May 2016 Babies

Options
stc1982
stc1982 Posts: 7 Member
Hi everyone. I am 33 years old and currently 4 months pregnant with my first child. I am looking for some other mom's-to-be to share experiences with.

I made the mistake of eating whatever I wanted throughout the first trimester and gained about 15 lbs...yikes! On top of eating like a pig, I was exhausted, in bed by 8:00 most nights, so I had no energy to exercise. I had bad cravings and caved in to most of them...overall, bad start!

Now I am 4 months along and starting to get my energy back, less cravings and the nausea is officially gone. Yay! I now have some cramping, my right thigh is almost always numb and I have BAD heartburn. TUMS have become my new bedtime snack. lol

What types of exercises and healthy snacks have you been doing/having during your pregnancy?

Replies

• stc1982
    stc1982 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When is everyone due? I'm due May 28th. :)
  • joanneinwonderland
    Options
    Hi! I have just found this forum and I'm DELIGHTED! I'm due May 29 th so very close!

I have been feeling awful too and finally feeling like I can eat better! This is no 2 and after gaining 50lb with my first and not losing it after I'm determined not to gain that again!
  • EmmaDetermined
    EmmaDetermined Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi Joanne, I am due in June, but the very beginning so I am only a few days behind you. There is no action on the due in June thread so may join you ladies if you don't mind. I gained 35-45 pounds with my other three and still have the last lot of that to get rid off so I really have to be careful not to add too much more this time.

Stc, I was eating lots of fruit and veg, but then tried to decrease carbs and increase protein and I went over on carbs if I had too much fruit. I often make vegetable soup with a few lentils for protein but otherwise just whatever veg I have and a bit of tomato sauce (passata). I make a small pot and then eat it for snacks when I am feeling peckish. I haven't been doing it over Christmas though but plan to do so tomorrow as I miss it!
  • joanneinwonderland
    Options
    Hi Emma I moved from 5th June to 29 May on my first scan so we are super close! I am tracking cals again now although not eating very healthily given all the crap that's in the house but I'll get there!

X
  • EmmaDetermined
    Options
    Glad I am not alone in that - I am sticking to my calories, but ashamed of how much of it is chocolate! Just before Christmas I was thinking that I had not had any chocolate for months and didn't crave it at all. That cycle is well and truly broken after Christmas. Time to get healthy again!

x
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Hey May mommas! Due May 6th with #2! (Our daughter was born May 29th - May is my favorite birth month)

I've been trying to keep up with jogging, squats, and push-ups as much as possible, but I admit to having become such a slacker later. Back at it today since I know I ate way too much over the holiday! Not really modifying my diet as long as it fits my calorie goal... I crave pizza and chocolate every day, lol.

I was still 122 (pre-pregnancy weight) at 16 weeks, but I'm sure the scale will be up Wednesday at my 21 week check-up. I only gained 14 lbs with #1, so hoping to keep this one under 25 lbs if possible. :)
  • joanneinwonderland
    joanneinwonderland Posts: 9 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm obese. Weight was 219lbs when I stood on last week but that's only 4lbs up from weight when I fell pregnant so not gained a lot so far.

Should my calorie goal be to maintain or lose 1/2 a week?

So hard to admit this and face it
  • marieamethyst
    Options
    Probably maintain and see how that works out as far as the weight gain goes (if you're gaining too fast you can always switch it down), I don't think they actively recommend losing weight on purpose during pregnancy. Your medical provider would be the best to decide that though! Well done on only 4 lbs :)
  • kristen_bures
    kristen_bures Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm obese. Weight was 219lbs when I stood on last week but that's only 4lbs up from weight when I fell pregnant so not gained a lot so far.

Should my calorie goal be to maintain or lose 1/2 a week?

So hard to admit this and face it

Set your settings on here saying you're pregnant and that you want to lose half a pound. It adjusted all my goals when I did that
  • kristen_bures
    Options
    I'm due May 3rd. We are having a boy.

