We don't serve pork!

moonius
moonius Posts: 663 Member
My wife and I were in St. Louis yesterday and went out for breakfast. There wasn't much to choose from so we decided to went to this place called The Golden Pancake. I ordered the breakfast sampler which had eggs, bacon, ham and sausage. When our food arrived I looked at the flaccid bacon and asked the server, "Is this turkey bacon?" She replied, "Oh yes, all our meats are made with turkey. We don't serve any pork. Didn't you see that on the menu?" To which I said with a smile, "But I like pork!"

Since when does a breakfast restaurant not serve pork? Thank God we ate at Cracker Barrel in Columbia, MO today where they proudly serve bacon, sausage and ham made from pork!

Replies

• daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    They should close that place! LOL!
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    daylitemag wrote: »
    They should close that place! LOL!

Definitely should. I have a daughter who is allergic to poultry - guess she'd have to starve there. Sort of like serving everything cooled in peanut oil - anyone allergic to peanut oil would be in a heap of trouble.
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    edited November 2015
    @moonius: Since when does a breakfast restaurant not serve pork?

Had to laugh at this one! :D

Especially since that is ALL I ate today!
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    WHAT???!!! REALLY????!!!!! A TRAVESTY!!!!!
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Maybe I'm just a naive Canadian . . . maybe my vision of St. Louis is romanticized . . . but how on Earth does a breakfast joint in St. Louis not serve real bacon??? :o
  • moonius
    Weirdest thing I ever heard of!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I like bacon, but I'm not crazy about it. Not serving pork wouldn't bother me.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,423 Member
    I like prok too...turkey bacon is blech!! :)
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,423 Member
    **pork** stupid iPad wouldn't let me edit
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    It wouldn't be too late for me to cancel my order and leave. I hate turkey bacon and sausage. I couldn't eat that crap.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Was it in a muslim area of town and serving halal meats? We have some strong muslim communities in my city where that wouldn't be too surprising.
  • moonius
    Could have been. I wondered about that.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Anti-American not to have real bacon,and sausage.
  • nvmomketo
    I don't know about that, course the again i am canadian. ;) One of my kids' best friends is a Lebanese Chinese Muslim. Lovely family. It's just tricky to have them over for a BBQ because I am not well versed in halal foods, and then my kids need to eat gluten and tree nut free.... We tend to do potluck s when we get together! LOL ;)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    I would assume it either a Muslim or Jewish establishment. It would be odd to not serve pork for any other reason. I would be curious to know if it was for another reason, though it's clear it's not a vegetarian or vegan place so I don't know why else they would not serve pork.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    I would assume it either a Muslim or Jewish establishment. It would be odd to not serve pork for any other reason. I would be curious to know if it was for another reason, though it's clear it's not a vegetarian or vegan place so I don't know why else they would not serve pork.

That was my first and last thought as to why.

• Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited November 2015
    A lot of food chains have been pressured to make changes by residents in the area. I thank some MacDonnalds got sued for having beef fat to cook french fries that they said were vegetarian. Stupid that a customer could consider any food in MacDonalds to be vegetarian.

A Jewish pizza restaurant would not serve pepperoni and cheese pizza, but the menu would state the pepperoni was vegetarian.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Turkey "bacon" isn't a thing. People pretend it's a thing and someone once tried to get me to eat that thing, but it's not a thing. I refuse to believe it and nobody can make me!
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I don't know about that, course the again i am canadian. ;) One of my kids' best friends is a Lebanese Chinese Muslim. Lovely family. It's just tricky to have them over for a BBQ because I am not well versed in halal foods, and then my kids need to eat gluten and tree nut free.... We tend to do potluck s when we get together! LOL ;)

Superstore in Calgary has some wonderful Halal whole chickens in the frozen section. Maybe Superstore where you live has them too? Hubby bought them by accident once, and now they're my preferred chickens. They're really chubby (more meat on the bone than I'm used to seeing), and they're delish. I asked a Muslim Lebanese friend of mine about them, and they're her favourite, too.

You could do a beer-butt-bbq-chicken, minus the beer. ;)

"The Golden Pancake" has kind of a weird name for a halal place, doesn't it?
  • nvmomketo
    norcogrrl wrote: »
    "The Golden Pancake" has kind of a weird name for a halal place, doesn't it?

LOL :D

Huh. I wonder if we frequent the same Superstore (off Sarcee)...
    I have bought Halal meats for the friend at a birthday party but I think preparation has something to do with it too. I should do more reading on it...

And funnily enough, my oldest PREFERS turkey bacon to regular bacon! I prefer the pork variety. Oh well, more for me. :)