Dreaded Keto Rash

Options
JessicaLCHF
JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
edited January 2016 in Social Groups
Ack, I believe about a week into ketosis, this time I got the dreaded keto rash. Never had it before but it sounds and acts just like all the reading up I've been doing all morning. Any tips that work for this incredibly itchy rash? So far I'm trying to over moisturize it.

After my morning reading I might try lemon juice, coconut oil and selsun blue (dandruff shampoo) as well. I do think it's related to candida die-off, but that's my opinion. Lots of conflicting info out there! I'm also taking a strong probiotic tho some ppl say it helps and others that it makes it worse.

Number one defense: forcing myself not to scratch which is very difficult. Started on the nape of my neck, has since popped up all over except below the knee nor on my face. I even have itchy bumps on the palms of my hands. Thankful it's not on my face tho. :/

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Lots of water, and don't forget the extra sodium! Magnesium is needed too! Epsom salt baths can help!
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    I'm taking magnesium (400) twice a day due to being low already. I'll add Epsom foot baths tho, good idea!
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Yes, tons of water. Trying to flush my system. Some of what I've read suggests a kidney connection. My thought is its toxins coming through the sweat glands.
  • HedgeHaug
    HedgeHaug Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Take a good look at the whites of your eyes and make sure you do not have jaundice. Get other health issues ruled out first, especially if you have a trusted doc.

That being said, try ice or cool cloth to the itchy areas. Ice can help the itching on the palms and warm spots. Try a glycerin free moisturizer. Glycerin based lotions can irritate the "open" or irritated skin.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Can't get to doc till end of the month. Until then I'm trying: Apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, coconut oil applied. I'm taking: probiotics. I'm bathing: with Epsom salts and selsun blue shampoo. Also drinking lots of water.

So far things that don't help at all after a week are: steroid creams and antihistamines
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    No jaundice, tho.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    oh I'm so sorry your dealing with that :( I've never had it when in keto, I do get a burning ammonia smell in my nose though in keto which really sucks too. I usually bring myself out of keto to lessen that as I haven't been able to go long enough to see if it clears up on its own after I adapt. good luck!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    There's a keto rash??! What is it, and does it go away? I have a dry patch on my lip that just won't quit. Now that I think about it, I had a rash on my neck that I thought was from being allergic to my hairdresser's shampoo.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Imo, our bodies rid themselves of toxins any way they can, and through the skin is a major route! Then, the longer we avoid those toxins, it gets better. I am finding this is a process that takes some time. Plus, continued consumption of some hard to avoid toxins (nitrates, gmos, pesticides....) can continue the issue. I haven't figured out an economical way to avoid all toxins, yet!

This is just my opinion, not based on any actual science! Lol!
  • lithezebra
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've been reading up on the keto rash, and dry, peeling lips and skin. It sounds like no one really knows what causes them, other than that they're associated with ketogenic diets, no one knows how to get rid of them, other than eating more carbs, and they can last a long time.

I've read that potassium helps, and no, that was not from a reliable source. I've read that it's some type of yeast imbalance in hair follicles, not from a reliable source. I've read that selenium helps. I've read that someone got rid of it when she gave up aspartame and ace-k. Oy vey.

I'm going to try taking a good multi vitamin for a while to see if that helps. If it does, maybe something is missing from my diet that I could increase without going higher carb. My dry skin is really bothering me.
  • lithezebra
    edited January 2016
    Options
    More possibilities: vitamin A and C deficiencies can cause red bumps and dry skin, and those are things I got more of when I ate more raw fruit and winter squash. Avocados have C, and don't need to be cooked, while leafy greens have beta-carotene, which is more accessible when cooked.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It could be associated with the water loss and perhaps being less hydrated overall than what might be typical for you since carbs tend to come with water retention.
    It's not the same rash of course, but my Dad duffers from terrible rashes from Agent Orange exposure and it recently became very bad when he was dehydrated and had very low sodium.
    I put him on sodium chloride tablets for his low blood pressure (since his doctors were doing nothing) and also magnesium (SloMag) and his rash began to improve in less than 24 hours simply because of being better hydrated.
    Maybe that could at least help a little for you, assuming you're not already taking supplements. If you are, I'd consider increasing the dose.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I've been reading up on the keto rash, and dry, peeling lips and skin. It sounds like no one really knows what causes them, other than that they're associated with ketogenic diets, no one knows how to get rid of them, other than eating more carbs, and they can last a long time.

I've read that potassium helps, and no, that was not from a reliable source. I've read that it's some type of yeast imbalance in hair follicles, not from a reliable source. I've read that selenium helps. I've read that someone got rid of it when she gave up aspartame and ace-k. Oy vey.

I'm going to try taking a good multi vitamin for a while to see if that helps. If it does, maybe something is missing from my diet that I could increase without going higher carb. My dry skin is really bothering me.

Exactly. It's a lot of "that's not possible" and "but I have it" online. Over moisturizing is really seeming to help.
  • Mamarose1900
    Mamarose1900 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's most likely dry skin, especially if you're middle age or older. Low carb tends to make you secrete excess water. As you age the total amount of water in your body decreases, which is why old people have such a problem with dry skin. Add in the diuretic effect of a low carb diet and you very easily can end up with extra dry skin. The key is to stay hydrated, get plenty of sodium (not for the rash, but because sodium is also secreted with the excess water) and use plenty of moisturizer.
  • JessicaLCHF
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ftitkape0a49.jpeg
    It's much more than dry skin. It's red, raised, bumps and incredibly itchy. It almost looks like poison ivy in some places, like on my palms and fingers. In others it looks like 1,000 mosquito bites. I'm familiar with dry skin (have hashimotos) and neurodermititis (which react well to steroids, and is scaly, this does neither).

The worse part is the itchiness. Apple cider vinegar cut half half with water is helping. I'll attach a photo if I can.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Any dryness could be making it worse though... As was the case with my dad as I mentioned. So, not the cause, but one way to maybe get some relief at least. If you think dryness at any level is possible, that is. Just something to consider as you wait for it to heal up.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    FWIW, my stubborn patch of lip peeling has eased up since I took a multi-vitamin yesterday. I can't say that a nutritional deficiency is the cause, but I'm definitely trying to diversify my diet and get more vegetables, vitamin C, vitamin A, and, yes, liver.
  • lithezebra
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ftitkape0a49.jpeg
    It's much more than dry skin. It's red, raised, bumps and incredibly itchy. It almost looks like poison ivy in some places, like on my palms and fingers. In others it looks like 1,000 mosquito bites. I'm familiar with dry skin (have hashimotos) and neurodermititis (which react well to steroids, and is scaly, this does neither).

The worse part is the itchiness. Apple cider vinegar cut half half with water is helping. I'll attach a photo if I can.

That's what I had on my neck, and now behind a knee, although mine responds well to Benadryl cream applied topically. In my case, it could be poison oak, which I get at least a mild case of every time my husband goes hiking.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    I wish mine did. :/ Nothing has helped so far but I just started the ACV today so maybe it will. Antihistamines and Benadryl do nothing. Steroid cream does nothing. Theives oil didn't work.

I'm hoping ACV and coconut oil will do the trick.
  • jrloveless
    jrloveless Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Well that stinks because mine is on my face and if it doesn't go away easily that's going to suck! I may not be able to continue LCHF at this rate. I'm very self conscious when it comes to my face. I've finally gotten better with acne and now just to add in a rash? Crap. *sigh*