Ideal Protein turned Keto Diet

Options
barnumboy
barnumboy Posts: 20 Member
Hi all - new to the Keto board. I lost 90 lbs on Ideal Protein in 2013-2014 and have gained back 25 due to lack of monitoring what I ate - and maybe a bit too much wine ;-). I started back on an Ideal Protein-like diet, but still felt hungry all the time. I knew about the Keto diet and read up more so I started on it yesterday. I am amazed at not feeling famished before meals/snacks, and I cut out my 3pm snack altogether this weekend since I was not hungry. I run 4-5 days/week and even with running this weekend, I am not utterly starving between meals.

Looking for a place to share and learn from those going through this same ordeal.
I'm setting my goals at 75/20/5 to lose the 25 lbs. I'm already in ketosis since I was cutting carbs with IP since the end of September.

Any advice or tips are welcome!

Thanks ~ Monica

Replies

• kotoula01
    kotoula01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm in the same boat as you, coming back to keto after gaining back 25 lbs...so frustrated. I am a runner also, training for my first marathon this november. It's actually hard to believe that one can run this much and still gain weight, but I'm living proof lol. I joined the OKL facebook group, and I would recommend it as it helped me to understand the need to NOT eat unlimited amounts of fat...and to up my protein. They have a MFP group as well. You can add me if you like so we can share food ideas etc. I also want to try IF because I hear it really helps a lot. I try to have my calories for the day done by 4pm. All the best, Maro
  • barnumboy
    Options
    Hi Maro - I trained for the NYC Marathon in 2010 and did not lose weight either. Knowing what I know now, I was eating way too many carbs! I am currently aiming for 65-75% fat, where I use to do that much in Protein on IP. I'll check out the group - thanks for the info!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone! Please also check out the main keto group on MFP:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Some of us from there do regularly stop in to this group too though.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

That is my main group too, I check a few out but have learned a lot over there, I'm set at 70/20/10 at 1500 cals been woe 5 weeks lost 16lbs sw 194 cw 177, I would say the added fat has kept me full so get it in and also sodium to keep headache away! Good luck!
  • barnumboy
    Options
    ettaterrel - nice job on the loss! I agree I have felt much fuller too. I'm set at 70/25/5, but having a hard time getting down to 5% carbs, so it's closer to 8 or 10. Usually by 11:30am I am ready for lunch - yesterday, I had to stop and make myself eat at 12:45 to keep on schedule. But I am staying in my limits, so I am going to trust the process!
  • barnumboy
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

That is my main group too, I check a few out but have learned a lot over there, I'm set at 70/20/10 at 1500 cals been woe 5 weeks lost 16lbs sw 194 cw 177, I would say the added fat has kept me full so get it in and also sodium to keep headache away! Good luck!

Thanks! I put in my request to join that group!
  • newtrack
    newtrack Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    barnumboy wrote: »
    Hi all - new to the Keto board. I lost 90 lbs on Ideal Protein in 2013-2014 and have gained back 25 due to lack of monitoring what I ate - and maybe a bit too much wine ;-). I started back on an Ideal Protein-like diet, but still felt hungry all the time. I knew about the Keto diet and read up more so I started on it yesterday. I am amazed at not feeling famished before meals/snacks, and I cut out my 3pm snack altogether this weekend since I was not hungry. I run 4-5 days/week and even with running this weekend, I am not utterly starving between meals.

Looking for a place to share and learn from those going through this same ordeal.
    I'm setting my goals at 75/20/5 to lose the 25 lbs. I'm already in ketosis since I was cutting carbs with IP since the end of September.

Any advice or tips are welcome!

Thanks ~ Monica

I started on Ideal Protein too! Was very successful with it but was tired of buying their expensive foods (and just tired of their food in general!). I also really missed cheeses and cream, and was hungry much of the time. I quit IP last November and gained about 13 lbs. I decided to restart a few weeks ago then stumbled on the Keto woe, read up on it and decided to make the big change. I love it! Never hungry and I don't feel deprived.
  • barnumboy
    Options
    @newtrack that's exactly how I felt too. I sent you a PM.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Your macros are all wrong. Best do more research.
  • annie422
    annie422 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    kotoula01 wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm in the same boat as you, coming back to keto after gaining back 25 lbs...so frustrated. I am a runner also, training for my first marathon this november. It's actually hard to believe that one can run this much and still gain weight, but I'm living proof lol. I joined the OKL facebook group, and I would recommend it as it helped me to understand the need to NOT eat unlimited amounts of fat...and to up my protein. They have a MFP group as well. You can add me if you like so we can share food ideas etc. I also want to try IF because I hear it really helps a lot. I try to have my calories for the day done by 4pm. All the best, Maro

Hi Maro, would love to know the full name of the OKL facebook group. when I searched OKL I got Oklahoma State stuff.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    annie422 wrote: »
    kotoula01 wrote: »

Hi Maro, would love to know the full name of the OKL facebook group. when I searched OKL I got Oklahoma State stuff.

OKL is Optimal Ketogenic Living, I think.
  • oneuh2
    oneuh2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I lost 80lbs on IP, did not phase off properly, and have regained close to 30 of the lost pounds - gotta get back on track to lose and hope that a keto approach might be easier to bear - less costly and fewer of those periods of the hungries.

How is it going for you other former IPeeps in this group?

Which ketogenic plan are you all following?
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I'd lost weight in the past on the Dukan Diet. Gained 20 lbs from Aug '14 to Aug '15 so I've been working to lose that. I've lost 13 lbs since I started keto on 11/2. Overall I've been happy with it; less hunger and fewer cravings than when I've done other low-carb diets!
    I aim for 1350 cals/day and my macros are 65/25/10. I do also eat back half or more of my exercise calories.