In need of support :(

Options
metalmaiden63217
metalmaiden63217 Posts: 22 Member
edited January 2016 in Social Groups
So I am about 4 months into my 6 month physician supervised diet that is required by my insurance company. This weigh in is the first that I gained weight. Last month I lost 12 pounds. This time I gained 4. I am like freaking out because I went to a pre op support group, and they were saying that you even gain a pound that you will be denied. But when I spoke to my general dr, she said that I will most likely not be denied and she will not let that happen. I'm just really sad. I thought I would at least have lost a pound or 2. I have been so good, even through the holidays. I have fl medicaid and am wondering if any of you have been in a similar situation??

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    A pre op recommendation I was given was to use frozen lean cuisine type meals for the pre op weight loss needs. It helped control portions and I lost the required weight needed to have the surgery! Lawd, I wouldn't touch them with a twenty foot pole now! Way too processed and high carb values! We're effective when needed though!
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be too anxious. While I think every pound one can lose before surgery is one less pound they have to use afterwards, I didn't lose much under the pre-op supervised period. No one tried to stop or re-do my schedule, and I needed the surgery to make the changes in lifestyle, eating, excercising that I needed to make. It's been a very positive experience for me, now 14 months post RNYGB and down about 150 pounds.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Definitely try not to stress too much over it. The holidays usually trip up everyone. Colder weather, shorter days can totally drain the willpower.

Did your surgical center give you any guidelines or classes to show you what and how much you should be having? At our first meeting, they put everyone on a 1600 cal limit, emphasizing high protein, and low carbs. They also offered cooking classes to give you recipes that work, as well as a comprehensive nutritional class.

If they are not offering anything like that, another good reference to check is to find groups through Meetup. There are a few pre and post-op Bari groups in my area. They have group fitness days, potlucks, and meetings to discuss successful strategies and offer support.

As far as the pre-op diet goes, protein shakes were my friend. I was having 2 a day, usually on the ride in to work, and then one in the afternoon around 3-4pm. Kept me full and away from other snacks
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My Doctors office said they would only decline you if you go above your program starting weight or gain while on your liquid diet before surgery. I'm sure all insurances and surgeons are different. Sounds like your general dr. is not worried about it so I wouldn't worry either. Just keep doing what your suppose to do.
  • metalmaiden63217
    metalmaiden63217 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I'm on an 1800 calorie diet, I usually workout regularly, and this past holiday really threw me threw a loop. I went away for the weekend and didn't workout a few days in a row. Worst comes to worst, they make me hold out a bit longer to get the surgery. I'm back at it today. Ate really well, cleaned all afternoon, and later gonna get my workout on ;)
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. I actually gained during my seven month weigh-in period and the doctor told me it indicated I was the perfect candidate because I had become insulin resistant and calorie restriction and exercise were no longer working unless at starvation levels. As long as you're making a serious effort, your doc should be able to tell the difference.
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    As women, we can gain as much as five pounds during our monthlies, but I don't think that should be that much to matter. You are still working towards your overall goal, and if your physician isn't worried about it, that so be it.

I don't sweat the small numbers like that. 15 sure, 5, not so much.
  • cassybaca
    cassybaca Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I went through exactly the same thing and my dr was telling me how concerned he was because I gained one month (after losing 50 the previous months mind you) and said he thought I'd fail with the surgery because of it :-( I was so stinking stressed during the required weight loss period and worried about failing and having to start all over again! For me, I had to lose 15% in 6 months and it was very stressful. But long story short, it was fine. I was still approved and now I'm 1 week post-op :-)
  • Bluemajestic
    Bluemajestic Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    So I am about 4 months into my 6 month physician supervised diet that is required by my insurance company. This weigh in is the first that I gained weight. Last month I lost 12 pounds. This time I gained 4. I am like freaking out because I went to a pre op support group, and they were saying that you even gain a pound that you will be denied. But when I spoke to my general dr, she said that I will most likely not be denied and she will not let that happen. I'm just really sad. I thought I would at least have lost a pound or 2. I have been so good, even through the holidays. I have fl medicaid and am wondering if any of you have been in a similar situation??

Have you spoke with the insurance company directly to see if they have a weight loss requirements during the six month phase? I was also required to follow the six months of supervised weight loss visits but was not required to lose any weight, however, once I started to see the bariatric nurse and surgeon they are requiring me to not gain any weight (not the insurance).

Good luck to you! You can do this!
  • krissymae88
    krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm in a very similar situation! I'm in my last month of the pre-surgery diet and it has been a struggle. I lost well at first, gained one month, and stalled a few months too. I'm also on MA, and my team hasn't indicated that my trouble with the weight loss is going to hinder my approval.

For me, I'm glad I'm going through these struggles now and failing now instead of after surgery. I'm learning how to change my entire relationship with food and I think your team knows that sometimes that comes with set backs.

Try not to be too hard on yourself! In my case I know its my habits that I slip back into that get me in trouble, so I have to just get back on top of it and try harder. But if you are having trouble losing while you are doing everything you're supposed to be doing, definitely reach out for help from the professionals. Good luck! We can do it :)
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Keep moving forward day by day. During my preop phase, I would get into month long stalls and it took changing my exercise and really changing up my calories, carbs, etc in order to turn it back around. You'll get there!! Our bodies just get thrown for a loop!