How important ARE my macros?

Options
RedDragon09
RedDragon09 Posts: 60 Member
Hi all! I figured this would be an awesome group to ask this question to, and maybe help some other people who run into the same issue I am.

In trying to get my macros close to what my goals are every day, I find myself severely lacking one thing or another (for example, today I was lacking lots of carbs). I find myself then trying to plan exactly what my dinner should be to make my macros look closer to my goals... and that means sometimes dinner is 5 scoops of protein powder, or 3 shots of coconut oil, or 4 packages of oatmeal... Dinner is usually a freaking huge meal on these days, anywhere from 1000-1500 calories to make my pie chart macros look good.

I know, in the long run, pre-planning my meals will prevent my macros from being as whacked as they can get now. But on those days where things just don't turn out like they should, which is more important: my macros being close, or not eating a metric ton of food at the end of the night?

Thanks! :smiley:

Replies

• lmitchellf
    lmitchellf Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I figured this would be an awesome group to ask this question to, and maybe help some other people who run into the same issue I am.

In trying to get my macros close to what my goals are every day, I find myself severely lacking one thing or another (for example, today I was lacking lots of carbs). I find myself then trying to plan exactly what my dinner should be to make my macros look closer to my goals... and that means sometimes dinner is 5 scoops of protein powder, or 3 shots of coconut oil, or 4 packages of oatmeal... Dinner is usually a freaking huge meal on these days, anywhere from 1000-1500 calories to make my pie chart macros look good.

I know, in the long run, pre-planning my meals will prevent my macros from being as whacked as they can get now. But on those days where things just don't turn out like they should, which is more important: my macros being close, or not eating a metric ton of food at the end of the night?

Thanks! :smiley:

I would really focus on keeping a good balance of your macros on those days, honestly. Meal planning will be beneficial to your weight loss, but some days, just maintaining a balance will keep your body primed for losing weight.
  • dropdeadkate
    dropdeadkate Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I second meal planning

Also when you eat is important too. Eating carbs in the morning is better for you than right before bed.

Drink your protein powder shake within 30 mins of finishing your workout to get the max benefit from it.
  • hawkeyebrows
    hawkeyebrows Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh geez, I honestly haven't been paying the slightest attention to macros. Right now just focused on trying to get my 5+ a day of fruits and veg!
  • dropdeadkate
    dropdeadkate Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Oh geez, I honestly haven't been paying the slightest attention to macros. Right now just focused on trying to get my 5+ a day of fruits and veg!

Gotta start somewhere. Do you
  • HiSkyfish
    HiSkyfish Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think they're hugely important. But remember, they're ratios. Look at how balanced your ratios are for the day instead of calories. Eating a whole bunch of food you aren't necessarily hungry for at the end of the day just to balance your macros could be counter productive. I agree wholeheartedly with meal planning. What i found helped last time i was a MFP junkie (back on the wagon now) was to enter in all my food for the day in the morning. That way you have your menu all ready for the day. It really makes things a lot easier. You'll be able to balance your meals more evenly instead of having to scramble around at the end of the day to meet your goals. You're less inclined to add too many extra snacks that way too. Always keep a good 200 calories out of your planned day as some wiggle room in case you DO need something else to eat. If you dont eat them, then that's good too because it just adds to your success.