Save money, stay healthy, make your own gf BREAD!

Options

Hello Gluten free friends!

I started baking my own bread recently because I was reading that a lot of gf bread brands are total garbage. It's so processed and refined that you might as well eat Wonder Bread ( we all know how great that is for you). My goal was to bake a true multigrain gf bread without all the added crap. Yesterday I came across a recipe that I'm pleasantly surprised to say came out AWESOME! It actually tastes like bread!

Here's the link: http://m.landolakes.com/recipe/3074/sandwich-bread-gluten-free-recipe

I swapped the milk for almond milk and the butter for earth balance (because I try to do dairy free) and also went easy on the sugar. I also used oat flour instead of the generic gf flour mix (I've read that tapioca and rice flour have a high GI, so I was trying to find a more whole grain alternative). Lastly, I threw in some raw oat flakes and sesame seeds to add extra fiber.

The instructions are a bit tricky. But I'm probably the worlds most novice baker and I was able to do it! Just take your time and read them carefully. It turned out great! I highly recommend anybody who's gf out there to bake their own gf goods. It's not as hard as it seems, it's much healthier and saves you $$$ !

Replies

• Cindyp22
    Cindyp22 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the gluten free recipe link!! I've been recently diagnosed with celiac disease and need all the help I can get! THANKS!!!!
  • moma4boys
    moma4boys Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I make bread when I have time but have little extra with a very demanding job and 4 kids. There is some gf bread I found at Cosco. It comes in 2 loaf packages, each one vacuum sealed and does not need to be toasted to taste normal. I usually freeze one. The bread is called "The Essential Company Gluten Free Super Seeded Multi-Grain Sliced Bread." It is 100 calories per slice and is $7.50 for 2 loaves which is not horrible for gf bread. It is free of dairy, nuts, and soy as well. I also prefer to bake bread but often do not have time.