One Week Post-op

Options
Well I made it through the first week. I had a hiatal hernia repair done as well. Didn't know it was there but glad the surgeon found it and fixed it. I had an easy time in the hospital but had a few issues at home. Nausea, diarrhea, and getting the fluids down was a bear but it all seems to be working itself out. Reading all your current and older posts have really helped me when I needed it. Setting a timer for sips and trying some different protein has made a big difference. I still have a long way to go and I find comfort in knowing I have all this great experience to learn from. Thanks to all of you in this wonderful group!!!

Replies

• shaunacyh
    shaunacyh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 Tawny and it's still a pain to drink my liquids...lol but I'm doing it. Congratulations.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Lots of things got better for me after the first week. Now I can drink with no pain (yay!) and still a struggle to get all protein/fluids in but I make the effort everyday!
    I am glad things have smoothed out for you as well!
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    shaunacyh wrote: »
    I'm on week 3 Tawny and it's still a pain to drink my liquids...lol but I'm doing it. Congratulations.

That is the hardest thing but I've decided not to be so hard on myself and it seems easier. I think I was stressing myself out too much.
    Moe4572 wrote: »
    Lots of things got better for me after the first week. Now I can drink with no pain (yay!) and still a struggle to get all protein/fluids in but I make the effort everyday!
    I am glad things have smoothed out for you as well!

I am so glad things are going better for you. I have been thinking about you. Soon this will all be a faded memory for us and we can focus on the big picture.
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy for you! I agree about this group. I'd be lost without everyone sharing their experiences! Keep us updated on your progress!
  • Tawnykakers1
    Options
    Angie you have been such a inspiration for me. Being a week before me I followed just about everything you've posted. You have been so positive and it gets me in a better frame of mind. Thank you!
  • AngieViolet
    Options
    Aww Tawny, that means so much to me! I know how hard the struggle with weight is, and it is so personal and lonely. This decision doesn't come easy to any of us and is truly life changing. This group allows us to express our excitement and fears during and through this process. If any of my story is something that others can relate to or helps them in any way, I'm honored!
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Be sure to try your liquids at differing temperatures. I was much better drinking water/broths/etc warm as opposed to cold. some people have found the opposite to work.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Options
    anbrdr wrote: »
    Be sure to try your liquids at differing temperatures. I was much better drinking water/broths/etc warm as opposed to cold. some people have found the opposite to work.
    I'm so weird. Sometimes I want my fluids warm and then the next time I want ice in it. I just decided to go with what I'm craving at the time.

• bcedl1982
    bcedl1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for sharing-it is such a big help. My date is the 14th!
  • Tawnykakers1
    Options
    bcedl1982 wrote: »
    Thanks to all of you for sharing-it is such a big help. My date is the 14th!

You only have a few more days to go! How are you doing? Wishing you smooth sailing.
  • bcedl1982
    Options
    Just under 24 hours to go! I'm feeling mostly excited/nervous, but also a bit apprehensive. My daughter will be with me, so one of us will post status updates. Thanks!
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Good luck - you've got this!
  • Lisa51Me
    Lisa51Me Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Will be waiting to hear how it goes!
  • AngieViolet
    Options
    Yay! Best of luck to you!
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Best if luck!!
  • bcedl1982
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Ps - Sorry Tawnykakers1 - didn't mean to hijack your thread! :o
  • Tawnykakers1
    edited December 2015
    Options
    bcedl1982 wrote: »
    Thanks, everyone! Ps - Sorry Tawnykakers1 - didn't mean to hijack your thread! :o

Not a problem. Everyone on here is so supportive. Today is your day! I will be thinking about you. When you feel up to it let us know how well you did.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    @bcedl1982, how'd you do?
  • Tawnykakers1
    Options
    @bcedl1982, how'd you do?

I was wondering also.
  • bcedl1982
    Options
    Hello everyone, thanks for thinking of me! The surgery went smoothly. Two hours in the OR for hernia repair & vsg. No trouble keeping down fluids (was worried about that). Only slight complication was that I swelled up from iv fluids, which made my bp & heartrate go way up. Because I was having pain in my sternum (others have felt gas pain there, too), they put me on a heart monitor, stopped the iv & did several extra blood tests to make sure my heart was ok. Thank goodness it was! Six incisions all look ok (but rather gruesome) so far. Back home after one overnight in hospital. Have been sipping water, hot tea, & a bit of half-strength protein drink today. My doc wants me lying down or up & walking around today & tomorrow to help prevent bloodclots. I notice that when I do too many laps around the house I start to feel naseous, but that stops when I rest. So, all in all, I'm feeling very well, considering!