Heartburn?

Options
marlamp10
marlamp10 Posts: 26 Member
I've been at this about three months now, with the first month at <50 carbs a day, and after that a LCHF macro of 80/15/5 (which is about 18 carbs/day for me).

I've mostly felt really good on that ratio, but have noticed over the last several weeks that I'm experiencing some fairly regular heartburn/reflux, especially in the evenings. I tend to skip breakfast (or maybe coffee and cream only), then eat between around 2pm-10pm, so I can see the possibility that just the timing of my meals could be a problem in itself. I've always been a late eater, and I often don't go to bed until after midnight.

But are there certain high-fat foods that are more likely to cause heartburn than others? My fats come primarily from almond butter, coconut oil, cream, and cream cheese. Some days it's pretty heavy on the dairy. I've been wondering if the dairy fats are the problem, or if it's just the high fat in general.

I know most people say their heartburn goes away once they go lowcarb, and mine did, too, at least for awhile. Have any of you had it start back up, or found it to be connected to specific fats?

Finally gave in and took a Zantac two nights ago, and it worked right away. I just don't want to get in that habit if I don't have to.

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I have had issues with heartburn forever. I'm in the process of getting an ulcer to heal right now. LCHF hasn't fixed that for me yet. I do have to take Protonix, and Zantac daily. I haven't been able to correlate any particular foods with the symptoms either. I have ordered some Kombucha (recommended by these wonderful people here) to try. If I understand correctly, it's fermented cabbage and it's supposed to help the acid levels in the gut. I've been unable to find any in my area so I ordered it from Amazon. Supposed to be here on the 4th of Jan. There was a thread about this not too long ago that may help you too!
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Mine went away for about 9 months but has come back recently in a slightly different form. Now it feels more like throbbing pain, but it's still indigestion. I've noticed for me it happens after I eat peanut butter, but only sometimes. I assume in my case it's the sugar in the peanut butter (because it's regular peanut butter, not sugar free).
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    Mine went away for about 9 months but has come back recently in a slightly different form. Now it feels more like throbbing pain, but it's still indigestion. I've noticed for me it happens after I eat peanut butter, but only sometimes. I assume in my case it's the sugar in the peanut butter (because it's regular peanut butter, not sugar free).

I have also noticed that it coincides with sugar more than the fats for me. Are you eating sugars that might be the cause? It used to be that I could not eat pepperoni or sausage at night without being up in the middle of the night with heartburn, and it was even getting to the point that hamburger would do it too. But now I can eat any of that with no problems.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My heartburn has greatly improved since going keto, unless I have a lot of coffee and then it is more of an acid reflux thing going on that just standard heartburn. I have been doing BPC for breakfast several times a week and notice that I tend to have heart burn/reflux if I drink anymore coffee than that. I usually follow up the BPC with a cup of black coffee because hey, I love coffee <3 . If it only loved me as much :( Maybe because I am not putting anything solid in my belly is the cause of the heartburn and coffee is really acidic going into an acidic environment and I am having acid overload?? So maybe it is due to an acidic food you are eating? Just throwing around ideas here since honestly I don't have an idea. :#

I usually don't eat lunch until after 12 or longer depending on what time I drank the BP coffee. It usually holds me 6+ hrs before I get tummy grumbles for food at work and even longer at home so I don't plan on giving it up as I am not a breakfast fan unless I am starving. I will just have a Tums and go on my merry way those mornings. That seems to be what is doing it to me. Throughout the day I am good and I have been able to go off my reflux meds. On mornings that I have a "regular" breakfast, I have no heartburn/reflux.

And on a brighter note, I have not had any gastritis flare ups since going LCHF. I was having a flare up every other month it seemed. I don't know what the correlation is there, some more science-y mind might know, but other than the occasional reflux I have had no stomach pains/issues at all which is glorious.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that in the vast majority of cases, heartburn is actually caused by too little acid in the stomach. Next time you have an attack, instead of reaching for the calcium, take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and mix with about 8oz of water and drink. It sound counterintuitive, but it will likely work, especially if you have limited results with things like Tums or need to take Zantac/Prilosec all the time. If that does work, look into bile salt or Betaine HCl supplements to help raise your stomach acid level.

