December 20th - 26th

Options

Replies

• NewOR2015
    NewOR2015 Posts: 1,018 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Congratulations to all who are sticking to workout routines during the holiday. You will reach your goals that much faster. Plus we are all ahead of the pack since we decided to participate in this group and not wait until New Year's Day to make our weight loss resolutions.
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    KrisM111 wrote: »
    Looking forward to a wonderful week. The weather is warmer than usual for the most part and I'm hoping to take advantage with some outside time. There's a chance of rain most days, but it shouldn't be raining all day.

Where are you from JMarcella? I'm in MN and it's SO weird not to have snow on the ground this time of year! It feels more like early spring! I want snow! :)

I'm just outside Atlanta, GA. Doesn't snow much here. So on the few occasions that it does snow, we just close everything and stay home. Looks like the high on Christmas Day will be in the low 70s. I must say, though, that is unseasonably warm even for us this time of the year! We may not get much snow, but it is usually at least cold by now.
  • livingyoung28
    livingyoung28 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm on the east coast Coventry, RI and we may see 70 degree weather on Christmas eve? Crazy. I also like a little snow. I graduated with my associates degree in electronics this week. Hurray!!!! This has been a long time coming. This was part of the reason why I was not getting to the gym. I work full time and was going to school full time. No more excuses now:)
  • JMarcella57
    Options
    I'm on the east coast Coventry, RI and we may see 70 degree weather on Christmas eve? Crazy. I also like a little snow. I graduated with my associates degree in electronics this week. Hurray!!!! This has been a long time coming. This was part of the reason why I was not getting to the gym. I work full time and was going to school full time. No more excuses now:)

Congratulations!!!!!
  • JMarcella57
    Options
    My new goal is to start a more disciplined walking/running routine and also add dumb bell weights to my day. Why wait until January. My body seems to need it now.
  • NewOR2015
    Options
    @livingyoung28 Congratulations on getting your degree! That is awesome!

@JMarcella57 You go, girl! Disciplined, determined, smart move!
  • TrishV2013
    TrishV2013 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Since I started my fitness journey, I have also started having hip pain in the my left hip. I am not sure if it is because of muscle tightness/soreness but it can be debilitating at times, like today. I am currently sitting on a heating pad. I have taken ibuprofen and did some stretches earlier.

Do any of you have any recommendations for hip stretches or exercises? The pain is on the back side of my hip, right above my butt. :/
  • NewOR2015
    Options
    Trish, hopefully, it is pain from working your muscles and will go away soon. My only exercise is walking. I will be interested in stretches and exercises that others suggest.
  • KrisM111
    KrisM111 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

That is awesome! Congratulations! What a great gift to yourself to start the New Year. :)
  • KrisM111
    Options
    My new goal is to start a more disciplined walking/running routine and also add dumb bell weights to my day. Why wait until January. My body seems to need it now.

I love this sentiment -- why wait? :) Good for you!
  • KrisM111
    Options
    Since I started my fitness journey, I have also started having hip pain in the my left hip. I am not sure if it is because of muscle tightness/soreness but it can be debilitating at times, like today. I am currently sitting on a heating pad. I have taken ibuprofen and did some stretches earlier.

Do any of you have any recommendations for hip stretches or exercises? The pain is on the back side of my hip, right above my butt. :/

Any better today? Hopefully it is muscular and will go away soon, but I'm not sure how you determine that. I don't know of any stretches... I'm always weary when I have of injury of making things worse!
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    squat and look up or say look at the tv then straighten your legs while looking down making a 90 degree angle. It'll stretch the muscles in the back of your legs and tush. I always do this one after I have walked to stretch out my lower back.
  • TrishV2013
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!

It's a bit better today so I was able to get a good workout in. It is something that I have been struggling with since I started. I think my hips need more stretching/strengthening work done. I have a great massage therapist I see for such things but she is unavailable this week.
  • NewOR2015
    Options
    It was a busy day today, shopping, gift wrapping, delivering gifts, cooking, and not even thinking about what I was eating. I logged but lost track so possibly not accurate today.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Despite getting a horrible knot in my shoulder that prevented me from doing judo, I'm having a great week. Got in a mini weights session on Monday before we went to an animal rehab facility and dashed back to get to bjj on time. Rolled hard even though we all had to do it one handed (this may be where I got the knot) and one of the blue boys told me I'm improving. Tuesday was breakfast with a friend and Start Wars with Dad (I want a BB8!). Wed morning work and then massage to sort out shoulder. Got a swim in with my friend before bjj. Today is family brunch then work (hoping to get to open mat as well) before Christmas dinner with the tribe (my gym family). Tomorrow is fitness class (yes, on Christmas day!), church and then family time. My brother is only in town for a few days so parents are planning stuff.

This year has been incredible, mostly because I found the most incredible gym where I learnt to love training (and definitely enjoy the benefits). The people there are my tribe and have supported me through so much. I can't wait to celebrate with them tonight. The best thing about hanging out there is that generally there are only healthy options to eat. We all enjoy the occasional treats, but we also understand that we need to fuel our training properly.
  • TrishV2013
    Options
    I am heading out of town tomorrow morning with my husband and brother-in-law to visit my parents in my hometown until Sunday. I won't have regular Internet access and am hoping I can at least log in to access my streak, as I am nearing 200 days of logging. I will try to keep my wits about me in terms of food and getting outside for a walk or two during the day. I have a lot of great goals for 2016 and I look forward to discussing them with you all next week.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas! Enjoy the holiday, however you plan on spending it. :)
  • Living360
    Living360 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Almost everyday between now and the 29th is planned around food. Christmas Eve is an Italian Buffet, Christmas Day is a Prime Rib feast, Sunday is a delicious buffet brunch out and Tuesday is a work pot luck. I already felt fatter this morning and I haven't eaten a thing yet. I will do my best to eat smartly but you know everyone makes their seasonal specialty. I am making roasted vegetables, a low sugar pineapple pie and planned some low calories drinks but only husband and sons are watching their weight with me so it's a challenge. On any account, it just a few days and then life will settle down and get more routine. I want to thank this group for it's support and I look forward to continuing our friendship in 2016. Happy Holidays!
  • JMarcella57
    Options

Went to the running store and picked out my shoes. They were a tad wide so I had to order them in a narrow size. I have my custom insole ready to go when they arrive. Last year this time, my focus was on the basics. Get enough sleep, manage stress better, eat healthier and get my BMI out of the obese category. This year I'm excited to be focusing on new goals that involve activities, new life goals and getting my BMI into the normal category. So looking forward to getting outside walking more and running.
  • TrishV2013
    Options
    @JMarcella57 - way to go! I am super close to having my BMI out of the obese range, so I am looking forward to that.

I am also looking forward to having a healthy body fat percentage. I am waiting for my body half to catch up with the rest of me, as that seems to be where my fat is just clinging to right now. I feel like a lumpy pear sometimes when I look in the mirror - all svelte on the top but still round on my lower half, especially the lower belly and thighs. BUT I know I am a work in progress, which I am looking forward to tackling in 2016!
  • NewOR2015
    Options
    Thanks, ladies, for sharing your excitement of past successes and future goals. It motivates me to keep going myself. Enjoy the holidays! I am looking forward to more sharing and more successes in 2016.