Keto becoming really restrictive

Options
DietPrada
DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
Okay, I've done Keto for most of last year, and then since February this year. I've done all the reading, I'd consider myself a seasoned veteran. However lately my diet has become incredibly restrictive. Mainly because I am not losing weight. I was previously losing weight on 1900 calories (I'm still 97kg so I'm not close to goal). Over the last few months that's become 1500 calories. I have always eaten at 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs. I've cut out artificial sweeteners of any kind. I've cut out anything nut related. I've cut out all fake flours (coconut, almond). I've cut out most dairy (a bit of butter is all I have). I've cut out any kind of processed meat as I can't control what's in it (hidden sugars and other nasty chemicals). I've significantly reduced my veges, as too many carbs. I would like to eat more avocado's but not at $4 each, I can't afford it. I'm pretty much eating eggs and unprocessed meat and it's making me unhappy. And still, no real result in 6 weeks. And I'm getting plenty of salt, taking a magnesium/potassium supplement, drinking water, eating at a deficit, hitting macros but still nothing. I like eating low carb, but I realised last night how restrictive it'd become and how narrow the list of foods I can eat is.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm hearing you on the price hike with this way of eating.. Avocado's are my favourite staple. They're on "special" at woolies at the moment, 2 for $5.50 :open_mouth: I dread to think how much they are going to cost when they're not in season :cry: Coconut oil, $11 for 250g, give me strength!!!
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    This is a dangerous place to be, imo.

Boredom and stalls knocked me out in the past.

Reset your brain. Refocus on the benefits keto IS giving you th as the are not scale related. If you never lost another pound, would keto be worth it? Focus there.

You MUST vary your diet - try new recipes, new foods, new ways of preparing the same foods.

6 weeks is simply your body readjusting, it is not the rest of your life.

Change some things up. You can do this!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Cutting foods that are keto-healthy isn't going to help long-term and that's how you have to look at this. Your body will naturally go into stalls just to adjust to the new you. This is good and again, take the long view. @nicintime is right... you really need to re-frame how you're viewing keto and your successes.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Have you considered counting net carbs instead of total carbs? That would allow you more vegetables on which to eat butter or olive oil.

Did you cut out dairy because of the carbs, or for other reasons? There are definitely dairy products with little or no carbohydrate.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Any difference in measurements or clothing fit?
  • rhondalankford692
    Options
    Losing 23 lbs on keto in 9 months is pretty slow. But it's still losing so that's good. Are you taking medications that might get in the way of dieting? Are you exercising? I take seroquel which greatly effects my weight loss. I got frustrated the other day so I did the fat fast for 1.5 days and then resumed eat 25 carbs a day and eating around 1,500 calories a day. It seems to have worked as the scale is in the down direction again. Maybe you could try the fat fast for a few days then resume normal keto eating. I would also add some dairy back. Just make sure not to eat a block of cheese at once.lol....And definitely add back veggies.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I agree with "reframe." keep trying new strategies until you feel it's right again. Seems I'm always making adjustments, some work- some dont. I always stay committed to the plan because of so many benefits for my health, energy, vanity. Never going back. Keep moving forward.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Maybe add some calories back in and increase exercise if you are not doing any. It may allow you to add in some variety and prevent the boredom. I've only been averaging .2 to 1 pound a week since May. However, as Sunny_bunny mentioned, it's not just about the scale but measurements count as well. When I'm in a stall on the scale, I notice how my clothing fits and the measurements on thighs, belly, hips keep getting smaller even though the scale isn't moving. Some have tried IF, water fasts, to push past a plateau, but I've found that to be too restrictive, but an interesting experiment.
    Try not to get discouraged, this WOE is more effective than any other "diet" I've been on, stalls and all.

There are some great recipes for LCHF and Keto on these threads and on the internet. I've enjoyed experimenting with cauliflower and other veggie recipes, I've also been trying meats not in my normal routine, such as lamb, duck, bison, venison. I recently went to a German deli and found all kinds of new and interesting sausages and smoked meats.
    Happy hunting.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Could there have been too many changes, too close together? Your body didn't get adjusted to one change before being faced with another. We need about a month after ant adjustments to see if they make a difference. Imo: your body doesn't know what to do. Maybe add back something's, to help with the boredom aspect, maybe all the way back to where you were originally losing. Sort of a do over of the restrictions.

