new to MFP

gayle70115
gayle70115 Posts: 2 Member
Just saying "hi". So glad to find this perfect group for me. This entire journey for me started with "the change" and the health issues that ensued. I'll be checking in here frequently. Thanks to whoever created this group!

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Welcome, Gayle!
  • yorkshiregirl67
    yorkshiregirl67 Posts: 14 Member
    Gayle welcome to this group. I have been on here for almost a month now and the support from the ladies on here has been great. Make a couple of friends from this site who will support you in your achievements/set backs I found that to be great.(I could be your 1st friend if you would like.) I also started a blog that my MFP friends comment on or like and that seems to hold me responsible. I started this journey by making small changes in my life creating new habits. For the last 3 weeks I have exercised for 10 minutes for 5 days of the week. Today I went for a cycle ride something I would not of had the energy to do 3 weeks ago. Have fun on this journey be prepared for the set backs, and let us all support you along this journey. :)
  • uptoyoufitness
    uptoyoufitness Posts: 21 Member
    Hello Gayle,
    Welcome to the group and congratulations on making the choice to join us! Let's look at this as health habits rather than health issues. We're all here to change our habits so we never have issues. Look forward to reading your input and learning more about your journey.
  • Hello. I am also new to the group. I went into menopause with my hysterectomy. Have been trying to lose 20 lbs but gets very frustrating down 2 up 1. Always staying in the same area but not really losing. Hoping to be in this group to hear others ideas and successes and to get some support on my weight loss journey
  • godsown1961
    godsown1961 Posts: 6 Member
    Welcome Gayle. I'm not on very much but going to more often. I was on Spark People and forgot MFP. 2 sites wasn't necessary so I'm back here. Let's do this ladies.
  • susieque25
    susieque25 Posts: 11 Member
    Welcome Gayle. I'm just getting back on a program and looking forward to chatting with everyone for support.
  • adelgrenfam
    adelgrenfam Posts: 2 Member
    I'm also brand-new to MFP. At 58 years old, I'm def post menopausal! I'm looking for any kind of help/support with toning and strengthening, as well as shedding the extra 15-20 pounds that have crept on over the past few years. I want my "golden years" to be as active and healthy as possible, and that means changing some pretty deeply ingrained habits. Looking forward to sharing with you ladies :)
  • aamundsoncpa
    aamundsoncpa Posts: 77 Member
    At 48, I'm still perimenopausal but have been struggling with my weight the past couple of years. I thought I was eating well enough, staying under my calories goal most days, and I was getting 10K steps in most days walking our dogs. Just after Labor Day, I decided to eliminate added sugar, caffeine, alcohol and processed foods to try and shrink my fibroids naturally. As a result, I've lost about 15 pounds to date. I have 10 more to go and feel it's totally possible keeping to this healthier diet the best I can. I do cheat on occasion - since the beginning of October I started enjoying a weekly Pumpkin Spice Chai tea and I plan to enjoy a slice of pecan pie at Thanksgiving.

So it seems the elimination diet has worked well for me. Very little issues (so far) with my fibroids and peri symptoms, losing weight, and having energy to increase my workouts. Also getting involved with both MFP and Weight Watchers communities online are giving me the support I need to keep at it. The first week without those foods was a killer, but it's been worth it. I don't know if a diet change like that would help anyone else - just thought I'd mention it worked for me!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    At 48, I'm still perimenopausal but have been struggling with my weight the past couple of years. I thought I was eating well enough, staying under my calories goal most days, and I was getting 10K steps in most days walking our dogs. Just after Labor Day, I decided to eliminate added sugar, caffeine, alcohol and processed foods to try and shrink my fibroids naturally. As a result, I've lost about 15 pounds to date. I have 10 more to go and feel it's totally possible keeping to this healthier diet the best I can. I do cheat on occasion - since the beginning of October I started enjoying a weekly Pumpkin Spice Chai tea and I plan to enjoy a slice of pecan pie at Thanksgiving.

So it seems the elimination diet has worked well for me. Very little issues (so far) with my fibroids and peri symptoms, losing weight, and having energy to increase my workouts. Also getting involved with both MFP and Weight Watchers communities online are giving me the support I need to keep at it. The first week without those foods was a killer, but it's been worth it. I don't know if a diet change like that would help anyone else - just thought I'd mention it worked for me!

Well done!
    I try to limit heavily refined carbs (and added sugars). I've more or less been able to maintain my weight through menopause (+-5). I haven't given up wine... but have cut that back to days starting with W (Wednesday, weekend).
    Do you know if your fibroids have shrunk?
    My OB seems confident that once menopause has happened, and estrogen levels decrease, they will shrink. I haven't had mine looked at in a while. They were relatively small, but of course, I want them gone.
  • aamundsoncpa
    aamundsoncpa Posts: 77 Member
    My OB seems confident that once menopause has happened, and estrogen levels decrease, they will shrink. I haven't had mine looked at in a while. They were relatively small, but of course, I want them gone.
    I don't know if they are shrinking at all but I don't seem to be having any issues related to them since I started this diet and lost weight. I'm sure my doctor will recommend another ultrasound next year when I have my annual exam. I'm counting on them shrinking when I do officially reach menopause!

• Sabine_Stroehm
    I don't know if they are shrinking at all but I don't seem to be having any issues related to them since I started this diet and lost weight. I'm sure my doctor will recommend another ultrasound next year when I have my annual exam. I'm counting on them shrinking when I do officially reach menopause!

Fingers crossed!
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    I haven't given up wine... but have cut that back to days starting with W (Wednesday, weekend).

I love this days that start with W! This is when we have wine at my house too!

• Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2015
    I haven't given up wine... but have cut that back to days starting with W (Wednesday, weekend).

I love this days that start with W! This is when we have wine at my house too!

It's the perfect compromise. :smile:
    And today is one of those days!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    This evening, (Thursday) I am going to pretend it is a "W" day! Wthursday! Like, the "w" is silent!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    tigerblue wrote: »
    This evening, (Thursday) I am going to pretend it is a "W" day! Wthursday! Like, the "w" is silent!

I love it! I had a pretend W day as well!