Fatigue with minimal aerobic exercise on low carb

Options
thubten1
thubten1 Posts: 29 Member
I am sure this has probably been covered here,but I dont see a search option.
I just started low carb 4 weeks ago,and I know it is the only diet for me from previous experience,but anything aerobic beyond walking is too fatiguing.
For example,I love to run steps for exercise,but my quads wont even do walking up steps .
I feel like I should keep the net carbs under 25 grams / day to lose 2# a week for 10 weeks
My main foods are walnuts,almonds,salmon,greek nonfat yogurt,traders xtra high protein tofu,egg whites,turkey burgers for lots of healthy fat,lots of good protein,low carbs. I do treat myself to 2oz of vodka

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have your electrolytes dialed in.
    3,000 to 5,000 mg of sodium daily
    300-400 mg of magnesium. I recommend a supplement of magnesium citrate, malate, or glycinate.
    And 2000mg of potassium. About the only way to achieve this is to buy potassium salt like NuSalt or Lite Salt and mix it in broth or into flavored water with your regular salt to make a keto gatorade.

You require more water as well so stay hydrated.

Hopefully this is it and taking care of the above will help.

If not, you may want to examine whether or not your calorie deficit is too severe for your activity level.

HTH. :smile:
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    What she said....but also, why would you only eat egg whites? The yolk is the good part! Don't make the mistake of eating low carb and low fat! That's not sustainable long term. Don't be afraid of the fat!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What she said....but also, why would you only eat egg whites? The yolk is the good part! Don't make the mistake of eating low carb and low fat! That's not sustainable long term. Don't be afraid of the fat!

It looks like they're avoiding saturated fats. Note all the "healthy fat" stuff is unsaturated, and all the stuff that's avoiding fat are sources of saturated fats.

OP, don't fear saturated fat. Your body actually needs it for proper function and hormone balance/synthesis. The fat is also where a lot of the nutrients are in things like eggs and yogurt. Have a look at the Launch Pad, there are a number of links that talk about saturated fat and the fact that it's been demonized without any actual evidence to justify it.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

It looks like they're avoiding saturated fats. Note all the "healthy fat" stuff is unsaturated, and all the stuff that's avoiding fat are sources of saturated fats.

OP, don't fear saturated fat. Your body actually needs it for proper function and hormone balance/synthesis. The fat is also where a lot of the nutrients are in things like eggs and yogurt. Have a look at the Launch Pad, there are a number of links that talk about saturated fat and the fact that it's been demonized without any actual evidence to justify it.

This, too. I knew I was going to miss something.
  • thubten1
    Options
    Thanks
    My measured electrolytes are fine.I do use potassium salt exclusively.Magnesium is a good idea.I took it once for nocturnal leg cramps without any effect,but they went away on their own.I am drinking enough water.
    I eat loads of healthy fat from walnuts,salmon ,tofu but not yolks ,especially not 4 a day,and I dont want a cholesterol debate.My cholesterol is high,and cant take statins.In fact,this fatigue is similar to what I had about 6 times trying statins,but no muscle pain.

Maybe I just need more carbs?especially right before exercise? blueberries?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend upping carbs. Plus, I recommend the same as the above posts, increasing your intake of saturated fat will help you feel better. You aren't doing yourself any favors by trying to stay low fat too. You will feel terrible and convince yourself that carbs will help, when they won't. Please do the reading in the launch pad, as recommended by others. And learn to not be afraid of fat. I'm so glad you can't take statins (read read read...knowledge is power!)!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    thubten1 wrote: »
    Thanks
    My measured electrolytes are fine.I do use potassium salt exclusively.

That's your problem. Sodium is the solution. Not fats, not Mg, not K. Sodium.