If you've read any of my posts, blog...you will see that I have stalled since June 1st. Have only lost 1.1 pounds in that time! What kept me going was the loss of inches (16.75 total in that time), plus, how wonderful I began to truly feel! If I had allowed the scale to be my motivation, I probably wouldn't be here. Try not to let it get to you!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Have you considered IF? I found have a "fat fast" with BPC for mot of the day frees me to have a better dinner with a bit more variety. That way I'm having 300-600 calories of fats to start my day and then I can have a great late afternoon snack and dinner.

I started on this becaues I was stalled in weight loss because of my own making - I was eating a few extra hundred calories and my carbs sneaked up to 30+g per day. Fat fasting a few days a week simplifies things for me and I was able to enjoy dinners with the company I've had lately.

Maybe get some good keto friendly books out of the library for inspiration? Books on grilling meats, making eggs or on cooking with cheese? I have one called Butter and Bacon right now. LOL

I hope you find a good groove again before this stall frustrates you too much. Hang in there.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Could there have been too many changes, too close together? Your body didn't get adjusted to one change before being faced with another. We need about a month after ant adjustments to see if they make a difference. Imo: your body doesn't know what to do. Maybe add back something's, to help with the boredom aspect, maybe all the way back to where you were originally losing. Sort of a do over of the restrictions.

If you've read any of my posts, blog...you will see that I have stalled since June 1st. Have only lost 1.1 pounds in that time! What kept me going was the loss of inches (16.75 total in that time), plus, how wonderful I began to truly feel! If I had allowed the scale to be my motivation, I probably wouldn't be here. Try not to let it get to you!

This is awesome! I'm going to have to keep this in mind as I go through this journey!
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Losing 23 lbs on keto in 9 months is pretty slow. But it's still losing so that's good. Are you taking medications that might get in the way of dieting? Are you exercising? I take seroquel which greatly effects my weight loss. I got frustrated the other day so I did the fat fast for 1.5 days and then resumed eat 25 carbs a day and eating around 1,500 calories a day. It seems to have worked as the scale is in the down direction again. Maybe you could try the fat fast for a few days then resume normal keto eating. I would also add some dairy back. Just make sure not to eat a block of cheese at once.lol....And definitely add back veggies.

What exactly is the "fat fast"...
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    esaucier17 wrote: »

It's a fast except for fats. I will "fat fast" with bulletproof coffee (BPC - coffee with coconut oil, maye some butter or coconut cream, whipped into a froth).
  • ndvoice
    ndvoice Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Plateaus happen in every diet / exercise plan. If you've been doing the same thing for a long time & not seeing results, the plateau breaker is usually "changing things up". Vary the diet & recipes more, vary the types of exercise, amount of exercise, etc. Maybe 5% carb isn't ideal for you? Maybe add the veggies back in? There's lots of options! But don't be disheartened - plateauing is a totally normal thing & it won't last forever. As for the boredom with the diet - to be successful long term, you need a plan you can eat for life. So if having a couple veggies & some dairy makes the lifestyle more sustainable for you and gives you more variety, then I think that's what you need to do. It doesn't have to be "all or nothing". I need variety & color and to cook food I enjoy & experiment with new flavors. That's what I love about food & that's what I do, cause it works for me.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    esaucier17 wrote: »

It's a fast except for fats. I will "fat fast" with bulletproof coffee (BPC - coffee with coconut oil, maye some butter or coconut cream, whipped into a froth).

@nvmomketo How many bullet proof coffees would you drink in a day while doing a fat fast, Also how many calories does it add up to?
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I love coffee so I drink a few. Often 2-3 large travel mugs worth - that's 8-10 cups on my coffee maker. Bad, I know. :blush:

My tall travel mug would take about 1 tsp coconut oil and 2 heaping tsp of coconut cream. Sometimes I add a very small amount of protein powder (~1/8th of a serving). That works out to about 200 calories. I vary it on most days so it's hard to say exactly. Today's were just over 200 C.

A lot of people use differing amounts to taste. Many use butter.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Just one of my bpc's is around is around 400 calories :open_mouth: Yes i use cream, butter, coconut oil,protein powder and cacao. I'm a hooked!

As for the coffee, they released a study the other day which was all over the news here how drinking coffee can prevent heart disease and other ailments. I didnt listen too closely as I'm not a coffee drinker. So drink away :+1::lol: