bench-press-low-grip.jpg
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Wrist pain post shoulder day; mainly I think from military press using a barbell with weight. Could I place the bar farther forward in my hands to avoid this or is it more a function of the movement? Right now the bar sits back in my hand as I set the bar prior to the first rep.

Do you wrap the thumb around the bar and is this seated or standing?

Wrapped, yes. Bar sort of falls into the palm and standing. Would it help to keep it closer to where the wrist is...sort of like a bench press. When I bench the thumb doesn't get wrapped.

I would wrap the thumb during bench for safety. For ohp you can get away with not wrapping because of the bar slips you can get out of the way.

But either way I would do what you can to get the bar seated over the forearm to reduce wrist strain and also improve force transfer by minimizing the lever arm between the forearm and barbell.

Worth a try to reduce strain and force transfer thank you.

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I have a question re: deadlifts please.

I have been trying to work on my form over the past year after a trainer at the gym pointed out that I round my mid back with DLs. I videoed myself, and true enough, I do. My problem is that it only EVER happens on my first rep - all other reps in that set are fine. It is only the initial pull from the ground. I have tried the following to correct this;

1. Dropping the weight - works but only @ 40% of my max. And I can't stay at that forever.
    2. Bumper plates to raise the bar
    3. Starting with my hips higher (I used to squat the bar up a little - I have fixed this)
    4. Thinking "shoulders back"
    5. Thinking "hips first"
    6. Breathing out/ in as I pull

I have gotten these ideas from 2 trainers at the gym and 1 exercise physiologist. I trust their opinions and they have all been in agreement that I should lower the weight to work on this. I am struggling with this because it doesn't matter how heavy it is (or isn't), the first rep looks like crap. After that, my form is great, back is neutral. It never hurts.

Having done some reading online, it seems that the mid back rounding may or may not be considered an issue.

I don't know how to fix it or even whether to bother trying anymore. Any tips, cues or pearls of wisdom?

Much appreciated xxx
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Can you send me a video?

I don't like the idea of breathing as you pull.

I'd try focusing on chest up, squeeze oranges with your armpits. These cues may help if it's a tightness issue.

But I'd like to see this if possible, on a multiple rep set.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Can you send me a video?

I don't like the idea of breathing as you pull.

I'd try focusing on chest up, squeeze oranges with your armpits. These cues may help if it's a tightness issue.

But I'd like to see this if possible, on a multiple rep set.

I am technically challenged - how can I upload a video from my iphone?

• jo_marnes
    Options
    Ok think you will be able to see it here - http://1drv.ms/1PrWyqZ

I think the rounding is particularly pronounced in this video - not always this bad!! But always that first rep is the worst
  • SideSteel
    Options
    This helps. I have a few things to post about this soon.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Ok, so first of all this is a tightness issue in some regards but you're also out of position and the positional error could be causing you difficulties with remaining tight.

Basically, the barbell is quite a bit too far away from your center. The bar needs to be over the midfoot and under the scapula at the start of the pull. The bar looks to be forward of midfoot/scapula on your first rep.

When you are looking down at your feet in your set-up, the bar should be roughly over the bows of your laces. In your case I suspect it's over your toes.

I'd first like to see you correct this, then submit another video so I can see the difference.

YouTube Mark Rippetoe Deadlift for a few examples of proper set up.

• jo_marnes
    Options
    Thanks - I will see what happens when I try changing this
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,627 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    A few months ago my work schedule almost doubled the number of hours per week at work. Between fewer hours at home, along with increased fatigue, my workout schedule became completely shot. I was still able to make it to the gym once a week for a full-body workout, where I tried to make up for lost time.

For a while it worked, and my strength levels remained more or less the same. My weight as well, since I cut back appropriately on calories consumed, so my waist has remained constant, though my upper arms seem smaller to me as evidenced by my shirts fitting more loosely than before. But the last couple workouts I've noticed marked losses in strength of at least 10-20% on all lifts, more on my chest and less on my legs.

Since my work schedule doesn't project to return to the way it was anytime soon, I'm thinking my old days of hitting the gym for 90-120 minutes multiple times per week are over. However, I'm thinking I'll be able to squeeze in VERY short workouts (15-20 min) before my day shifts and on my days off with weights, while I can do BW exercises at my desk during graveyard sessions. (The time is non-negotiable before day shifts, as I need to leave NLT 0530 to be to work on time but my gym doesn't open til 0500, and I need to have time to shower/dress.)

My thinking is selecting a pair of exercises to superset between, say Day 1: bench/BB row, Day 2: squat/hamstring work, Day 3: DL/shrug, repeat. Should I bother cycling through various exercises (ie a different chest exercise each time I do chest/back), or just stick with the same one each time? Assuming I get my butt out of bed in time I could hit the gym 4, even 5 times per week, although for very short times each time.

Between my shoulder injury over the summer and the fact I'm approaching 40yo, I'm hesitant to go up to 1-3RM anymore, so I'm thinking sets of 8-10. I guess this could mean doing two different exercises if I keep the rest time uber-short, though reality never seems to cooperate with plans on paper.

Suggestions?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    A few months ago my work schedule almost doubled the number of hours per week at work. Between fewer hours at home, along with increased fatigue, my workout schedule became completely shot. I was still able to make it to the gym once a week for a full-body workout, where I tried to make up for lost time.

