Charge HR now creating "Walk" exercise entries

Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
edited November 2015 in Social Groups
For the past two days my Fitbit Charge HR has been doing something new.

When I go for a walk, it creates a new "Walk" exercise entry in Fitbit without me pressing any buttons on my Fitbit or phone app.

It's not really a problem. I just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else wanted to comment on the feature.

Replies

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
  • I love it! Why doesn't it add the activity to MFP though? :(
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    I love it! I usually push the button when we go for an "exercise" walk, but I just did an hour on the treadmill without pushing the button, and it logged a walk for me.
  • NancyN795
    I love it! Why doesn't it add the activity to MFP though? :(

Because Fitbit doesn't do that. In terms of activity, it only sends steps and total calories burned to MFP. If you want a post on your feed about your workout, then do it manually. Such as the one I posted earlier today: "Did C25k Week 4 Day 2. Max HR 148, Avg HR 125, Distance 1.91 mile."
  • bigkahuna1950
    bigkahuna1950 Posts: 490 Member
    I have been able to get my workouts posted to MFP via MapMyFitness. Fitbit and MMF will trade info, and then MMF post directly to MFP & fitbit. I've been using that for sometime now. I just wish MMF would pick up threadmill walks. I'm going to hate to go inside and not log workouts on MMF once it gets too cold or raining.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Pawsforme wrote: »

Thanks for the link!
  • NancyN795
    I have been able to get my workouts posted to MFP via MapMyFitness. Fitbit and MMF will trade info, and then MMF post directly to MFP & fitbit. I've been using that for sometime now. I just wish MMF would pick up threadmill walks. I'm going to hate to go inside and not log workouts on MMF once it gets too cold or raining.

I log my treadmill workouts in MMF. Mainly because I am "friends" with my mom and sister on MMF, and they're not on Fitbit or MFP. It's both for accountability and motivation (mine and theirs). They'll notice if I'm not logging exercise. I do it either manually or by wearing my chest strap HRM, which I can then upload to to MMF.

I am a bit confused, though. I have Fitbit linked to MMF, but none of the workouts I log in Fitbit show up on MMF. I'm not sure what info they trade, to be honest. I don't have MMF linked to MFP because I don't want exercise logged in MFP. I don't like it overwriting my Fitbit data. So, I'm wondering how you got Fitbit to tell MMF about your workouts.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Loving it! I tend to use the stop watch for other purposes, aka making sure I don't go over my breaks at work, so it logging my actual exercise times saves me a lot of hassle.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    NancyN795 wrote: »

I log my treadmill workouts in MMF. Mainly because I am "friends" with my mom and sister on MMF, and they're not on Fitbit or MFP. It's both for accountability and motivation (mine and theirs). They'll notice if I'm not logging exercise. I do it either manually or by wearing my chest strap HRM, which I can then upload to to MMF.

I am a bit confused, though. I have Fitbit linked to MMF, but none of the workouts I log in Fitbit show up on MMF. I'm not sure what info they trade, to be honest. I don't have MMF linked to MFP because I don't want exercise logged in MFP. I don't like it overwriting my Fitbit data. So, I'm wondering how you got Fitbit to tell MMF about your workouts.

You can't manually log the workout in MMF first (or at least weren't able to if that's changed) - it must come from Fitbit because of the sync there.

Then when MMF syncs the info to MFP (as a simple workout), and MFP back to Fitbit - it's the same calorie info (if no errors in those 2 syncs anyway - and that may be asking a lot now) - so replace with what was already there.
    Since Fitbit sees no change to the Activity Record that was created - it's doesn't start another round of syncs to MMF. At least, it shouldn't.

Now - since it's calorie replacement from a synced in workout on Fitbit, you should have an adjusted Active minutes based on the total average of that chunk of time, instead of individual minutes.
  • NancyN795
    heybales wrote: »
    Now - since it's calorie replacement from a synced in workout on Fitbit, you should have an adjusted Active minutes based on the total average of that chunk of time, instead of individual minutes.

Which is why I don't let MapMyFitness link to MyFitnessPal. I do have MMF linked to Fitbit, but I can't tell that the connection actually does anything. It's not a big deal because my reasons for using MMF are separate from why I use Fitbit and MFP.
  • Sephixteeo
    Sephixteeo Posts: 75 Member
    I just came on to see if this was happening to anyone else. :) oddly seeing biking and elliptical in my exercise log prompted me to check it out. It is interesting to see. I don't use the timer method so I can preserve the battery life of my charge. Thanks for the info!
  • heybales
    heybales wrote: »

Which is why I don't let MapMyFitness link to MyFitnessPal. I do have MMF linked to Fitbit, but I can't tell that the connection actually does anything. It's not a big deal because my reasons for using MMF are separate from why I use Fitbit and MFP.

