Night shift crew.

How do you manage your eating patterns when working nights? In the past, I would work and eat all night to stay awake. I will be switching back and forth between nights and days and I need to watch my intake.

Replies

• SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10293737/any-fellow-graveyard-workers-here#latest

Hopefully this will help some. My biggest thing is going to work well prepared, and staying away from vending machines, convenience stores and restaurants. Don't really care for fast food so last one is not much of a problem. I don't carry much cash on me so vending machines isn't much of a problem. Since I get out and about in the ambulance convenience stores are probably my biggest hurdle. If my partner stops, I usually just stay in the truck, otherwise I have just started driving by them without a thought.
  • HedgeHaug
    HedgeHaug Posts: 223 Member
    Hi, @catherineh1027 and @SoosannahK . I worked nights for years. Cooking in batches and packing for the week's matrix helped me. Now that I work days, I continue to batch cook, and now I have a fridge at work ALL to MYSELF! Yes, that's a huge smile you are imagining on my face!

catherinh, when I worked nights, I set up a schedule for meal time. I ate breakfast prior to going in, at around 5PM, then ate dinner/lunch at midnight and a light supper before bed. If I missed a meal, I always carried snacks (perhaps a coconut bomb or small handful of nuts would work?).

SoosannahK, I feel a tiny bit of your pain for when you are on the truck. I also volunteer as a medic, here in my home town. Any ideas on late night indigestion? LCHF does not seem to mix well with the box life, and everyone in the house seems to make brownies and other garbage at night....

dpugqmtxk7zh.jpg
  • SoosannahK
    @sappho123 My indigestion has greatly improved since going LCHF. The only times I have problems now is too much coffee. Someone in another post suggested 1 TBSP Apple cider vinegar in a glass of water. You could always go drink the sodium bicarb off the ambulance (if you carry it)haha. I have threatened to do that several times.

I actually find it easier with the WOE at work, probably because I stay fuller longer and have less cravings, although the baked goods always do look tempting. But after every the Brownie and Fudge Fiasco of Christmas 2015, I am far less tempted. I finally threw out all the cakes that had been sitting on the counter at the station since Christmas yesterday. These people seem to never throw away anything. I am an obsessive cleaner lol. And someone always has a package of cookie dough in the fridge. I usually hide that out of my sight so I don't see it when I open the fridge.

I work 24 hr shifts, so the day before work, I cook and prepare everything for my work day and package it up making sure I have 3 meals or BPC (I make it before I leave for work and put in my travel mug) and 2 meals and a few snacks and a fat bomb or two I can just pop in my mouth on the way to a call if I can't actually stop and eat. I actually ate supper last night on the way to a call. Heat it up and of course the tones are going to drop. :s I also have my emergency can of tuna in my bag. I convinced one of my partners to go low carb (he's enjoying the weight loss) and I have been known to steal his beef jerky :o I tend not to eat after 9 or 10 pm at night. Thankfully after that time I very seldom get hungry and if I am hungry it's a true hunger and not mindless munchies. In order for me to stay on track, I must always be prepared whether at work or at home. That means making meals in advanced, having quick go-to recipes and low carb snacks available.
  • catherineh1027
    catherineh1027 Posts: 39 Member
    Great advice, thank you! I'm a nurse and typically once we get our patients settled for the night it's about half the 12 hour shift of working on charting and chart reviews to stay awake. I'm planning on packing nuts, carrots, nitrite free slices of protein, etc. @sappho123 the schedule is a great idea and I'll have to follow. I get so hungry especially around 3 am!
  • calebsdaddy
    calebsdaddy Posts: 15 Member
    I'm a medic too. Today is day 6 on keto. I have done keto in the past and lost a considerable amount of weight and felt amazing. Then I went back to the SAD and gained a whole bunch of weight, ending up at the heaviest I've ever been.

I agree, it's hard trying to only eat three meals when you are up for 28 hours at a time sometimes. I got up for work at 0400 yesterday, slept from 2000-2100, 0130-0245, and from 0530-600 when I got off. It was hard to not give into the cravings when I was awake so long and when I just wanted a "hit" to get me going again. I quit all caffeine 6 days ago to help with some inflammation symptoms as well, so that's been a double whammy.

I second the thought that if my partner stops, I don't get out of the truck. There is quite literally nothing I need to even look at inside a gas station!

I have to pre-plan and pre-pack meals for shift. I cook three meals with protein and a vegetable for shift. I also bring a big tub of lettuce and a bag of shredded taco cheese. I have decided that I absolutely will not eat after 7 pm while on shift, no matter what. I just don't have the willpower to eat correctly once I get tired, so I'm going to head that off at the pass and just not eat anything!

I chew a lot of SF gum after dark. I know it has some blood glucose effects, but honestly, I can't feel them. The way I figure it, SF gum is better than Reese's peanut butter cups, so I'm going to keep doing it......
  • HedgeHaug
    WOW! So many medics and nurses! What an amazing group! @catherineh1027 3AM is a perfect time for a fat bomb or sesame/sunflower seed crackers and cheese slice! @SoosannahK I do suffer less from indigestion now, but something about the station...hmmmm...bicarb, I'm sure we have some of that around....hmmm... @calebsdaddy your yesterday's schedule makes my stomach turn! Sleep deprivation just makes me physically sick!

