Week 4 post OP and gained

Options
Well I am week 4 post OP and I am no longer at a stall, I gained 2 pounds..I am FREAKING out. I am doing everything I am supposed to. Is this normal or should I be calling someone?

Replies

• SimplySharon811
    SimplySharon811 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Well I am week 4 post OP and I am no longer at a stall, I gained 2 pounds..I am FREAKING out. I am doing everything I am supposed to. Is this normal or should I be calling someone?

This is completely normal especially being this early out. It WILL happen, this wont be the first nor the last time. No worries. You're body is still healing and adjusting being 4 weeks out. Keep chugging along and keep doigne verything you should :)
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Ok good I'm glad it's normal. I have read about the 3 week stalls but never the 4 week gain. I was pretty freaked out. I'm going to put the scale away for awhile I think.
  • Lisa51Me
    Lisa51Me Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm only 1 week out, but people in my support group say week 3 and 4 commonly show stalls/gains. I think putting the scale away and trusting the process sounds like a great idea.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that at this stage, you are still shedding all of the massive amounts of fluids you were administered during surgery and just after. A good test is to check your ankles. If you poke them, does it take a second or two for your skin to go back to its normal shape? If so, you're still retaining water.

The 3-week stall is infamous. EVERYONE mentions it, so you're in good company. That said, you're going to hit stalls and plateaus all throughout this process. Something you may want to consider doing (if you're not already) is tracking your measurements. Even when my weight is stalled, nine times out of 10, I'm still losing mass (and sometimes, gaining muscle).

Also, gauge what is right for you, but some people (like me) freak out at normal fluctuations on the scale. I've trained myself into only weighing once a week so I don't obsess over it. Not everyone feels the same way about weighing in, though, so again, you'll need to gauge what's best for your own sanity. :smiley:
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Putting scale aside is great idea. If you're doing right things, and it sounds like you are then don't worry. Weight will take care of itself.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're still having your monthly cycle, that can still cause you to go up in weight after your surgery. It doesn't matter how little I'm eating, I retain 3-5lbs of hormone/water weight every.dang.cycle after surgery. It will drop back off, but it is one of those monthly blips on the scale that I don't bother charting, but am prepared to see.
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Well still nothing lost and gained another pound. I have called my Nut. for the last two days to figure out whats up and of course NO call back. Pretty lost and have no clue what to do. I no longer have my monthly cycle and am doing everything I'm supposed to. I have started walking a mile a day with light swimming twice a week. I am pretty sure I should no be gaining weight :-( NOT to happy with my weight loss Dr. office right now....
  • boncharlie
    boncharlie Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I had a stall for 3 and a half weeks starting in my 4th week after sleeve surgery and what worked for me (but may not work for you) was to increase my cals a little.

So before and during stall I was having about 500 - 550 cals a day - was difficult to eat any more but decided to add 25 grams of cashews/ nuts throughout the day and it shifted my stall. I now aim to have about 650 - 750 cals a day. When I spoke to my NUT about it she said that it was probably my body telling me that it was healing and ready for things to progress a little. However she has always told me not to focus on calories but focus on protein intake instead.

Again this may not be the right answer for you but I just wanted to let you know that I was in a similar position and it got better. Hope you get in touch with your NUT soon..