I thought the Activity Records went to MMF - as sort of a better place to deal with exercise records than what Fitbit has available.

Then in MMF you could add details, like GPS route to record.
    Though I'd be curious what happens if you correct the record in MMF for say distance or calorie burn - if it comes back over to Fitbit and does exactly what you are concerned with.

I may have to bring back my MMR account - they keep reminding me to get some exercise since they think by last bike ride was several years ago.
  • heybales
    Sephixteeo wrote: »
    I just came on to see if this was happening to anyone else. :) oddly seeing biking and elliptical in my exercise log prompted me to check it out. It is interesting to see. I don't use the timer method so I can preserve the battery life of my charge. Thanks for the info!

Wow, biking, that's brave of them with wrist based units to attempt to see that.

Was elliptical done while holding the moving arms, or the stationary arms - if your machine has both options?

I'm wondering if biking is assumed cardio if few if any steps are seen but HR is higher.

Wonder what happens if lifting then.
  • NancyN795

I turned off the ability to sense biking or elliptical because I don't do those. I think someone posted that it mistook gardening as an elliptical workout.

I'm a little disenchanted with the feature since it seems to not display the distance when using auto-detect, even if the activity was detected as either walking or running (I'm okay with no distance for an aerobic workout). So, I'll probably continue pushing the button when I want to get distance from a workout.
  • Sephixteeo
    Lifting doesn't seem to actually register for me. I do stronglifts a few times a week :( I do have a rebounder I jump on, but usually running around the house or jogging in place to keep moving. I can't tell for certain what I was doing, since it was more than a few days ago.

Biking threw me, too... I may mess around this week and make a note of it to see if it pops up again.
  • Sephixteeo

I turned off the ability to sense biking or elliptical because I don't do those. I think someone posted that it mistook gardening as an elliptical workout.

I'm a little disenchanted with the feature since it seems to not display the distance when using auto-detect, even if the activity was detected as either walking or running (I'm okay with no distance for an aerobic workout). So, I'll probably continue pushing the button when I want to get distance from a workout.

Maybe gardening was it... Or raking, in particular. Lots of that happening. :)
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    I thought the "walk" activity was MMF feeding back into FitBit?

I use MMF when I walk the dogs to get an accurate distance since my arms don't move in a natural motion holding leashes. The "walk" activity ONLY shows up when I've used MMF.

How would FitBit differentiate between normal walking around the mall and walking the dogs?
  • NancyN795
    Nope, the "walk" activity is not from MMF. Since I learned about this feature I've experimented and it has automatically logged a walk when I have not used MMF (I was just walking on the treadmill, to get my steps in on an otherwise relatively inactive day).

I use MMF to log my walks all the time, because I like to see the map and I like the feedback during the walk. It never seems to send data to Fitbit, whether I used Exercise mode on the Fitbit or not. (The mapping function in the Fitbit app does not work properly for me. I don't understand why because they both use the phone's GPS, but the Fitbit one jumps all over the place.)

Fitbit doesn't use your arm's "natural motion" (i.e. swinging) to detect steps. It has to actually filter out the arm swing in order to see the acceleration generated by the impact of your foot hitting the ground. Pushing a shopping cart or stroller will cause steps to be missed, because your wrist is fixed in space by the handle, which is rigidly attached to the wheels, which "insulates" it from the impacts of your feet. But, a dog leash shouldn't be a big problem.

I'm not sure Fitbit would differentiate between normal walking around the mall and walking the dogs. Your pace/step regularity might differ depending on the dog (my mom's dog stops a lot when we take him for a walk) and whether you're walking the mall to exercise or to window shop, but they're both walking. If you're window shopping or have a dog like my mom's (i.e stopping frequently) then Fitbit might not automatically log the walk.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    I've had to change my settings to only count "walk" activities for longer than 30 minutes. It was getting to the point where it was creating a "walk" every time I was walking to the subway, for instance. I don't need to see a dozen activities per day every time I go anywhere.
  • heybales
    So does it have option to disable this auto-activity feature?

Or just that ability to set min time it must be seen?