Keto breakfast

Options
yablomx10
yablomx10 Posts: 34 Member
Hey fellow Keto-ers!

I really struggle with what to eat for breakfast while in Keto. I know eggs and bacon and that kind of stuff is fine but during the weekday it's hard enough preparing for work let alone fitting in cooking a meal beforehand. I've tried the egg muffin things and they are awesome but sometimes I get a little tired of eggs. Does anyone out there have any alternative ideas for breakfast foods or recipes you use? I love the Keto diet but breakfast is the one meal that poses the most challenge and struggle for me.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Or don't eat, as "eat something you prepared on a plate"? Most days either I don't eat anything in the morning and I start eating at lunch, or I take a quick spoonful of MCT oil and I'm on my way. I do have coffee of course... ;) Also, you can eat anything for breakfast, also food you've got in the fridge from last night's dinner. There's a lot of cultural conditioning to "breakfast".
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast, but my partner switches up from eggs to Dannon plain yogurt w/ a few berries & a low carb granola I make. The yogurt is portioned into containers w/ berries on the bottom & sit in fridge until needed. Then when ready to eat, topped w/ granola.

I make choco chip cookies from almond meal occassionally (Bob's Red Mill has recipe on back of bag), have munched on a cookie or two w/ coffee on the weekends.

Can split an egg muffin & add a sausage patty (or bacon, or both) & cheese in between the slices for a sandwich, pre-make & toss in the microwave for a quick breakfast.

But yeah, don't get stuck w/ the "breakfast foods" for breakfast mentality. You can eat whatever you'd like or is available. Leftover prime rib is awesome for breakfast!
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    But yeah, don't get stuck w/ the "breakfast foods" for breakfast mentality. You can eat whatever you'd like or is available. Leftover prime rib is awesome for breakfast!

Seriously.

I've had salad for breakfast on several occasions.

Also, there is nothing wrong with having bacon and eggs for dinner.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Food prep is your friend. On the weekends, I chop veggies and meat, and make crepes, cookies, and muffins for the whole week. I don't eat before noon, but hubby does. I do it all on the weekend, it takes less than an hour, and his breakfasts are ready-to-assemble on the weekdays in less than 15 minutes. And that 15 minutes usually includes cooking. If he's only eating ready-to-eat like crepes or muffins, it's less than 2 minutes. Prep work on the weekends will make your entire week easier and ensure you stay on the program.
  • ttw1211
    ttw1211 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I do a protein shake. I use Iso protein, unsweetened almond milk, heavy cream, MCT oil and coconut oil. Is 390 cals and 3 grams of carbs, but the fat keep you full for hours. I drink it around 8 and I have to force myself to eat lunch at 11:30.
    Feel free to add me to see my diary.
    Then I eat eggs and pork roll for dinner :smile: bc like you I don't have time in the morning.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    ttw1211 wrote: »
    I do a protein shake. I use Iso protein, unsweetened almond milk, heavy cream, MCT oil and coconut oil. Is 390 cals and 3 grams of carbs, but the fat keep you full for hours. I drink it around 8 and I have to force myself to eat lunch at 11:30.
    Then I eat eggs and pork roll for dinner :smile: bc like you I don't have time in the morning.

You know you don't have to force yourself to eat lunch at 11:30 am, right? You might try adding a small snack with your shake and see if you can water fast through until dinner. The boost of ketone energy is amazing!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Breakfast can be hard to fit in. I would often have - handful of nuts; wedge of cheese, cooked bacon that I did the night before (or even two nights before) or hard boiled eggs prepared the day before.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I do IF so I break my fast at 1pm ... have done this since even before keto, but depending on how much weight you have to lose you may find keto makes it even easier to go longer between meals.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Re breakfast, you are only limited by your imagination. Here is what I've had for breakfast this past week so far:

Monday:
    Homemade Carrot cake donuts with cream cheese frosting & some HWC

Tuesday:
    Homemade Fruit and Nut Fudge, 1 ounce pork rinds & some HWC

Wednesday:
    Homemade Paleo Coconut Cacao Nub Granola & some HWC

Today:
    1 Carbmaster Blackberry yogurt, 1 ounce rosemary Garlic Pistachios & Almonds & some HWC

