Light Therapy Lamp for SAD & Vitamin D Deficiencies - Recommendations?

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
So, I'm in the market for one of these daylight lamps (2 actually, one for work and one for home)... I received the recommendation these two:

I have this one for my desk at work which is perfect for a cubicle situation: http://amzn.com/B00761HREI
then i also have this one for at home which is great for when you're alone and no one will be bothered by the light: http://amzn.com/B000W8Y7FY

the first link has a lower output, so you need to sit in front of it for 2 hours (or so, depends on you!) and the second one i only have to sit in front of for 30-45 minutes! they are kind of pricey, but worth it in my opinion. lightboxes have been shown to be just as effective as antidepressants.

I also was considering this one... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K08ZDBI?psc=1

Some of the reviews are a bit mixed, and I'm really not sure what to look for... Does anyone else have any specific recommendations? Feedback on the options above?

Replies

• nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    No recommends here - I just make sure all our house lights have higher wattage bulbs.

Just an affirmation that it IS a big deal... I've been 'going nuts' earlier than usual this year in the Pacific Northwest.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Higher wattage bulbs end up hurting my eyes in general, but if they aren't daylight specific bulbs, it doesn't really make a difference, does it?
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    For me, yes, though probably psychological.

I'd go with one of the lamps you mentioned - let me know how it works!
  • cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have one my mom gave me. You can't see the label anymore unfortunately. I don't know if the science behind it is real, but I do turn it on when I first wake up (6pm usually--I work nightshift) and sit near it and watch tv or eat or whatever before work for 20-40 minutes. I do feel more awake.

I also take vitamin d and magnesium when I get home (6-7am) to help me sleep.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Higher wattage bulbs end up hurting my eyes in general, but if they aren't daylight specific bulbs, it doesn't really make a difference, does it?

I'm pretty sure it does make a difference. Different bulbs give off different spectra of light, and it's UV B light, specifically, that is required for our skin to make vitamin D (yep, that's right, the "cancer causing UV rays" are exactly what we need to produce vitamin D, which helps prevent cancer!). So no, just using a brighter bulb (with the decline of incandescent bulbs, wattage doesn't mean anything) is not going to do it. You need to have one that puts off light in the higher wavelength spectrum.

As to your original post, I can't comment on the ones you linked, but this is the one I have -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JF3G08 -- I've only used it a little, but it seems to work.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Its purely psychological I am sure, but I switched every bulb in my house to "daylight" ones, and with LED not putting off any real heat I use the highest wattage I can. Its literally like a beach scene in my house. Love the white light instead of the yellowy glow most have. Definitely helps keep my mood up, along with vitamin D supplements.

I do have a "happy light" i keep at work, and I have left it on 8-10 hrs a day for months. Let me tell you... I am no happier at work LOL :).
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    Its purely psychological I am sure, but I switched every bulb in my house to "daylight" ones, and with LED not putting off any real heat I use the highest wattage I can. Its literally like a beach scene in my house. Love the white light instead of the yellowy glow most have. Definitely helps keep my mood up, along with vitamin D supplements.

I do have a "happy light" i keep at work, and I have left it on 8-10 hrs a day for months. Let me tell you... I am no happier at work LOL :).

Most LEDs don't put of UV rays, so it most likely is psychological, but hey, whatever works. Nothing wrong with harnessing the placebo effect, in my opinion. Though there may be some physical effect -- the brighter and cooler light may be reducing daylight eye strain, which has a surprisingly profound affect on fatigue (and therefore mood).

Also, "wattage" is outmoded now and no longer has anything to do with brightness or light color. A warm 400 lumen bulb can have the same wattage as a cool 800 lumen bulb, but the latter is drastically brighter and cooler. It's well worth learning the new/proper terminology, even if you don't know off the top of your head what 400 lumens translates to in a room.

That said, I'm loving the new variety that's present in LED bulbs. The chandellier in the main living area is full of daylight bulbs, so likes yours, it's like a beach sceen in here. In contrast, I have warm bulbs in my office (where daylight is augmented in the day by actual sunlight from a south facing window) and will have the warm ones in the bedroom, too.

I can't wait for sets like the Philips Hue and its ilk to come down in price. Even without the fancy "scene" colors (which have all sorts of colors, not just shades of white) are awesome for changing the lighting color based on certain circumstances, so I could put them in the areas I used a different times of the day, and have less blue at night, for example. Being able to shift the light color of indoor lighting to better mimic natural light changes can profoundly help us, because blue light inhibits melatonin production, while the absense of it encourages melatonin production, helping us sleep better and keep our circadian rhythm.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    There is a light bulb I bought at my local coop designed for SAD. I actually have it in my bedside lamp and it does work. I'll try to remember to look at the label on it tonight when I get home. It wasn't expensive and you could bring in a lamp and use it at work as well.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Unfortunately, my guy is on an opposite sleep schedule from me, so I could not have it in the bedroom. (He's generally coming to bed as I'm getting up.) And yes, there are a lot of replacement bulbs that look like the fluorescents that would fit a normal lamp, but normal lamps with shades diffuse the light...so how would that work when you don't want it diffused??
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    The specific wavelength of the SAD lamps is unproven but we did have success with just turning on lots of bright lights early in the day, in our kitchen as we made and ate breakfast.
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for years and years - doctor recommended and definitely helpful. I now work in an office with lots of natural light and also go for a brief walk during lunch, so that helps with the sunlight issue (also vitamin d) - As the winter wears on, may bring my lamp to work for an extra jolt of rays.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    For anyone curious, I've been using this since around Christmas time, and it's made a significant difference. I do still take my D3 pill with a K2 pill at the same time to "direct the traffic." I wish I could use it upon first rising, and might actually shift my schedule so I can, but for now, I'm using it as soon as I get to work. Makes a lot of difference. I can use it for an afternoon pick me up if needed too. I got the one @Dragonwolf suggested, and that's the one I've used so far. I did get another one, but it is large and bulky by comparison...
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Glad it's been helping!