Should I lower my carb intake?

tonic47
tonic47 Posts: 11 Member
I am an older female(68) and have been eating LCHF for almost 2.5 years. I've lost about 60 pounds, but I have about 30 more to go and I'm stuck!! Not much movement for several months at less than 20 carbs net and around 1300 calories. Should I lower my carbs to 5-10? or will that make any difference? Or should I lower my calories? (Don't really want to do that). I'm 5'8" and 194 lbs. I'm just so frustrated!!!

Replies

• daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Hmmm, good question. 20g net carbs is pretty low already as is the 1300 calorie intake. I can't really see that going much lower would have a significant impact. You might try changing things up a bit and experimenting. Perhaps your body has become accustomed to your current eating habits and a change might flip the switch. If possible you might try increasing your exercise level in order to burn more calories. I would suggest that whatever you do try to make just one change at a time; otherwise, it is difficult to know which specific change had an impact. Good luck!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited November 2015
    What's your artificial sweetener use like? Some people find that at different volumes, it can have an impact.
    Also, you mention net carbs... Is it only fiber that you subtract or sugar alcohols too? That's another possible answer if so.
    Just ideas to consider. These things don't seem to affect everyone the same. But it's common enough to consider.
    And of course, there's calories... Maybe start tracking and weighing if you haven't been.
  • tonic47
    tonic47 Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks for your responses. I just subtract fiber, since I rarely eat anything with sugar alcohols. I use liquid stevia in my coffee.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Congrats on your weight loss so far!

Stalls are the Great Mystery of the weight loss world.

I'd be surprised if anybody would recommend lower carbs or lower calories for you.

More exercise? Less exercise? Less stress? Less protein? Intermittent fasting? More calories? More carbs? Less dairy? Dump the Stevia?

Mysteries will keep you guessing. Experiment and let us know what worked for you!
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Are you sure you're logging correctly? With a scale? Including all oils you cook with? Every little taste or bite you have of something?

I'd say that you either need to tighten up your logging, or you need to cut your calories. You appear to be eating at maintenance. If you cut calories further, I'd recommend that you run it past your physician first, though. Your calories are quite low already.

I'm actually opposed to increasing activity to lose the additional pounds. If you don't keep up that same activity level you'll just gain the weight back if you drop back to your regular activity level. Any increases to your activity level should be something you're ready to commit to for life (imo).
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    edited November 2015
    If you think a bit more about why you want to lose weight and then imagine how you will feel and how others will react to you when you achieve your goal you are adding desire and imagination to the mix. These are positive forms of motivation. There are many ways to get there. Try a few.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    For me, and this is completely anecdotal and not backed up by any science, I find if I give my body a break it seems ready to get back to weight loss when it is over.

In late September and early October my losses were slowing and I was getting some dieting fatigue. I stayed low carb but my carbs went up into to the 30-50g zone. I thought I was in ketosis but I had slipped out of it, or it was very weak.

Anyways, instead of eating 1500 calories per day, I was eating well over 2000 calories per day, often up to 2500. I didn't lose more than a pound (at the most) in that month.

A week or two ago, I started some fat fasts for a couple of days (<600calories per day in fat only) and used intermittant fasting somewhere between 18:6 and 22:2 on most days. I was back to 1400-1500 calories per day except on fat fast days.

It think my body just needed that break because I have lost 5 lbs in less than 2 weeks so I am only 10lbs above goal now (140 lbs at 5'8", aged 42). I'm sure some it water weight, but I don't care. I dropped to 150.0 from bouncing between 155-156 for weeks. :)

I noticed this happened a few years ago too when I was losing weight (on a lower carb "clean" diet). If I splurged for a day or two - nothing excessive but at or above maintenance - I would lose a few pounds when I started up again. A "whoosh".

It happens fairly consistently for me, and I have no idea why. It could be something to consider. A break (more calories, more carbs, or less exercise) for a few days and then start again, perhaps even a bit harder than before for a few days with fewer carbs, calories, fasting or IF.

Good luck!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,382 Member
    If you are positive you are tracking your calories right, and using good entries from the database, then you may need to explore medical issues, because at your height and weight, 1300 calories should let you lose at least a lb/week.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Try calorie cycling for a bit. Eater lower a few days of the week and a bit higher on the other days. For example on Saturdays I often eat 2000 calories, coz life, but then during the week I'll have several days where I'm a couple of hundred under my target. I think there's alot to be said for mixing it up a bit, especially if you've been restricted for 2 and a half years, your body does learn to adjust to a set amount of energy intake. If this amount is the same every day, your body is very good at accepting this as the new normal and holding on to your current weight. You could also try eating more for a week or two and then dropping the cals back down.
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Interesting thread. It confirms my decision to take a break until after the 1st of the year before lowering carbs again. Lost 35 lbs relatively easy with lchf, then a stall...decided that the stall was a sign to relax. I'm still watching and logging, but not obsessed, since I view this woe as my new way of life.