For a while it worked, and my strength levels remained more or less the same. My weight as well, since I cut back appropriately on calories consumed, so my waist has remained constant, though my upper arms seem smaller to me as evidenced by my shirts fitting more loosely than before. But the last couple workouts I've noticed marked losses in strength of at least 10-20% on all lifts, more on my chest and less on my legs.

Since my work schedule doesn't project to return to the way it was anytime soon, I'm thinking my old days of hitting the gym for 90-120 minutes multiple times per week are over. However, I'm thinking I'll be able to squeeze in VERY short workouts (15-20 min) before my day shifts and on my days off with weights, while I can do BW exercises at my desk during graveyard sessions. (The time is non-negotiable before day shifts, as I need to leave NLT 0530 to be to work on time but my gym doesn't open til 0500, and I need to have time to shower/dress.)

My thinking is selecting a pair of exercises to superset between, say Day 1: bench/BB row, Day 2: squat/hamstring work, Day 3: DL/shrug, repeat. Should I bother cycling through various exercises (ie a different chest exercise each time I do chest/back), or just stick with the same one each time? Assuming I get my butt out of bed in time I could hit the gym 4, even 5 times per week, although for very short times each time.

Between my shoulder injury over the summer and the fact I'm approaching 40yo, I'm hesitant to go up to 1-3RM anymore, so I'm thinking sets of 8-10. I guess this could mean doing two different exercises if I keep the rest time uber-short, though reality never seems to cooperate with plans on paper.

Suggestions?

Interesting issue.

Is the goal to maintain strength in certain lifts, or maintain LBM, or remain lean, etc?

What's the priority?
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Ok, so first of all this is a tightness issue in some regards but you're also out of position and the positional error could be causing you difficulties with remaining tight.

Basically, the barbell is quite a bit too far away from your center. The bar needs to be over the midfoot and under the scapula at the start of the pull. The bar looks to be forward of midfoot/scapula on your first rep.

When you are looking down at your feet in your set-up, the bar should be roughly over the bows of your laces. In your case I suspect it's over your toes.

I'd first like to see you correct this, then submit another video so I can see the difference.

Ok - I changed my set up. I think I have been confused previously by differing opinions on what my set up should look like. This feels a lot more like how I started (i.e. more natural). I think it does improve things but it's still not right with the mid back. See video here - https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=cf117bdaad169dd2&id=CF117BDAAD169DD2!56658&authkey=!AMSk4aXU_IBCygc

Further advice greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time SS
  • SideSteel
    Options
    jo_marnes wrote: »

Ok - I changed my set up. I think I have been confused previously by differing opinions on what my set up should look like. This feels a lot more like how I started (i.e. more natural). I think it does improve things but it's still not right with the mid back. See video here - https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=cf117bdaad169dd2&id=CF117BDAAD169DD2!56658&authkey=!AMSk4aXU_IBCygc

Much better. And in fact, watch this and then watch your old video and you'll see the mid back rounding has already improved a lot. This looks way better.

I suspect your grip is quite wide but I can't tell from this view. Consider bringing your grip in so that you're just outside of your legs.

As for cueing further, think about squeezing oranges with your armpits just before you pull, to tighten your lats.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    jo_marnes wrote: »

Much better. And in fact, watch this and then watch your old video and you'll see the mid back rounding has already improved a lot. This looks way better.

I suspect your grip is quite wide but I can't tell from this view. Consider bringing your grip in so that you're just outside of your legs.

As for cueing further, think about squeezing oranges with your armpits just before you pull, to tighten your lats.

Will do - thanks. Will let you know how I get on
  • nossmf
    Options
    Interesting issue.

Is the goal to maintain strength in certain lifts, or maintain LBM, or remain lean, etc?

What's the priority?

First priority I reckon would be quality of life, able to perform daily activities (laundry, shovel snow, etc) easily. Second priority would be appearance, keeping a slim waist and large muscular arms, mostly for vanity sake. A distant third would be absolute strength. (Quite a shift from this time last year, when I was in full-on power-lifting mode, but that's what a shoulder injury will do to you.)
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Interesting issue.

What's the priority?

First priority I reckon would be quality of life, able to perform daily activities (laundry, shovel snow, etc) easily. Second priority would be appearance, keeping a slim waist and large muscular arms, mostly for vanity sake. A distant third would be absolute strength. (Quite a shift from this time last year, when I was in full-on power-lifting mode, but that's what a shoulder injury will do to you.)

I think you could hit the first goal with a minimal amount of training given that you are already fit, and maintaining a reasonable level of fitness for daily activities won't require much on your part. Show up a couple of days per week for a short session with compound movements and you're good to go.

Can you purchase some adjustable DB's for home? If it were me, I'd consider that as an option and that way you could get to the gym for some short barbell work and if you want to wok on dem guns a bit more, do a few DB sessions at home.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Thx for taking the time to respond. I have a couple DB's at home, very light-weight (15 & 25). Hadn't considered adjustable DB's, assumed they were cost-prohibitive. Maybe I should look at them once more.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Wow, a quick search on amazon shows I can get adjustable DB's for $800+ (which I knew about) but down to as low as $200 for 200# worth of DB. Fascinating.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Wow, a quick search on amazon shows I can get adjustable DB's for $800+ (which I knew about) but down to as low as $200 for 200# worth of DB. Fascinating.

The bowflex adjustable dumbbells are pretty good quality. They have two series to allow you to chose your max weight. I have had mine for about 4 years now and love them. If you need another option for quick stuff at work, you can get some resistance bands. The max is around 100 lbs of resistance and based on stance (you can loop the band to add more resistance) and they fit in a desk drawer.