Resistance is futile. :)
  • sitzenhuser
    sitzenhuser Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of hot water with a bouillon cube a couple times a day. Gets rid of the fatigue and headaches.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Thanks

Yep. Sodium. You absolutely cannot get enough sodium unless you specifically seek it out to achieve the 4000-5000mg a day needed. Buy sodium chloride tablets at the pharmacy if you find it difficult to reach those numbers. This will make a difference that you will notice pretty much right away.
    But also, seriously, you need to consider some other types of fats. Grass fed butter and organic, unrefined coconut oil or MCT oil if you want higher amounts of capric/caprylic acid for mental energy.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    If you've only started a LC diet 4 weeks ago, chances are that you are not fat adapted yet; your body is not yet acclimatized to fueling itself with fat instead of carbs.

Give it time and, like others have said, up your fat intake.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Some people lack, or have deficiencies of, one or more enzymes needed to metabolize fatty acids, in which case a low carb diet wouldn't be a good idea. It is not the most likely explanation, but it is important to know that a low carb diet doesn't work for everyone. Here's an overview.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatty-acid_metabolism_disorder#Types

• thubten1
    edited December 2015
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    If you've only started a LC diet 4 weeks ago, chances are that you are not fat adapted yet; your body is not yet acclimatized to fueling itself with fat instead of carbs.

Thanks.I didnt realize it took more than the induction period to adapt

I have not been "low fat".I have been eating a lot of fat,50% of calories.Lots of walnuts,salmon,tofu,etc.Over 50 gm a day,sometimes double that.

• thubten1
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Thanks

Yep. Sodium. You absolutely cannot get enough sodium unless you specifically seek it out to achieve the 4000-5000mg a day needed. Buy sodium chloride tablets at the pharmacy if you find it difficult to reach those numbers. This will make a difference that you will notice pretty much right away.

I have been low on sodium.BTW,the ability to get a well organized clear 7 day total on the food chart is really great.That is purposeful,as I do tend to elevated blood pressure with sodium salt.That has been well tested with anchovie caesar salad dressing.
    I am willing to experiment.Do you have a reference to needing 4-5 gm /day? I could see that for running a marathon in the tropics maybe.Anyway,I had a low carb but very high sodium blast at the Indian restaurant yesterday.Felt like 5 grams from the after-thirst.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »

Thanks.I didnt realize it took more than the induction period to adapt

I have not been "low fat".I have been eating a lot of fat,50% of calories.Lots of walnuts,salmon,tofu,etc.Over 50 gm a day,sometimes double that.

How many calories are you consuming? At 1200 calories per day, 50% fat would still be 67g...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited December 2015
    Options
    There are references on most of the Keto websites. It's very well known. I think there are links in the launchpad.
    Being in ketosis requires the body to dump more water than on carb diets. When the body dumps water, it also dumps electrolytes, mostly sodium. You're just replacing what you're losing. It's not the same as when you ate carbs.
    And 50% fat is fairly low fat for a low carb diet. Most people at 25g carbs or less will be at minimum 60% but most commonly 70-75% fats. Mostly from coconut oil, butter and animal fats. No vegetable oils and some olive oil.
    The fats you get from fish and nuts is good of course, but it's not the same as what you get from animal fat and very different from coconut oil and butter.
    That fat level leaves you getting a big portion of protein everyday, which definitely varies from person to person. If you like a higher protein then maybe just incorporate some MCT oil and butter for the energy boost before working out and leave the macros where they are.
  • thubten1
    Options
    I do have some coconut oil at home that was going to the Gordon setter for his coat/dandruff,and he is willing to share.I'll try some. Before exercise? How much?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Start very slowly on the coconut oil. Teaspoon at first. Bathroom issues can result from too much too fast.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

If energy is what you're after you'd get a higher concentration of the caprylic and capric acid from MCT oil, which is mainly what gives the quick energy. It tends to work quickly like carbs but lasts longer. Coconut oil will provide it too but in lesser concentration. Being new to it, you should still notice improved stamina.
    Give it a shot before exercise and starting with a teaspoon wouldn't be a bad idea. Though, I started out with a couple tablespoons and never had any issues. It varies from person to person.
  • thubten1
    Options
    coconut oil......do you cook with it or just eat it from the spoon? (The dog liked it at first on his food,then not)
  • baconslave
    Options
    I cook with it, bake with it, and put it in my coffee.