What has worked best for you?

Options
13»

Replies

• evinston
    evinston Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Move more, eat less...I don't freak out if I blow it. I think "hmmm, I wonder what triggered that". I attempt to figure it out, accept it, and move on. And, believe it or not, talking to myself really helps. "Alright girl, you know what you have to do; and, you know you can do it. Get busy."
  • MrsMaui27
    MrsMaui27 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    evinston wrote: »
    Move more, eat less...I don't freak out if I blow it. I think "hmmm, I wonder what triggered that". I attempt to figure it out, accept it, and move on. And, believe it or not, talking to myself really helps. "Alright girl, you know what you have to do; and, you know you can do it. Get busy."

Very Inspiring!!! o:)
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    For me the weight control part has never really been a struggle. Finding time to keep myself fit is usually harder with more adult level issues to deal with. If I can get out and exercise, the weight will fall where it falls. I do set goals, and if I'm planning a day out eating less healthy stuff, I try to get in a solid workout to "earn" that day at the brewery with the food trucks.

I like to challenge myself in a physical sense, and think I do better "doing my own thing" vs a real structured program.

I'm hoping to find some military type endurance races with the mental/decision making aspects to race in the next year or two. I like the aspect of having to know when you can push on, when you need rest, and being in touch with the risk factors.
  • MrsMaui27
    MrsMaui27 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Having a trip scheduled somewhere warm works GRrreat for me B) April I go on a Cruise in Mexico, The off to Spain in June!!!
  • evinston
    evinston Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    MrsMaui27 wrote: »
    Having a trip scheduled somewhere warm works GRrreat for me B) April I go on a Cruise in Mexico, The off to Spain in June!!!

How exciting!! Those are terrific motivators. Keep us in the loop when it's time to travel. I love to hear travel stories :)
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    MrsMaui27 wrote: »

I lived in Spain for a year, attended the Universidad de Valladolid. Get yourself a good guide book. There is so much history, theatre, symphonies, and food & wine.

Here's a tid bit: when the European Union coin was first minted, Portugal and Spain were not separated. Rightfully, Portugal wanted the border drawn on the coin to show they were two distinct countries.

Enjoy your trips.

• BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Logging daily on MFP is working for me. Yesterday I just hit a 365 day logging streak!
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,998 Member
    Options
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    Logging daily on MFP is working for me. Yesterday I just hit a 365 day logging streak!
    Well done, sir!! Nice feeling, isn't it?
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Bravo Bill!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Definitely portion control.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    For me it has been cut way back on the alcohol, portion control (I had to convince my wife her cooking was still great it was just my choice to no longer go back for thirds), and exercise. My motivation to exercise was signing up for a ton of 5K, 10K and half marathons. You pay out the cash and tell so many people you just HAVE to do them so you have to keep training. I also threw away my fat pants early 2014 and have no desire to buy that size ever again.
  • Kelleygirl79
    Kelleygirl79 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would say the biggest key to my success (CICO being the method!) is prep work. I'm really good (no actually, I LOVE) eating the same food every single day; for example, I've eaten my breakfast omlette almost every day for the last 10 years! And I have regular lunch choices. These require no thought, just prep work. I have found meals that fill me up, are satisfying and I don't feel the need to have daily grazing festivals. I log every day.

So my husband and I prepare and eat really good, satisfying dinners almost every night. I mean, dinners that are better than restaurant: tuna steak, sushi, salmon, chicken on the BGE etc. I rarely feel the need for "cheat" meals (I hate that word). I never feel deprived for something better because, for us, it doesn't get better than our salmon!!

I lost steady weight with zero plateaus at 2 lbs/week. I just hit my goal range with almost 50 lbs gone! And since I've not been on a diet, for the first time in my life I'm 100% confident I can keep it off. I will have to log 80% of the time to maintain fer sure.

Even as I sit here and eat a piece of Red Velvet cake for breakfast on Christmas morning. HA HAHA.

I'm 54 years old.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Like so many others, I tried everything that sounded like it was the fast track to weight loss only to have all the weight pile back on after I stopped whatever fad I was doing. What I learned was to take it slow, eat the foods I enjoy and not beat myself for overeating at times. It will probably take me another year to hit my goal, and that's fine with me. I'm learning how to eat and be active for the rest of my life. Now off to prepare the Christmas feast which I enjoy every glorious bite!
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Kellygirl will you please add me as a friend. I'm on the road and the updated MFP would like me to log in - in order to send you a message. I'm guilty of not remembering all user names and passwords.

I have lost 62.5 pounds and have another 30 to go. I think I can do it while improving my quality of life. I am right there with you regarding the restaurant. Rarely have I had a restaurant serve me with fine crystal, china, and linen - while playing my absolute favorite dinner music.

I'd really like to get back to that.
  • bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well, whats works for me ..so far... cutting out all added salt and sugar, all pasta,bread,white rice, drinking plain old water and lots of it ..and walking...walking and more walking...i bought myself a fitbit and for someone who is not much of a techno geek...i love this thing..i haven;t worn a watch in at least 35 years..took me a few days to get use to it..everyone on this journey really should have one or something like it... the other thing that is a huge help is i'm chief cook and bottle washer...(matter of survival the women of this family are terrible cooks) so i can pretty much make what i want.... i cook potatoes and rice and pasta for them and make myself salads and veggies.... its tough but so far i haven't been tempted .and i log everything i eat...surprised the heck out of me how much i look forward to doing that each day and making sure i'm under my calories for the day
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Well, whats works for me ..so far... cutting out all added salt and sugar, all pasta,bread,white rice, drinking plain old water and lots of it ..and walking...walking and more walking...i bought myself a fitbit and for someone who is not much of a techno geek...i love this thing..i haven;t worn a watch in at least 35 years..took me a few days to get use to it..everyone on this journey really should have one or something like it... the other thing that is a huge help is i'm chief cook and bottle washer...(matter of survival the women of this family are terrible cooks) so i can pretty much make what i want.... i cook potatoes and rice and pasta for them and make myself salads and veggies.... its tough but so far i haven't been tempted .and i log everything i eat...surprised the heck out of me how much i look forward to doing that each day and making sure i'm under my calories for the day

I just transitioned from a HR monitor to the Fitbit Charge HR at Christmas and love it so much. I really only have 5 to 10 vanity pounds left to lose but this thing is going to make it so much easier, both in motivation and information!

I'm also the chief cook in the family, which makes it so much easier to control the day right??? And......my husband lost weight without really trying because he actually eats what I cook!!! LOL

I'll repeat this here for all the new members of MFP and this group.........numero uno for me as far as what works is pre-logging meals. Since I am the chief cook I know what's on the menu and I can log everything in the morning and then all I have to do is stick to it............not always easy, but it's much easier than looking back on the day and realizing I blew it at breakfast!!!!
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I am only a quarter of the way to my goal weight, but I have found it has been the slow adoption of new habits. Layering new changes as the previous changes become habits. First just focusing on logging, measuring and planning. Then adding moving and then extending length of my walks. As I learn more about what works for me, and tossing out some myths that I thought were true, I am building the habits that will keep me healthy for life, not just lose the weight. Or at least that is the plan. I am sure there will be more bumps along the road, but I had a huge aha when I went on vacation for two weeks, did not log or track food (Mom's cooking and eating out a lot) and I still lost two pounds in those two weeks. Now I am back to my regular habits which were easier than I expected to slip back into.

Great thread!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Consistency. Portion Control. Plain and simple. No matter where I am, no matter what's going on, I don't stuff myself, and I get whatever exercise I can. Whether I'm going to weigh more or less, I'm going to take care of myself.