Just Joined - Menopause Stinks

Options
LB30
LB30 Posts: 109 Member
edited December 2015 in Social Groups
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this group and thankful that I've found it. I have just been told by my doctor that I am peri-menopausal. I just thought I was crazy and lazy. :smile:

My doctor gave me a referral to first see someone who specializes in nutrition therapy (as opposed to the wine and caffeine therapy I leaned towards. Ha!) to try to balance things out before going straight to hormone replacement. She studied under Dr. Weil, so I know this will be from a holistic approach. Has anyone gone this route? Were you successful?

I have gained 20 lbs in the last 18 months and am back to my old post childbirth weight after having kept it off for 8 years. I'm sure I've earned a few of these extra pounds, I haven't been as diligent as I once was, but I didn't think I was slacking 20 lbs worth. Obviously, I ate more and moved less, but it seems like there are some mitigating circumstances that have made counterbalancing that a little more challenging; fatigue, anxiety, sleep disruption, achy/stiffness, forgetfulness...etc. I'm looking forward to reading through/hearing what others in a similar boat have done.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. Everyone here understands how you're feeling!

I've been trying to "eat for menopause". It helps!
  • LB30
    Options
    Thanks. :-)
  • citylife624
    citylife624 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! I had gained about 40 pounds during my marriage, so when I started eating better, it was as I became peri menopausal. Then menopause gave me food allergies and I couldn't eat a lot of carbs. So basically, it hasn't caused me to put on weight.

The caffeine and wine diet is heavenly though, isn't it? ❤️❤️❤️
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Welcome :) I am post now, but I remember the many annoying symptoms I went through. :s I did not want to go onto hormone replacement therapy, and never did. I did take Soy Isoflavones with cycles of Black Cholosh (not sure of spelling), these helped take the edge off of my worse symptoms. ;) It would be interesting to hear what your new nutritionist recommends.
  • LB30
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I will meet with the nutritionist at the end of January (assuming my insurance covers) and I'll let you know what she says.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I hear ya!... ,my life has changed dramatically. some days I want to get into a hole and never come out.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Me too. I need a reset. I want to try carb cycling but I am scared of getting ravenous and bingeing.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I started on here6 years ago next month. The MFP plan worked perfectly for me. I lost 40 lbs. but sometime in the last 4 years the hormones shifted and the weight loss/maintenance rules changed. I've gained 20 lbs and it feels like starvation is the only way to budge the weight. And when I go back to eating normally (and by that I mean about 1500-1600 calls a day) it comes right back.

Very frustrated!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited December 2015
    Options
    tigerblue wrote: »
    I started on here6 years ago next month. The MFP plan worked perfectly for me. I lost 40 lbs. but sometime in the last 4 years the hormones shifted and the weight loss/maintenance rules changed. I've gained 20 lbs and it feels like starvation is the only way to budge the weight. And when I go back to eating normally (and by that I mean about 1500-1600 calls a day) it comes right back.

Very frustrated!

And frustrating to read that we're just not counting carefully enough. :)

I'm working a HELL of a lot harder to maintain now than I ever did to lose. And yes, the minute I blink, I gain 5 and have to grit my teeth to get it back down.
  • LB30
    Options
    I'm also tired of reading about improper counting and weighing. I'd doing the same thing I was doing when I was losing (and maintaining) in the past. Sadly, my body is not responding the same. I fully understand that a calorie is a calorie, but I also understand that my 40 something body does not respond the same as my 30 something body did. I now avoid posting on the main boards because while I don't dispute the 'science', I think there is more TO the science. So right now I prefer to read from those who, whether we can explain it or not, understand the dilemma. :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I started eating lower carb because my significant other was ordered by his doctor to do Atkins. Surprisingly, most of my menopausal symptoms disappeared or were greatly lessened. This was back in May. A happy side effect is I also lost 22 pounds so far.

One thing I have read is that we become more insulin resistant and this is why lowering carbs can be key.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    I started eating lower carb because my significant other was ordered by his doctor to do Atkins. Surprisingly, most of my menopausal symptoms disappeared or were greatly lessened. This was back in May. A happy side effect is I also lost 22 pounds so far.

One thing I have read is that we become more insulin resistant and this is why lowering carbs can be key.

Yup. I see more and more evidence that we become more insulin resistant.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

No! No! No!

Y'all stop saying those ugly things!

Sigh. I think you're right though.

• tubbytuker
    tubbytuker Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    since menopause, I have become gluten sensitive (learned through testing)., Clearly there is something to this. I too gained weight through menopause and am now struggling to take it off. You really have to be good to see any results! Great that we can support each other.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

No! No! No!

Hubs has downloaded SEVERAL pubmed articles for me. I really think it's true.
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies... Just thought I pop in and join the discussion. I am 41 and I'm in the midst of "The Change". I've noticed the weight gain (especially over the holidays), my work schedule has been crazy and I haven't been able to work out like I was before - The entire month of December was very stressful with work and my dad being in the hospital. But I'm not experiencing the depression - I'm dealing with RIDICULOUS ** HOT** FLASHES ** - and I mean crazy hot flashes. And some anxiety/irritability but that's about it so far.

I've started reading up on and using essential oils - my sister-in-law is big into using them so we'll see if some of the "potions" help. :)

My Hubby got me a Samsung Gear Watch that has a step counter for Christmas - very cool. I do feel better now that I'm working out again... I think that has been the best medicine for me so far. <3 But I have considered learning more about a low carb diet, Which will be hard b/c my hubby makes home brew that is REALLY good but I think for the most part I could do it for the day-to-day meals, and pick a day on the wknd to treat myself.
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options

No! No! No!

Hubs has downloaded SEVERAL pubmed articles for me. I really think it's true.

Can you share some links of the articles?
  • cdover10
    cdover10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies... Just thought I pop in and join the discussion. I am 41 and I'm in the midst of "The Change". I've noticed the weight gain (especially over the holidays), my work schedule has been crazy and I haven't been able to work out like I was before - The entire month of December was very stressful with work and my dad being in the hospital. But I'm not experiencing the depression - I'm dealing with RIDICULOUS ** HOT** FLASHES ** - and I mean crazy hot flashes. And some anxiety/irritability but that's about it so far.

I've started reading up on and using essential oils - my sister-in-law is big into using them so we'll see if some of the "potions" help. :)

My Hubby got me a Samsung Gear Watch that has a step counter for Christmas - very cool. I do feel better now that I'm working out again... I think that has been the best medicine for me so far. <3 But I have considered learning more about a low carb diet, Which will be hard b/c my hubby makes home brew that is REALLY good but I think for the most part I could do it for the day-to-day meals, and pick a day on the wknd to treat myself.

• cdover10
    cdover10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Which essentials are you using and how do you apply them? My hot flashes are crazy too. I can't tell you how many I have a day. Trying to find some relief.