Going Off the Meds……

Options

Help!!! I am having to completely stop my Metformin ER after 4 months due to BIG D distress!! I thought this was going to be the magic pill for me , since I couldn’t take the reg. Metformin, without having to run to the loo within 30 minutes of eating… so it was a miracle when I could take ER with only occasional distress…but in the last 3 weeks or so it has been a daily, multiple- trip- kinda’ thing…
My AIC was down from 8.1 to 7.3 last checkup. I tend to have extremely high wake up numbers……….. 180 , 167…etc. I thought it might be from over eating and too many carbs& sweets so……
I am doing the LCHF to help counter carbs, sweets being the issue… someone in a post either on here or LCHF had mentioned that too many carbs, sweets could do that. So I am trying to limit the carbs to 50 to 100. I am exercising HIIT for two 15 minute sets on Breaks at work…
Has anyone had this experience, or know of anything I could do differently?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give !
Gail

Replies

• winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I had to eliminate milk and all dairy from my diet at the beginning as it seemed to trigger the episodes. After it all calmed down and the body got used to the medication I gradually introduced it back in with sucess. I am lactose intolerant so the metformin seemed to make it worse. I now have the opposite effect with metformin and can pretty much eat any milk products now with absolutely no problems, but I was told by my health provider that I am not typical. My mother on the other hand could not take any metformin at all and was given another diabetic drug that helped her sugars. I really hope you are able to find some relief as the side effects are terrible. Also I wanted to point out...make sure you cut all artificial sweeteners out of your diet to begin with as they can cause similar effect! I hope this helps!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Winnie141. I had eliminated milk...no lactose issues, though , when I do drink it. I will look at my Reddi whip cream...it could be the culprit with the artificial sugars.
  • kalenawald
    kalenawald Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just now saw this discussion, and wanted to respond. Have you tried changing the timing of when you take the Metformin ER? It sounds weird, but my D-episodes are dependent on exactly when I take my Metformin ER. If I take it literally while I am in the middle of eating a meal or right before I eat (within minutes), I am fine. But if I take it AFTER I eat (even just a few minutes after), or God forbid - without a meal at all, or hours after a meal - I am in BIG TROUBLE. Maybe it's my imagination, but that's how it seems to go. I'm not lactose intolerant, although my milk intake is minimal just because of my dieting. I do use artificial sweeteners, but not daily.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Help!!! I am having to completely stop my Metformin ER after 4 months due to BIG D distress!! I thought this was going to be the magic pill for me , since I couldn’t take the reg. Metformin, without having to run to the loo within 30 minutes of eating… so it was a miracle when I could take ER with only occasional distress…but in the last 3 weeks or so it has been a daily, multiple- trip- kinda’ thing…
    My AIC was down from 8.1 to 7.3 last checkup. I tend to have extremely high wake up numbers……….. 180 , 167…etc. I thought it might be from over eating and too many carbs& sweets so……
    I am doing the LCHF to help counter carbs, sweets being the issue… someone in a post either on here or LCHF had mentioned that too many carbs, sweets could do that. So I am trying to limit the carbs to 50 to 100. I am exercising HIIT for two 15 minute sets on Breaks at work…
    Has anyone had this experience, or know of anything I could do differently?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give !
    Gail

Yoo hoo! Have you gotten your friends (BG and Big D) under control?