Other things I've had for breakfast over the past few weeks are:
    1. 3 ounces Creme Fraiche, 3 ounces fresh blackberries;
    2. 4 homemade Maple Pecan Tahini Candy (Fat Bomb), 2 homemade chocolate peanut fat bombs;
    3. 1 slice Homemade Persimmon Bread & some HWC;
    4. 1/2 LC Foods brand NY Style cinnamon Raison Bagel with 1/2 tablespoon butter, 1 tablespoon Buff Bake Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter and 1 tablespoon sugar-free apricot fruit-spread & some HWC;
    5. 1/8th cup pine nut "flakes" (these are really just pressed pine nuts), 1/8 cup LC Foods Blackberry Cereal, 6 drops berry flavored liquid stevia & some HWC;
    6. 4 Homemade chocolate chip cookies & some HWC;
    7. 1 serving homemade Keto ratatouille, 1 original cheddar thinkrisp (baked "crisp" made of 100% cheese) & some HWC;
    8. 1 serving homemade pralines & cream ice cream; and
    9. Carl's Jr. Turkey burger protein style (no bun) & some HWC.

Not once did I mention bacon and eggs (although there's nothing wrong with that for breakfast either)! lol
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't "eat" breakfast, I have a bullet proof hot chocolate every morning that keeps me full til lunch time. I never thought a drink could be so filling. I'll leave the recipe here in case you are interested :smile:

I use a 500ml soup mug :lol:

-25g protein powder- I alternate between quest chocolate and peanut butter.

- 15g butter

-15g coconut oil

-15g thickened cream

Fill the cup 1/4 the way up with boiled kettle water and blend using a hand immersion blender, then fill to the top with the rest of the hot water. A filling creamy cup of deliciousness!

Comes to 385 calories

Sometimes I also add 15ml of coconut cream
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I tried @Christine_72 's bullet proof hot chocolate yesterday. My Protein powder is pretty sweet, so I think I would cut that back a bit, but it was delicious, and very filling. Fasting today until dinner.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Ive change my thinking - breakfast is just another meal - so I eat what I want and not the traditional menu, and LCHF as well.
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    ttw1211 wrote: »

The fat definitely keeps you full, I've very recently switched to just a "bulletproof coffee" for breakfast with coffee, butter, whole heavy cream, MCTs or Coconut oil and a dash of Stevia, and I don't need to eat lunch til 1pm.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    When I want something quick, I do something like a shake, nuke some dinner leftovers, a lunchmeat/cheese roll-up, a handful of almonds ... plus coffee with HWC. (I wish I liked BPC but during an egg fast several weeks ago, I totally lost my taste for it--and for coconut oil, which I used to love--and now just the thought of it makes me sick.)
  • yablomx10
    yablomx10 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas! The bullet proof hot chocolate sounds delicious! Definitely giving that a try!!
  • ThatFatAsianNerd
    ThatFatAsianNerd Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you don't need to buy any of Dave Asprey's supercharged MCT crap to make your own bulletproof coffee.

My breakfasts usually come about an hour after I lift. I try and fast for at least 15-16 hours before I eat, hence the fasted workouts.

2-3 whole organic eggs (brown ones)
    4-5 slices of bacon
    2 tablespoons of butter
    3-4 slices of Tillamook medium cheddar cheese
  • eomidwife
    eomidwife Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Learning. What it HWC? Thanks
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    eomidwife wrote: »
    Learning. What it HWC? Thanks

@eomidwife Heavy Whipping Cream. I didn't know what it was either when i first came here :wink:
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I culture HWC into yogurt. Had 1/4c of that with some smoked salmon this morning. yum.
  • breezy178
    breezy178 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm like some of the others here, I'll eat dinner for breakfast any day of the week but sometimes I do eat a more typical breakfast. For the past few days I've been eating 4 sausage links that I fry in some ghee. I then fry half an avocado (sliced) in the same pan...and it's got an interesting taste. It tastes like a donut - so weird! It gets brown and crispy on the outside and stays soft on the inside. Then I throw a handful of spinach in the pan and sautée it real quick and that's it. Sounds weird I'm sure, but it's delicious!