Just changed by Diary Settings/Goals UP! Bulking or Reset??

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Good idea - since there are still couple companies at least out there that deliver home meals in the Zone, places to eat catering to that should be easy too.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    great thread. i've been toying with reverse dieting for a while, since I got sick of eating 1400 calories as 185lb male. just started last week. in to follow!
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I'm back from National Realtors Convention in San Diego. Beautiful weather! We had a fantastic time. It was business but we had parties to attend at night. I hit over 100k steps this week on the fitbit but no lifting since Wednesday. I'm headed to the gym this morning. Thur-Monday we ate out 3x a day with a LOT of alcohol. Traveled on Tuesday we didnt eat much but it was all salty. Needless to say I'm up. I know some of this will level out from sodium but I think I'm going to retain some. I'm reserving judgement for now but today I weighed in at 177.4. That's a big upswing! But we had 4-8 drinks every day. That's a ton for me. I'm going to meal prep today and eat low sodium, lots of water, and green drinks. I'll check in next week. I'm tossing around the idea of cutting early. It's hard to go back to 2400 up this high. Im not sure what to do. It's easy to eat high when youre not gaining and I know this gain wasn't from 2400 calories but salt/ alcohol but the temptation is there !

• heybales
    Options
    Base the TDEE on the prior weight, not current weight - just one suggestion.

Since that type of retained water (alcohol's effects are done as soon as body rids itself of the toxins pretty quickly BTW) doesn't add much to the metabolism, no need accounting for it.
  • KickboxDiva
    Options
    OK Guys- I got some feedback from my Macro Coach and had a day to talk myself down so I figured I wouldn't leave you hanging. I decided to go ahead and work towards my original plan. I weighed in today at 175.8 so a bit has flushed out and I am up about 3 lbs. Just because I'm feeling a little gross I might go a little lower just the rest of this week. However, my coach says to keep pushing to eat the fitbit burn but to swap it out to eat it on the day I burn it rather than a steady calorie level all week. We'll see what the next few weeks brings. I did bench chest press yesterday and PR 125 x 3 unassisted. Today I did hack squats 450 on the rack 10x10. So I felt pretty good leaving the gym that I "redeemed myself" in the weightroom. Eating to Perform.. I'll just keep repeating it to myself.
  • KickboxDiva
    Options
    Oops. I meant reclining leg press. That would have been impressive!
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Great job. Thanks for the update. Stay the course- its inspirational!
  • KickboxDiva
    edited November 2015
    Options
    saranharm wrote: »
    Great job. Thanks for the update. Stay the course- its inspirational!

Thanks. I'm glad I started this diary of sorts. Having the freedom this time of year is great and also a struggle. Knowing my success will fuel others to succeed is good motivation for me. I've been fumbling around the last few days. Calories are in check but macro ratios aren't good. I need to get it together so i can post great results! I really want this reset to work and to be able to cut at 1900-2000. I keep reminding myself when I'm tempted to run back to the restriction or to let the macro ratios slide. I have data to prove ( for my body) the higher protein and balanced macros are important.
  • KickboxDiva
    Options
    Hi guys so today is the start of week 11. I was tracking clean-ish calories all the way through week 6 1/2. Went on vacation to San Diego came back and had Thanksgiving and it's been a lot of food and alcohol. I think more than anything this is a mental game I was feeling guilty which made me feel fluffy and it's been hard to track because the food is not stuff I've been making myself. But I have a calendar that I have used off and on through the whole year periodically checking my weight tracking time of month calories in and out so I can look back over it and see where I was. Realistically, since November 12 when we went to San Diego and I started the food and alcohol fest, I am up 3 pounds. Compared to this time last year when I was eating a consistent 1200-1700 cal I'm up 5 pounds so I know that three of that was just from recent changes and I can basically maintain my weight on nearly 2400 cal. I feel healthy I feel strong I feel in perspective today. I'm going to continue with my goal for my reset all the way through December and come in January motivated to start with the cut. Going to enjoy the rest of these holidays , I have meal prep for during the week and I will enjoy the actual holidays eating what makes me feel happy and good without excessive consumption. Just wanted to check in with you guys. it has been a difficult last three weeks getting through Tom and a separate stressful family situation. I realize a lot of those feelings were stress and hormonal and I'm still very happy with my current state of health and fitness. We can do this!!
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    loving this thread! Thanks for updating us :)
  • KickboxDiva
    Options
    Good evening. Don't have much to report that's exciting but it should be expected. Lots of parties = unknown macros= scale gains. I'm 177.6 today. I'm really looking forward to structure. I've been tracking about 2200 but I really don't know since so much is eating out Ect. I'm not thrilled to see that number but thankful it happened towards the end of my bulk. I've tried to choose only " worth it" foods so I at least feel good about having enjoyed things I wanted and i think it will help with the stricter low sodium diet I'm planning. My husband went to the gym w me this week and reported, " some of the scale gains are muscle for sure". He said I'm growing in a good way so that's good. My waist feels squishy and doesn't look Great wearing my weight training belt but I feel good dressed. On the home stretch. I hope hope hope the reset was long enough and effective. I'm not sure how to tell when it's been long enough. My mental is good. I feel positive about the decision I made. You can't diet 365 days a year.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update. I like following others journey. The mental thing seems to be a big part of this method.