Well, you folks have a terrific week!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    RN here too, but am day shift when I work! Shout out too all! I worked ER for three years, so you have my respect. Plus, I did my tenure on nights years ago and understand the struggle. Maybe just some coffee, or tea, with heavy whipping cream? Is filling, and extends satiety! If you aren't hungry, which hopefully, with this woe, you won't be, you won't think about food!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Consider getting that "hit" from a shot of MCT oil. It should help to keep the mental energy up. Or add it to coffee if you have time to drink that.
  • HedgeHaug
    @Karlottap terrific idea, HWC in some tea! I had forgotten all about that creamy goodness!!
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Not sure if this would work with your schedule, but Intermittent Fasting seems to work well for me (overnight). It's easy to "forget" to eat for 12 hour shifts when you are pre-occupied with more work that is so heavily time-of-day/logistics oriented. The main plus is being able to eat all kcals from fresh food, just at a specific interval of time each day.

Others on keto do the whole coffee + MCT/fats bastardized "fasting"...if it works, it works.
  • SoosannahK
    sappho123 wrote: »
    WOW! So many medics and nurses! What an amazing group! @catherineh1027 3AM is a perfect time for a fat bomb or sesame/sunflower seed crackers and cheese slice! @SoosannahK I do suffer less from indigestion now, but something about the station...hmmmm...bicarb, I'm sure we have some of that around....hmmm... @calebsdaddy your yesterday's schedule makes my stomach turn! Sleep deprivation just makes me physically sick!

Well, you folks have a terrific week!

Being up for the whole 24 hr shift does make one a bit queasy. Maybe that's why I am never hungry throughout the night if I am up. Up the whole shift last shift. Came home and slept 9 hrs which essentially ate up one of my days off. Hoping for a better one today.

I second the fat bomb suggestion. One is usually enough to give my tummy a full feeling and curb the hunger pangs and they are portable so you can munch on one walking out the door. No fork required! Just eat them quick before they get all melty. Cheese is always good too although I don't care for crackers. Just slap some cheese in a piece of sandwich meat and roll it up.

@catherineh1027 some great suggestions here and hopefully you can use some that work for you. I think it would stink having to switch between nights and days. Is this a regular ongoing thing? It would mess me up. I work my 24hrs and go home for my 2 days off to regroup and start all over again.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited January 2016
    Security/policing here and I work random strings of graveyard 2100-0500 interspersed with at least two days off. I eat 'breakfast' when I get up - usually around 1300 or 1400, eat dinner with my husband at a normal 1800/1900, go to work and eat my last meal of my 'day' at 2400/0030, with a very small protein snack at 0300 or so. I am asleep by 0600. On my days off I wake up usually around 0930/1000 and have a protein shake breakfast, eat lunch at my normal 1300ish, dinner at my normal time with my hubby, and have a small snack at 2300 or so before I go to bed. Works fine. I like savoury so lots of times it's HB/devilled eggs, old cheddar & celery, or Japanese seasoned roasted nori sheets as a snack. Sometimes pepperoni, or raw nuts such as walnuts, macadamias, or pecans. Mini cans of tuna alongside sliced cucumber in Bragg's Aminos with sesame seeds & Frank's hot sauce. Fresh crunchy mushrooms with a lemon & dill flavoured Greek yogourt dip (homemade).

BTW, 7-11 has some amazing fresh salads (broccoli, cheddar, bacon with a mayo dollop & sauerkraut juice is quite yummy - the sauerkraut juice is my addition from the hot dog bar for more tanginess) Chicken Club or the Chicken Caesar is really good, hold the croutons of course. They also carry little trays of cheese, turkey pepperoni, and pickles.
  • SoosannahK
    @canadjineh 7-11 has been my downfall. Ours has prosciutto wrapped mozzarella in the cold case. I love this stuff and a great little pick me upper. Wish I could find something like it at my grocer so I could bypass the 7-11. They also give us free coffee when we are in uniform, so always very tempting to stop but lately I have just been driving on by because they also have some marvelous sea salt caramels that seem to scream my name.
  • HedgeHaug
    SEA SALT CARAMELS!!!!!!! RUN!!! We have Buccee's down here in Texas. It's like a 7-11, but Buccee is a Beaver. He has every thing from cappuccino and kolaches to cheese, BBQ and hummus. For a beaver, he's pretty savvy. He also sells firepits, deer feeders, surfboards, etc. So on those late night tones, you can pick up a surfboard, bikini and breakfast for your after shift beach blanket bingo with Annette Funicello...!
  • HedgeHaug
    Oh, and HIIIIII! @canadjineh !
  • SoosannahK
    @sappho123 Did mention that they were chocolate covered sea salt caramels???? Yeah I stay away from the 7-11 now. Too dangerous for me in the middle of the night when I am sleepy and weak. Our 7-11 sells coolers and firewood as I am a good 4-5 hrs from the ocean. No surfboards here. Guess I could have a bonfire and roast some weenies over the open fire after work?
  • catherineh1027
    catherineh1027 Posts: 39 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'm the nurse manager for our unit, so when we're short on staff I typically cover. Right now, I'm down a night shift nurse, so until I can hire someone, I'm switching back and forth between office day hours and 12 hours nights. That first night, I can't sleep during the day prior to working and I'm up 24 hours. It's rough. My body won't behave that first day.

