LCHF for "Dummies"

Options

Replies

• deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    sbom1 wrote: »
    Typo I think in the OP:
    "The ONLY "math" involved is adding protein and fat grams (from the label) dividing fat grams by the sum to arrive at what he calls the "fat burning ratio"."

I believe it's adding protein and carb grams, not protein and fat.
    Sbom;

You are absolutely correct - good catch! (and sorry for the mistake which I'm sure is confusing to those reading attentively - MY BAD)

FAT (grams) / (divided by the SUM of proteins + carbs (both in grams as well)
    100g F / (80g P + 20g C)
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks for correcting the ratio
    math, DD and sbom!

'Grass seeds, such as barley, wheat,
    rye and corn are bird feed.
    Let the birds fatten up on bird food,
    then we can eat the birds.
    The same reasoning can be applied
    to cows.'
    ~Sten Sture Skaldeman, 'The Low
    Carb High Fat Cookbook'

As quoted from:
    'The Little Red Book of Kitchen Wisdom'
    By Nicole Frail, Matthew Magda
    Preview at GoogleBooks:
    http://tinyurl.com/ndvhcx6
  • dinobomp
    dinobomp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm probably not putting this in the right place, but wanted to ask you all to friend me so I can keep up with this way of eating. My son who is 37 lost over 100# in 2014 with this diet. He also began running, but some of us are not able to do that. Atkins works for me, but I have kidney disease and can't eat that much protein. So I would like to try the LCHF way since it worked for him. He even put coconut oil into his coffee! Thanks for your help.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Thank you Dragonwolf. UGH it i so hard to break the mind set of low fat. I have been doing low fat for so long that eating it now makes me feel so sick. I will keep trying. AT least I am keeping my carbs fairly low. Now I must google a cream cheese cloud. I have read about the bullet proof coffee. I do have the coconut oil. I did not get the mct oil yet.

When I was on Atkins before it was all about the low carbs. I do not remember eating s much fat. Giving up is not an option. Tomorrow is another day. It is just so hard to keep the fat high and calories within reason. I was trying to stay about 1200 but maybe I need to give that up. I did raise my calorie here to 1400 because it made me mad when I went over 1200.

Thank you so much.

I know what you mean - I find it so hard to eat the fat on meat. My husband made me a rib eye steak the other day but I had to spit out the fat (sorry to be gross), I think mainly because he had not cooked it enough (we eat our steak quite rare) and I couldn't manage it. I don't struggle with eating dairy though. If you like olives, they can add a good bit of fat to a meal, though also a lot of salt which can get a bit much. Oily fish like tinned mackerel? Coconut cream to curries etc? Good luck!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thank you Dragonwolf. UGH it i so hard to break the mind set of low fat. I have been doing low fat for so long that eating it now makes me feel so sick. I will keep trying. AT least I am keeping my carbs fairly low. Now I must google a cream cheese cloud. I have read about the bullet proof coffee. I do have the coconut oil. I did not get the mct oil yet.

When I was on Atkins before it was all about the low carbs. I do not remember eating s much fat. Giving up is not an option. Tomorrow is another day. It is just so hard to keep the fat high and calories within reason. I was trying to stay about 1200 but maybe I need to give that up. I did raise my calorie here to 1400 because it made me mad when I went over 1200.

Thank you so much.

I know what you mean - I find it so hard to eat the fat on meat. My husband made me a rib eye steak the other day but I had to spit out the fat (sorry to be gross), I think mainly because he had not cooked it enough (we eat our steak quite rare) and I couldn't manage it. I don't struggle with eating dairy though. If you like olives, they can add a good bit of fat to a meal, though also a lot of salt which can get a bit much. Oily fish like tinned mackerel? Coconut cream to curries etc? Good luck!

What I've started doing with meat fat is to try to cut pieces that are half meat and half fat. Smaller pieces seem to, in general, work better, too. I'll also chew on a piece for a little bit if I'm eating a cut that has big pieces. Sometimes I can completely eat it, other times I have to spit it out, because I can't swallow it. That way, it gets me used to eating the fat, and gets me some fat, but I don't have to try to choke it down or something.

