Strava??

Options
MrWilson6
MrWilson6 Posts: 148 Member
Hi All,
If anyone is interested, I could set up a club within Strava, so you can see everyone's progress. If not, and everyone would prefer to keep the group motivation here, that is fine as well.

Let me know your thoughts, and I will do whatever the general consensus is between us all.

Andy

Replies

• gemmaw987
    gemmaw987 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ive never used strava but ill definately join if theres a group!

If anyone uses endomondo, feel free to add me on there. Although I havent been able to run for a week due to bllisters :-( (ahhhhhh)! Hoping to try a small one tonight and see how they go.
  • MrWilson6
    Options
    Ok. I will set up a group on Strava (which also links to MFP), and send everyone the link.

For those who aren't familiar with Strava, it is a GPS tracking multi-sport system, that allows you to challenge yourself and others, and compare similar routes/workout to see how you have progressed. You can also see through one of their functions, where all you have run (cycled, or whatever else you do) in the world. It's not for everyone, but I personally love what it offers.
  • MrWilson6
    Options
    Ok gang. If you are interested, here is the link to the Strava group: https://www.strava.com/clubs/rascallyrunners

Everyone is welcome, but it is closed just to us, so you will need to request to be a member.
  • gemmaw987
    gemmaw987 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think I have sent a request......

I have attempted to anyway :smile:
  • MrWilson6
    Options
    gemmaw987 wrote: »

Strange. I have just looked, and I don't see your request.
  • MrWilson6
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If for whatever reason anyone is not able to send a request to join the Strava group, let me know and I will add you as a "friend", and add you to the group that way.
  • MrWilson6
    Options
    gemmaw987 wrote: »

Found you! Request accepted!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I have my running data on Garmin Connect, RunKeeper, and Daily Mile due to some history and a desire to communicate with specific people who are on certain platforms. If I can set Garmin to send automatically to Strava, I'd consider it. I'm not eager to add another manual step to data updating. RunKeeper would have been phased out, except Garmin is sending data there automatically now. There are bugs, but I just live with that.
  • MrWilson6
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    I have my running data on Garmin Connect, RunKeeper, and Daily Mile due to some history and a desire to communicate with specific people who are on certain platforms. If I can set Garmin to send automatically to Strava, I'd consider it. I'm not eager to add another manual step to data updating. RunKeeper would have been phased out, except Garmin is sending data there automatically now. There are bugs, but I just live with that.

You can download your data through Garmin to Strava. I believe you can connect the two to automatically sync your workouts as well. Here's a link to show how you can connect (if you're interested): http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/08/automatic-mapmyfitness-endomondo.html
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the instructions. Strava looks interesting. I have joined, linked my GarminConnect account, and sent a request to join the group.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    Today I took the time to dust off my old unused Strava account and link it to Garmin Connect. No activities show on Strava yet, because I didn't do that until after my run this morning. I expect tomorrow morning's long run should show automatically.

I sent a request to join the group. It should show up under my real name, and I should show as Kevin C to people who aren't my friends on Strava. You'll be able to tell it's me because I'm wearing the same GVH singlet in the Strava picture as I am in my profile picture here. (Different race, and the singlet is over a tee in the Strava picture.)
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I only use Strava when I run outside at my parents house, but I do love that app!
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    busyPK wrote: »
    I only use Strava when I run outside at my parents house, but I do love that app!

I was underwhelmed by the Strava app when I tried it. (It may have improved, it's been quite a while since I looked.) But linking Strava to my Garmin made the social networking aspect work for me. Joined the Rascally Runners club, but also started seeing some local runners I know on Strava. And I know they're using GPS watches and not the Strava app.