Mod Post: Go Public or Stay Private?

Options

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Stay private; let the main forum fester in it's own sewage.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I'm torn, but my vote is Private.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I don't see any reason for a change.
    I'm a likin it here. :)

>:) or o:)
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Would definitely prefer to stay private.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    We have nothing to hide, but I prefer to keep it private. People who really want to be here can still find us.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    It's easy to join, and staying private is one small, but seemingly effective, filter for trolls. Therefore, I vote to stay private.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I feel very torn also. One thought enters my head and I'm thinking "No way! Private is great!" Then I remember that the group was no different 6.5 months ago, when I was new, than it is now and I'm thinking "Well, then it doesn't matter."
    I think the real risk to the group is within our own words more than any that some troll may say. We don't want any accidental negative comment about any experience in a main forum to cause us to be forced to lose the group. And regardless of reminders, something that isn't meant to be offensive seems to slip in sometimes and it could easily be used against us. Particularly since some of us may have a few non-fans out there... Ahem... :)
    The risk to us as individuals is both within the trolling comments that can cause an emotional response that even the strongest of us can be affected by, and within the risk of completely losing all support the group provides if something terrible were to happen and we lose each other because of accidental negativity.
    I'm really on the fence because I want people to find us easily, that seems to be inconsistent from what others have said. And the inclusion in search would be great. But I also don't want anyone to feel like they can't speak freely. The only censoring we should ever have to do beyond our normal polite speak is of our opinions about other forums. If we are concerned about rude opposition, it can be intimidating to participate at all.
    Could there be an option to try out being public for a month then do another survey to see if the change made a difference to anyone in a negative way? Just thinking out loud here...
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    phxteach wrote: »
    Like the above poster, I found this forum by looking for low carb on the group search. It was private when I joined and prefer to keep so.
    . I agree. I didn't have any issues finding the group and I just asked to join :) there are quite a few very icky people on mfp.

• fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Private - this is the best support group on MFP
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Risk versus reward. If the risk is that one of us says something stupid, perhaps in response to something stupid, and we lose the group, the risk is too high. My vote is private. If we can go public without this risk on the first offense, (seems we had that before I joined) or subsequent offense, then public. But I think private is safer. Would hate to lose the group.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Private..there are some posters in the main forum. people with 3798 posts or more..the uber buff male 20 something 'shirtless wonders" mostly, who go on and on about CICO, and other nonsense…they seem to search out and comment on as many posts as possible..really annoying…and keep on the argument..

they can clutter up replies and bog down the topic..so I vote for Private… Remember there are HUGE LC sites off of MFP run by Adkins and others..( I know of 2 well established ones) so there are options for this who do not find this group right away.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If members can find this group while it's private, then I don't see the point in making it public. For the same reasons everyone else has stated.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I vote Private for the many good reasons given.

We can mention this forum to others directly or indirectly.

There now are even long running LCHF threads in the general forums that last for a few day without bullies showing up. I notice others are going there and trying to help answer LCHF question in a non attacking way. Some are going to 'flame' even if you wish someone a nice day. :)

MFP is a much more professional/helpful forum than a year ago.

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I believe that private has worked very well.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I see both sides. If the group can be located and joined relatively easily, then I lean on the side of private, simply for the risk factors. Having been here probably 10 months, there is no difference in the before and after privatization. I just want to make sure we're still accessible.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be preyed on, jumped on, trolled on, or ridiculed. My agenda here is to lose weight in a supportive atmosphere. And that is what I've found here, on this forum.

Private.
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My vote is private as well. There is so much information available on the net i had already made my decision about this WOE before I joined the group. This is such a supportive environment that I would hate to jeopardize it by allowing people to join who have no real interest. I've fine tuned my knowledge regarding LC from what I learned here. I really like the caring and concern about our progress as we work through the issues that got us here in the first place.

I know that we are not to bash the main forums so I won't but I will say that they don't fit me personally.
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I prefer to keep it private. I really appreciate the fact that this group is devoid of so much of the nonsense of the main forums. This is such a positive and supportive group. I'd like to see it stay that way.

I'm actually a long term MFP user. I've been using MFP almost since the beginning in 2005. I've deleted my account several times . . . always due to my frustrations with the main forums. But, Garmin Connect and Training Peaks sync nutritional information from MFP, so I always come back to make nutritional synching easier.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    And regardless of reminders, something that isn't meant to be offensive seems to slip in sometimes and it could easily be used against us. Particularly since some of us may have a few non-fans out there... Ahem... :)

I didn't think of this! I have a couple of non-fans who have misquoted (IMO) what I wrote months ago. That could be a small possibility in my case... Using my words here to discredit this WOE. Sorry. :(
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I think it should be public. This group has a lot of valuable information for people considering LCHF, I think we should make it open to anyone seeking that information. I lurked here before I joined, and I think it would be beneficial for others to be able to do the same.
This discussion has been closed.