The kind of animal makes a difference, too. It may have to do with general exposure (ie - growing up with bacon makes pork fat easier to eat), but some seem to be more rich than others. For example, I can eat butter straight pretty much all day long. Pork fat is a close second, while beef and lamb fat are a bit too rich to do that much, especially when it's strips of fat on a cut.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    KarenZen wrote: »
    One question, and maybe this is something discussed before, but I'm a newbie: to what extent do you all think genetics/ancestry plays a role in how well a person's body responds to LCHF living?
    K in Maine

Swedish-Eskimo here! :-) I'm completely convinced (and have been for years) that our genetic makeup/ancestry plays a huge role in finding the correct combination of foods to eat. Not that I have a hankering for seal blubber or will any time soon, but I definitely gravitate toward and perform best on a diet that would replicate macros that would be available to either of these cultures in abundance. I also like to look at what foods are available in season and will include more of these if they represent what would be naturally found when "gathering," ie: more berries and veggies in summer/fall, not so much in the winter/spring months.

This is mostly because it seems obvious to me that this would be how we'd eat if we didn't have a major grocery store providing us food from all over the planet whenever we wanted it. I don't think that an overwhelming array of choices in foodstuffs is necessarily preferable or even good for most of us...

• ohioborn56
    ohioborn56 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I want to know how many net carbs,protein and fat I should be eating..I am 68 yr.old female,somewhat sedentary,what percentages should I be eating...??
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Sajyana wrote: »
    his Type II diabetes had developed into Type I (insulin dependent) diabetes.

In the spirit of Diabetes Awareness Month and today being Blue Friday, I just wanted to say that T2D never progresses into T1D. Becoming insulin dependent doesn't change the disease, just the way it's managed. They are completely different diseases with a commonality of different insulin availability problems.
    mw04trsqsaqh.jpeg
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    ohioborn56 wrote: »
    I want to know how many net carbs,protein and fat I should be eating..I am 68 yr.old female,somewhat sedentary,what percentages should I be eating...??

Try one of these calculators out.
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
    http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/

They will both automatically set you at 20g total carbs. You can change that to what you want and recalculate. The carb total is your choice. Pick one number and try it for a few weeks and make adjustments as needed based on how you feel.
    Protein will be suggested based on your estimated lean body mass and activity level.
    Fat will be whatever calories you have left.
    The calorie goal it gives will be based on a standard 20% deficit I think, but you can adjust that to your liking as well.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Yup, play with the calculators Sunny_bunny provided.
    My key concerns have been getting the carbs down to around 20g.
    Keeping the sodium, potassium, magnesium, and proteins in the ballpark.
    I include fat to satiety and if I'm looking for an energy boost -- not necessarily to hit a set number.
    Experiment weekly, re-evaluate as needed.
  • ohioborn56
    ohioborn56 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thanks sunny bunny and slimzandra, I will check those out.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if I missed it, but what is the title of this book?
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    I'm sorry if I missed it, but what is the title of this book?

@moe, here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/Lose-Weight-Eating-Sture-Skaldeman-ebook/dp/B007KTDD12/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
  • jlwoodmass
    jlwoodmass Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this. I bought the book and I completely understand LCHF a whole lot better. I have a hard time sticking to something if I can't understand the reasonings and the 'how it works' components behind it. But this easily explains it and has allowed me to start an actual really low carb (20g or less) diet and have stuck with it for two weeks now. And I haven't had any problems with temptations as of yet.
  • bugga814
    bugga814 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am so confused
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    bugga814 wrote: »
    I am so confused

@bugga814 About what, specifically?
    If you are looking or a simple overview of LCHF or clarification of something specific I can do that for you. :smile: Just give me more details so I can give you the best answers.
  • bugga814
    Options
    I don't understand the balance of calories protein fat and carbs I set carbs at 25 % not getting enough calories but I feel great
  • bugga814
    Options
    Only on day 6 still low on calories
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals for your way of eating.

Keto is *usually* 5% carbs. 20% protein. 75% fat.

Low carb is usually any combo with fewer than 50% of carbs, which is what the standard American diet is. Honestly, I think focusing on grams of each macro is easier than percentages. It's so hard to balance percentages in my mind

FWIW, I only rarely reach my calories. Or my fat calories.
  • bugga814
    Options
    I seem to go over at everything according to the My Fitness Pal food tracker