• heybales
    Options
    Realistic perspective. And that's what's nice with proper view - once you start the deficit - nothing says after 4 weeks when you know there will be a week of family visits and tough to be accurate meals - you take a diet break purposely.

I've known some that have pretty good yearly schedules like that and plan it out. If too much stretch between non-diet weeks - another is thrown in somewhere.
  • KickboxDiva
    Options
    Starting the cut.. Cleaned out the pantry, fridge and freezer. Using the last of the frozen fish and veggies ect this week then I'll be meal prepping. I've been at 2400 and I intended to go to about 1900. Accidentally ended my day around 1600 and I feel like I'm starving. Lol I'm starting a bit up from holidays. 178. I'll be scaling back on the weights, adding in more reps and old school cardio between sets. I'm also cutting 1 weight training day and increasing 1 cardio day. That will put me 3 days lift 3 cardio only. I'm looking to hit a 500 cal burn on my fitbit those cardio days minimum and keep my food deficit to no more that 500 to average a pound a week. Wish me luck. Here's to hoping my reset worked and I can get to sub 20% body fat
  • heybales
    Options
    I'd suggest don't go making vast changes to all potential variables at once - which you are.

If you think you were anywhere near TDEE with routine you had - you just changed the routine. TDEE is no longer valid.

Like if your lifting was heavy - the mere inclusion of cardio between sets will ruin that ability because it impacts recovery to go as heavy on next set.
    If you can't go as heavy or make progress with more weight - you are no longer putting a load on the muscles that demands improvement - but rather the cardio system.

And changing from 1 day weights to cardio changes the TDEE too.

So you are doing a 20% deficit from old eating level which I guess you are assuming is TDEE, while at the same time increasing the TDEE and therefore the deficit to more than 20%.

So just wanted to share the math if you didn't do back of envelope at least to see it in writing.

This is almost sounding like the combo that gets people in trouble - big changes to eating less and moving more.

Suggest you keep manually logging the lifting in Fitbit so you get decent estimates of TDEE in the weekly reports, and keep the deficit eating level to whatever is reasonable - which could easily be higher than 1900.

Don't be afraid to change that eating level based on an old estimated figure that no longer applies.

You can do.

• KickboxDiva
    Options
    Yes, I know you are right. It's hard not to go back to old habits and force a quick change. My trainer and even my husband a little are skeptical of my attempt to reset. They are old school and I did gain some weight so I'm really eager to prove I was right with my new science. But I do want to be long term successful. It's part of the struggle ... not to just go at it.
  • KickboxDiva
    Options
    I'm also considering taking the 3500 weekly deficit and splitting it so it's much lower deficit on weightlifting days and more on rest & cardio. When I do cardio it's pretty light, measuring 500 on the fitbit burn, so it's easier to eat less those days.
  • heybales
    Options
    That is a valid way of doing it.
    Eating a set TDEE-deficit goal means literally on some days bigger deficit than other days. There is nothing wrong with setting that up in the first place.

And recovery cardio is indeed higher % fat burn than intense - so bigger deficit that day not so bad.

But if willing to take bigger deficit, should also be willing to take no deficit on a day that could use it - perhaps that is the day after the biggest lifting day - or both. If lifting in the morning, then that day could be TDEE day. Rest day minor deficit, cardio day bigger deficit.
  • KickboxDiva
    Options
    Update: Started my cut 1/1. Yesterday I went to my trainer and we did baseline measurements to start the cut using the 7 point pinch. He hasn't talked much about scale weight and knew I was in a reverse/ bulking phase. I stepped on the scale and was 5 lbs up from summer ( last time we did body fat testing). I knew it, planned it, but still hated to see it. However, the body fat measurements were down 3.5%!!! Yay. I'm so excited to see some proof. I saw new muscles in the mirror but the number on the scale was in my head. I'm feeling very motivated to stay the course and lean out to see all the awesome new muscle I've been building this year.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Update: Started my cut 1/1. Yesterday I went to my trainer and we did baseline measurements to start the cut using the 7 point pinch. He hasn't talked much about scale weight and knew I was in a reverse/ bulking phase. I stepped on the scale and was 5 lbs up from summer ( last time we did body fat testing). I knew it, planned it, but still hated to see it. However, the body fat measurements were down 3.5%!!! Yay. I'm so excited to see some proof. I saw new muscles in the mirror but the number on the scale was in my head. I'm feeling very motivated to stay the course and lean out to see all the awesome new muscle I've been building this year.

Awesome!!!

Makes me want to get bodyfat tested but i am unsure of what kind. We live in a teeny, tiny town way a way from everything so probably no options here. And I don't want to spend a lot of money.