, and some fruit.
    With menopause, I'll keep the GRAINS lower and keep the fiber up. Which will lower my carbs a bit (relative to SAD), but won't be as high fat as I have been the last six weeks.

Thanks for following along on my experiment!