The reason this happens is because, if we're on low fat for an extended period of time, take a lot of acid-blocking substances, or we raise our fat intake drastically and suddenly, our body doesn't make enough bile and stomach acid to handle it (fat is broken down in the stomach), causing indigestion and other GI issues. Time is often all that's needed, but some people need help in the meantime or need help permanently (due to enzyme deficiencies).
  • marlamp10
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Keep in mind that in the vast majority of cases, heartburn is actually caused by too little acid in the stomach. Next time you have an attack, instead of reaching for the calcium, take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and mix with about 8oz of water and drink. It sound counterintuitive, but it will likely work, especially if you have limited results with things like Tums or need to take Zantac/Prilosec all the time. If that does work, look into bile salt or Betaine HCl supplements to help raise your stomach acid level.

Thanks! I'll check that out.
  • marlamp10
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    Mami1976D wrote: »

I have also noticed that it coincides with sugar more than the fats for me. Are you eating sugars that might be the cause? It used to be that I could not eat pepperoni or sausage at night without being up in the middle of the night with heartburn, and it was even getting to the point that hamburger would do it too. But now I can eat any of that with no problems.

I'm being pretty careful on the sugars, except for the couple of glasses of wine I've had in the last week--those didn't exactly coincide with the heartburn, but maybe it contributed. I think the last time I had any real sugar was eating a piece of real chocolate pie on Thanksgiving, and the heartburn problems didn't start up until weeks after that. When I eat nut butters, it's natural almond butter.

But I do drink coffee, and eat a lot of heavy meats (especially sausage and ground beef chili). I'm going to keep watching this and see if it improves on its own.
  • SoosannahK
    Options

The reason this happens is because, if we're on low fat for an extended period of time, take a lot of acid-blocking substances, or we raise our fat intake drastically and suddenly, our body doesn't make enough bile and stomach acid to handle it (fat is broken down in the stomach), causing indigestion and other GI issues. Time is often all that's needed, but some people need help in the meantime or need help permanently (due to enzyme deficiencies).

See I knew a wise old soul would show up with a good answer. This makes sense to me as seeing as how I am dumping a lot of fat on an empty stomach with the BCP. And as how my BCP is twice the amount of fat as a "normal" breakfast of eggs fried in butter with a couple slice of bacon(sometimes if I feel like cooking. I hate cooking bacon for some reason) when I eat breakfast. can see how this fat "overload" is occurring on those mornings. A Tums usually settles me down if I feel it gets bad enough to take one. Usually it passes on its own or when I eat something solid.

The sound of the ACV makes me feel all gaggy lol even though I always dump a ton on my collards. There is just something very unappealing about a ACV shooter.

I had been on Prilosec for awhile for my gastritis and reflux but went off of it after my last gastritis resolved (just kind of stopped taking it because I am horrible at remembering medications unless I am in pain).

Thanks for the insight!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, taking tums and using acid blockers might alleviate your symptoms at the time, but they do nothing to remedy the actual problem which I heard the same as @Dragonwolf described. You need the acid to digest the food. The indigestion, occurs often due to there not being enough to handle the given food. So, you end up with it all just sitting there churning basically. Blocking the little acid there is, to soothe the beast can prevent proper digestion.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    SoosannahK wrote: »

The sound of the ACV makes me feel all gaggy lol even though I always dump a ton on my collards. There is just something very unappealing about a ACV shooter.

A couple of tablespoons in a glass of water tastes like a light wine, really. But you could also probably add it to other things to disguise it, tea maybe?

• SoosannahK
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    SoosannahK wrote: »

A couple of tablespoons in a glass of water tastes like a light wine, really. But you could also probably add it to other things to disguise it, tea maybe?

Ooooh, I like wine but tend to not to drink it because I just don't have a taste for alcoholic beverages anymore. I might try it and see. I'll get back to you on my thoughts and if indeed it is either gaggy or winey.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I just drank the acv in water. How long before I know it has, or hasn't, helped? What do you recommend @Dragonwolf if it doesn't? Would you go ahead with a try on the bile salts? I'm so tired of taking these acid blockers! I'm 48 years old and have been taking them since I was 24! Omg, that's half of my life! These doctors are stuck on what presumably helps, instead of taking the time to find the root cause! No telling what the long term use of these "wonder drugs" has done to me!