I was obese when I got pregnant at 205. I have gained 30lbs already. This is horrible but like most of you the first trimester was the worst. The only thing I could really keep down was carbs and I ate frequently to keep the nausea down.

I am tracking now and my husband bought me a Fitbit for my birthday so I am trying to walk a min of 10,000 steps a day. I don't have any cravings but I am focusing on eating healthier now that the sickness has subsided.
  • joanneinwonderland
    Options
    Do I need to go premium to set as pregnant? I'd looked but not found anything?

Kirsten my appetite was so poor first tri...so much toast! Relief to eat other food groups!

• joanneinwonderland
    Options
    Marie thanks I'll go maintenance and see how that goes.

Trouble is I don't see consultant til mid Feb and all midwife did was give me a leaflet on healthy eating...helping when the smell of banana made me retch!
  • marieamethyst
    Options
    Aww, not much help at all! I'd treat it like losing weight and just see how you do week to week, and either increase or decrease your calories as needed until you find that sweet spot. Baby will take what they need from you either way. :)

I didn't find anything about switching to a pregnancy setting either, but if you have a FitBit you can change it to pregnancy mode once you're in the second and third trimesters!

Had my 21 week check-up and up 7 lbs from 5 weeks ago. The midwife lectured me about how important it was for me to gain weight at my last appointment, so the holidays must have done the trick! (and no lecture today)

(I'm sure all the Burger King food I had before the appointment helped the scale as well, oops)
  • kristen_bures
    Options
    Awe... Sorry guys for the incorrect info. I think it might have been the Fitbit app that I switched...
  • joanneinwonderland
    Options
    Aha it's a withings activite pop I have!

Thanks ladies going for maintenance cals and will see how that goes trial and error!

Trying to get out walking every day but it's SO cold! I wasn't active enough before falling pregnant so not going to do anything too drastic. Signed up for pregnancy yoga and going to start swimming one night a week too.

2016 will be very different to 2015! Despite this being number 2 I'm going to take time to put me first a bit!
  • RubyDarling
    RubyDarling Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I'm due 7th May with our second, but I'm having a c-section probably a week before my EDD.

I've been feeling really horrid lately, so have started tracking my food again to make sure I'm eating enough and eating properly. Found out I'm severely anaemic which explains the dizzy and fainting spells.

Hoping I can also not gain so much this pregnancy (I'm already overweight, 80kg at 22 weeks) as I did last time.

Really wish MFP had a pregnancy setting!
  • marieamethyst
    Options
    You're right after mine, Ruby! :) Hope the anemia clears up for you - good luck!
  • ajlwngs
    ajlwngs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There's apparently no one due in Feb! I'm 34 and 32 wks pregnant with my first! Baby boy due Feb 28th - and hopefully not a day late (leap year)!! I struggle with obesity most of adulthood. Had a major accident less than 3 years ago that made weight maintenance harder. Had lost 40# down to 216# when I realized I was pregnant. Cheers to tough first trimesters - food aversions were frequent along with N/V and fatigue. 2nd trimester was awesome! Now in 3rd I'm slowing down a lot, having cardiac complications and water retention issues. Trying to stay below 40# mark - should be doable with 15# cushion for next 8 wks. Really could benefit from some pregnancy momma friend/cheerleaders for support on MFP!!!
  • EmmaDetermined
    Options
    Hi ajl and Ruby - welcome! Feel free to add me! I am trying so hard not to gain too much so I am logging and exercising every day and with a few friends there is a bit of banter on the home page.
  • joanneinwonderland
    Options
    I've logged everything this week and eating much more fruit and veg! Actually struggling to eat my cal count but I'm honestly not hungry so I'm not forcing myself to eat for the sake of it.

Went swimming for first time since falling pregnsnt last night and Altho a touch stiff today with usual back ache and it band pains I have foam rollers and feel better for it.

Tomo is Davina DVD during nap time (thurs is my day off) then pregnancy yoga class starts at night!

Sounds like everyone has a positive attitude just now! Great work ladies!