I have never made a fat bomb but I keep reading about them. I have a couple of recipes saved that I want to try out. I'm doing well with low carbing so far, but I'm still a little hesitant with the high fat aspect. I had a cholecystectomy a year ago and I still have some pain off and on in my right side. I'm not sure if it's from food or not, but I have increased my fat intake more and I seem to be doing okay. I'm also going grain free and my headaches have cut back a lot. I haven't cut out dairy and milk may be my next thing. I'll have to see how I feel. I tried coconut, almond, rice and cashew milk from the grocery stores and was not a fan because of the taste and lack of creamy texture.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    As an RN I was reluctant to add fat, in the beginning. Once I finally did, I was able to experience true satiety, and food control! The "training" (read brainwashing, lol!) has made us afraid of it!

Please read as much as you can on this topic, because what we have been taught is wrong! Cholesterol Clarity is a wonderful resource! Made me glad that I'm not in a position where I have to administer statins (I don't think I could do it!)! The drug companies have done a terrible injustice, as well as our own corn subsidized government! Really, every patient (almost) is on them! The drug companies are raking it in and they don't want that to change! 26 + billion dollars a year keeps the verbiage strong, even when they've seen the harmful side effects showing up (Dementia symptoms being one that I am seeing in my fil now)!! Do your research and be informed! Saturated fat is needed for health!
  • SoosannahK
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'm the nurse manager for our unit, so when we're short on staff I typically cover. Right now, I'm down a night shift nurse, so until I can hire someone, I'm switching back and forth between office day hours and 12 hours nights. That first night, I can't sleep during the day prior to working and I'm up 24 hours. It's rough. My body won't behave that first day.

I have never made a fat bomb but I keep reading about them. I have a couple of recipes saved that I want to try out. I'm doing well with low carbing so far, but I'm still a little hesitant with the high fat aspect. I had a cholecystectomy a year ago and I still have some pain off and on in my right side. I'm not sure if it's from food or not, but I have increased my fat intake more and I seem to be doing okay. I'm also going grain free and my headaches have cut back a lot. I haven't cut out dairy and milk may be my next thing. I'll have to see how I feel. I tried coconut, almond, rice and cashew milk from the grocery stores and was not a fan because of the taste and lack of creamy texture.

I've had the ol' gallbladder out too due to an EF of 15%. Never had any stones or pain even. I did have phantom pains for about a year after having it removed. I never could have done keto with the gallbladder in because any fat made me terribly sick. I have yet to see the purpose of a gallbladder because I feel much better without mine. I have not really had any issues with all the fat. Truth be told, I am more regular than ever and any digestive issues I had previously have almost resolved completely (IBS, GERD).

I think as healthcare workers we may be a little hesitant to add all the fat because we have had it pounded into our heads and shoved down our throats that fat is bad. My husband has been doing keto along with me though he keeps his carbs a little higher because he can tolerate them better and still lose weight. He recently had his biometric screening done at work. His numbers have greatly IMPROVED since his screening last year when he was on a regular diet. His blood sugar has gone down, his lipid panel is improved and he is now in the lower end of normal on the bad things and his HDL levels have gone up. Evidently his screener must have known something about LCHF diets because she knew he didn't eat sugar/carbs just by his values and told him it shows in his blood work and this was only after about 6 weeks LCHF. All his previous screenings have been borderline horrible, So don't fear the good healthy fats!! We use mostly grass fed butter and coconut oil, but we also have salmon and avocados on occasion as well as our animals fats. I never trim my meats. I think all that yummy flavor is hidden in the fat. He also eats almonds. I tend to avoid nuts because the satisfaction vs carbs isn't enough for me at this time and I am trying to stay low low carb. Although I do love a good cocoa dusted almond. And cheese, tons and tons of cheese.

And I whole heartedly agree with the post from Karlottap, do your own research on the topic of fat.

Hopefully you can hire a new nurse soon, because flip-flopping just sounds horrible.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    @SoosannahK - I have to be gluten free so I don't even go over to the 'other side' of the 7-11 - just stick with the cold case and since sandwiches and wraps and cracker combos are automatically out for me it does make it easier. Tim Horton's has a really good Caesar Salad with lots of bacon and Renee's (amazing!) Caesar Dressing. Again ask them not to put the croutons in before you get your salad, then no temptations.
    We get free hot drinks in uniform too at McDonalds, Timmies, and 7-11. My downfall at 7-11 is a half Pumpkin Spice Latte with 1/2 dark roast coffee. I usually drink my coffee black, so.... NOT a good thing, lol.