Which protein powder? (low sugar & tasty)

Options
chatnel
chatnel Posts: 688 Member
Hi, looking for recommendations for protein for women that I can add to my morning smoothie for a breakfast meal replacement. Wanting something that tastes great but all low in sugar and carbs etc. Been having chia, pb2, coco milk but need it to be slightly more filling to last me until lunchtime.

Also is it better to buy online or in retail?

Replies

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I love Bare Blends - their dark chocolate one is delicious. It's a whey protein, no chemicals and is great in smoothies. I also use it for making protein balls and have it straight in water after gym. I have about 15g (1/2 a serve) but if you're using it as a breakfast replacement a 30g serve is 114 calories.

It's also low sugar and low carb considering that's what you're after. I went to check the nutritional info for you - it's on their website. http://bareblends.com.au/raw-dark-cacao-native-whey-protein-isolate
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    OK so first off there's no such thing as a protein powder 'for women'. Some market powders with pretty pink labels, but they're the same on the inside, they just usually cost more ;)

As for the best value/taste/quality, I go to two Australian suppliers - Professional Whey and Bulk Nutrients. No BS, better value than you'll find in any store too.

If you are looking for something for your morning smoothies, I'd suggest just going with a good vanilla WPC. WPI is going to cost more and spare you a couple of carbs but that's nothing in the scheme of things.

The vanilla from both places tastes good, a little stronger flavour from Bulk Nutrients but neither of them are foamy, thick and sickly sweet like most of the more commercial brands.
  • RoadtotheRAN
    RoadtotheRAN Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I use 180 nutrition one of the best out there.
  • chatnel
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions. I just put an order in for the Quest protein as the reviews seem quite good. Was also looking at the bare blends but seemed a little exy.
  • NowyTends
    NowyTends Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Bulk nutrients have a wide selection of good and cheap protein powders. I use some of their products but my go to powder is optimum nutrition gold standard whey (double rich choc)

I can use it in so many wheys :wink: the best of which is with my morning oats..
  • chatnel
    Options
    I got the Quest one (Vanilla) but I find it too sweet. Might go with bareblends when this runs out.
  • hayjessmum
    hayjessmum Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post....I am liking the look of thermowhey and wow they are much cheaper than I expected. Might try a burner while I'm there!!
  • maccarossi1
    maccarossi1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use Bulk Nutrients or Venom, both quality and from Australia with fast shipping and taste good :)
  • fi_b
    fi_b Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I can not recommend the healthy chef range highly enough! There are both WPI and Pea protein options, they are clean, you can understand the ingredients list, taste great and locally made :smiley:
    https://secure.thehealthychef.com/shop/
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Another bulk nutrients fan here. Very trustworthy and great prices. I've tried so many of there products. You can order a free sample from there website if there's something in paticular you'd like to try before you buy
  • vollans
    vollans Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My husband loves the Bulk Nutrients Coffee. I like the Vanilla but adding the strawberry flavour pack to it makes it like a gorgeous thick delicious naughty strawberry milkshake, not something good for you.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    The new salted caramel from bulk nutrients is the bomb. I mixed it with milk and it tasted like a caramel milkshake mmmmmm
  • hangaten
    hangaten Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great topic been looking myself but not fully understanding this supplements thing more reading to be done before commiting.
  • hangaten
    hangaten Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    The new salted caramel from bulk nutrients is the bomb. I mixed it with milk and it tasted like a caramel milkshake mmmmmm

I love the salted caramel ice cream from San Churro (probably why i'm here in the first place, might give this a try.
  • claired789
    claired789 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    fi_b wrote: »
    I can not recommend the healthy chef range highly enough! There are both WPI and Pea protein options, they are clean, you can understand the ingredients list, taste great and locally made :smiley:
    https://secure.thehealthychef.com/shop/

Yes I agree 100%!! Anything from The Healthy Chef is fantastic :) I also use Open To Play protein, only three ingredients (WPI, organic stevia and cocoa) and it's working well for me. Good luck!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My pics for macros and taste are:

Quest
    Bulk Nutrients
    Optimum nutrition
    Cyborg WPI
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    We went with Balance Pure WPI Protein.
  • noah_mac
    noah_mac Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Bulk Nutrients!
  • Arsenal1919
    Arsenal1919 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Isowhey has worked for my son-in-law. Great tastes (vanilla, chocolate, banana) ... can be mixed with water, milk or skim milk. S-I-L has lost 75kg from 208kg since January 23, 2015 up until Xmas Eve ... 11 months. He has one with milk (breakfast) and one with tap water (lunch) and a 600-700 calorie evening meal. He's 187cm tall and is back to a 105cm waist in less than a year.

I started on Isowhey for three lunch meals per week on weekdays ... I love the chocolate. I am doing intensive swimming (20+ hours per week and aiming to be under 2000 calories per day). This latest period has resulted in 10.4kg lost in nearly seven weeks.

I buy it from ChemistShop.Com.Au for 6kg for $138 delivered. (all orders over $99 shipped free).
  • noah_mac
    noah_mac Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Another for Bulk Nutrients- they are a Tassie company that do a variety of protein mixes. Cheap and delicious! Though I've only had chocolate and salted caramel :)