Don't mean to hijack your thread OP! This has been an issue of mine for far too long!
  • CrewZen
    CrewZen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks this is all very helpful. I too have had a mild resurgence of heartburn which I had attributed to increased dairy. I'll try some Bragg's ACV drinks to see if it helps.
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I have had issues with heartburn forever. I'm in the process of getting an ulcer to heal right now. LCHF hasn't fixed that for me yet. I do have to take Protonix, and Zantac daily. I haven't been able to correlate any particular foods with the symptoms either. I have ordered some Kombucha (recommended by these wonderful people here) to try. If I understand correctly, it's fermented cabbage and it's supposed to help the acid levels in the gut. I've been unable to find any in my area so I ordered it from Amazon. Supposed to be here on the 4th of Jan. There was a thread about this not too long ago that may help you too!

I'm not sure if there is a kombucha "mother" made with cabbage or not but traditional Kombucha is fermented green (or black) sweet tea. You can make your own by growing a scoby (the fermenting mother) from a bottle of kombucha that you buy - which you can then add to your own room temperature sweet tea flavored however you like it to make more kombucha.
    Keep in mind that in the vast majority of cases, heartburn is actually caused by too little acid in the stomach. .....

Yep! I think because it is often associated with a very common bacteria H. Pylori which thrives in low acid environment. Stress tends to lower your stomach acid. I learned all this last year when my 15 yo had an ulcer and ultimately missed 3 months of school because Drs who failed to diagnose h. pylori gave her acid reducing meds.
    BTW if you get tested for h. pylori know that there are three antibodies but some Drs only test for one of them. Also, there is a tea you can buy that supposedly eradicates the bacteria within a month, guaranteed.

- Lisa
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thank you for correcting me on the Kombucha! I read so much that it tends to run together sometimes!

Report on my acv dose from earlier. I feel that it's helped! I may have used a bit much (2 tbsp in 12 oz. water), and have been tasting it ever since. I'm headed now to find me some bile salts! Thank you @Dragonwolf!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I made it through the night without any wake ups from heart burn. I did order me some bile salts/enzymes from Amazon (I'm very rural, any places that may have them is an hour's drive from me) and will be here by Monday. Would I keep using the acv for heartburn until I get them?

I am excited about eliminating two more prescription medications! I didn't think these were possible to discontinue, for me!

Thank you @marlamp10 for beginning this thread! You never know how many people you can help when doing so!
  • SoosannahK
    Options
    I'm still too chicken to try the ACV but I haven't had heartburn either.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Awesome to hear, @Karlottap! Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

For general reference, most cases of heartburn will see relief shortly after drinking it (at least the start of relief), and sometimes even before you're done, with total or majority relief coming within a few minutes, in my experience. However, more "advanced" cases (such as yours, with the long-term acid blocker use) might require a little more time and a little more than the 1tbsp in water, simply because of the level of acid being so low.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options

This is great info. Have you heard of Dr. Berg? A lot of what you are saying he talks about. I get heartburn too....but usually only when I drink wine :-(
    I drink Braggs apple cider vinegar 3 times a day with water before meals. It's very good for you! Mine heartburn is getting better.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    esaucier17 wrote: »

This is great info. Have you heard of Dr. Berg? A lot of what you are saying he talks about. I get heartburn too....but usually only when I drink wine :-(
    I drink Braggs apple cider vinegar 3 times a day with water before meals. It's very good for you! Mine heartburn is getting better.

I recall having seen his body type quiz before, but I haven't paid much attention to him (video-only blog, with no transcripts or notes are a pretty big turn-off for me). He seems pretty low-carb friendly from what I've been able to glean from his site, though.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this topic, marlamp10, my husband has extreme heartburn , and I have learned a lot of great info. So I am copying Dragonwolf's post to let him read for himself..... he never believes anything I tell him...sound familiar to anyone...Men!! lol